To all atheist

by crownboy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• crownboy
    crownboy

I would just like to know how you were able to arrive at your belief system. If I am not mistaken, an atheist is a person who absolutely does not believe in the existence of a god. While I can definitely understand why someone would be averse to believing in conventional theism (inconsistenies, errors in writing), I cannot understand how one can be 100% certain that a god does not exist.

What do you attribute the great intelligence and harmony of the universe to if not to an intelligent creator? (though not necessarily one we must worship). How do you explain how the processes that created the universe came to be? For example, if the universe came into existence because of the "Big Bang", what started it? I look forward to your responses.

Go therefore and baptize the people in the name of the father and of the son... what the hell, we just need to bring up the yearbook numbers!

• Hojon
    Hojon

Are you 100% certain Santa Claus doesn't exist? How about a big pink bunny in the sky? Zeus?

Or do you hold out that they might actually be real?

And as far as primary causes, if the Big Bang required a maker who made God?

• rem
    rem
    If I am not mistaken, an atheist is a person who absolutely does not believe in the existence of a god.

You are mistaken. There are many different types of atheists and there is no "atheist belief system". The only thing atheists have in common is a lack of belief in any diety. Many atheists are agnostic in a sense and there are very few who will say that they are 100% certain that a god does not exist.

What do you attribute the great intelligence and harmony of the universe to if not to an intelligent creator?

What intelligence and harmony of the universe? I see a lot of impact craters on the moon and there are many more on the Earth and all of the other planets. Things are running in to each other all of the time. If a god put this all together, then he/she/they/it is seems to be pretty incompetent. There are many more examples, but I encourage you to do some research on the universe around us. You may find that, although it is wonderful and awe-inspiring, it is not as well designed as you might think - especially for life, even more especially for human life.

rem

'A scientific opinion is one which there is some reason to believe is true; an unscientific opinion is one which is held for some reason other than its probable truth.' - Bertrand Russell

• hippikon
    hippikon

Why invent answers to things you dont understand. Just because the universe is complex we dont have to attribute it to an invisible do nothing that cant comunicate!

"God was evolutions biggest mistake"
    Hippikon
  • AlanF
    AlanF

: I would just like to know how you were able to arrive at your belief system. If I am not mistaken, an atheist is a person who absolutely does not believe in the existence of a god. While I can definitely understand why someone would be averse to believing in conventional theism (inconsistenies, errors in writing), I cannot understand how one can be 100% certain that a god does not exist.

There are many degrees of atheism. You're only describing the strongest form, which only a relative handful of people subscribe to. Most atheists are simply not sure whether a god (obviously you're talking about the Judeo-Christian one) exists or not, but because they see no evidence for his/her/its existence, they lean towards the evidence of their senses.

Many people are convinced that dozens or thousands of gods exist. Is lack of belief in them a type of atheism? You bet. But so what? Now apply that to the notion of a biblical god. Extend it further to the notion of a generalized, supreme creator. If you can understand this, you should be able to understand most atheists.

As for your other question, let's put a different slant on it:

What do you attribute the great intelligence of God to if not to an intelligent creator? (though not necessarily one we must worship). How do you explain how the processes that created God came to be? For example, if God came into existence 'before' the "Big Bang", what started him?

If you're not concerned about these questions, then why would you expect an atheist to be concerned about yours?

AlanF

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Hey AlanF,

God had no beginning. And how should we define the Big Bang?

• Bgurltryal
    Bgurltryal

What...Santa Claus isn't real?!?!?!...*curls into the fetal position rocking back and forth* 'He did bring me presents, he did bring me presents'

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Crownboy,

If you are interested in more than making conversation and really want to know why some people choose atheism you might want to consider making a bit of time investment to get yourself the skills you need to make intelligent choices and decisions.

A lot of Witnesses are sold on the idea of common sense being the ultimate guide for determining what is true and what is false but common sense fails you miserably when it comes to logical or scientific reasoning at times. Scientists have developed mental tools that help us to avoid being fooled or tricked. This is what epistemology is about...namely the study of the nature and grounds of knowledge. In other words, truth telling tools. Once you learn what these tools are and how to use them, then you can spend some more time looking at the vast amount of evidence that has been collected in all branches of science to see if there is either any evidence of intelligent design or if the theory of God, is just that. Until you do that, you are just flying by the seat of your pants without any real investigation and you are much more likely to make an emotionally based decision instead of a logical decision about such an important matter.

Kind Regards,

Skipper

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Hello crownboy, you wrote:

"While I can definitely understand why someone would be averse to believing in conventional theism (inconsistenies, errors in writing), I cannot understand how one can be 100% certain that a god does not exist."

While I am no longer an atheist, I used to consider myself one, and there are a lot of reasons people are atheist. Being 100% certain that God does not exist isn't the only thing - or even always anything at all - that defines an atheist. Some are simply not 100% percent sure that God does exist, and see no compelling reason to be sure. Some have looked at all the suffering in the world and asked, if there is a God how can he let children starve, or die of neglect, or give them to parents who don't love them and deny them to parents who would cherish them? Some have seen war, crime, poverty or personal tragedy and have asked, if there is a God how come the prayers of so many go unanswered every day? Some have read the Bible and studied it and said, what the heck is this? Some can simply see the beauty in science and are more inspired to see creation as a natural state and destruction as something that must be perpetrated by some entity - such as a God, or a human. Some are simply disillusioned with the hypocrisy of traditional religion and have decided their lives are better without it. And some feel that God, if He exists, really doesn't care if they believe in Him or not and has no desire to punish them for not believing - so they don't bother.

And like me, some had never felt the precence of a greater power, never asked for a sign and received one and decided, why believe in something that obviously doesn't believe in me? If you cannot understand the atheist point of view, all I can say is, good for you. Just don't forget that many atheists cannot understand your point of view either.

Silverleaf
    Pagan Universalist

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I don't consider myself atheist. I am however agnostic, and I don't believe we know the true nature of god. (If he exists) How else can you explain so many different religions. If god really cared what we believed, don't you think he would make sure we got it right?

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Check out this typical Jehovah's Witness at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit