Christmas Memories

by wanderlustguy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

After my mom had left my dad, the elders came by pretty regularly. They wanted to remind her that she needed to return to her husband because she didn't have grounds to leave him. Before all this we had so many family members over all the time, cousins and friends our age, but now all of them were gone. In between the elders visits and the "volunteers" that came by to study with my brother and I, we went with our dad all over the place to whichever trailer he was keeping his preteen girlfriend in, in whichever state. It was usually some abandoned place that maybe had a bed in it for him and her, and my brother and I had the rest of the trailer to ourselves, but no furniture or food.

My brother was very sick, still is. He has asthma to the point where it almost killed him, even recently. He's allergic to damn near everything, a cat can bring him to his knees almost instantly. Perfume is pure poison. He has been on medication since he was born. My dad always said he didn't need it, didn't need to go to the hospital either. A few times my mom finally made it out of the house with him and he wound up being hospitalized for days at a time.

She worked two jobs at a time to make enough to pay for the basics, sometimes it came down to peanut butter and jelly and maybe some tea for a week. My dad gets off on people needing him, so he was very slow to pay any money for child support or to help with anything, even though he was making so much money it was insane. The hall got pretty much whatever, and they kept harassing my mom and supporting him, making her out to be an idiot and just making him more and more brazen. It got so bad that she had to sell all of her jewelry just to buy medicine to keep my brother alive, between that and the doctors and pharmacist who gave her free care and medicines, she managed to make it through.

Everything finally came to a head when he was arrested after a falling out with the girls dad when she was 14. Apparently he decided to stop paying her dad to keep quiet. As soon as the news hit the papers, he was disfellowshipped and the brothers quit coming by. When you live in a town with less than 1,000 people, everyone knows everything. We went to school before we knew what had happened, and all the other kids wouldn't talk to us because of who our dad was. We didn't understand everything at the time, because when you are in it, it's not weird to you. Looking back I feel sorry for us.

That year my mom decided we were going to have Christmas no matter what. She worked her ass off to make sure that we had a Christmas. My dad was up to his old usual, no support for months. We all were staying in one room in the house because it was so cold and we couldn't afford to heat more than one room. My mom had this little tree there, probably the smallest one, and there were some presents under it, nothing big, but it was "our" first one and we were excited. Christmas Eve I remember waking up in the middle of the night and she was putting stuff out under the tree.

It's a shame you can't appreciate some of the greatest things when you are a kid. I wish I had said "thank you" more back then. Even more I wish I had the maturity to understand what all had happened and maybe then I wouldn't have gone back to the very group that had supported the conditions she had to raise us in.

She had 2 pairs of pants to wear to work, but she made sure we had a Christmas. This year maybe I'll get to give a bit of that back to her.

WLG

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

That was a heart touching post: thank you for sharing.

I have some questions:

So how long ago did this first Christmas happen?

What happened to your mom: is she in better circumstances and did she go back to the JWs?

And, your brother...how is he?

Take care,

Yours in this Struggle,

V

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

So how long ago did this first Christmas happen?

What happened to your mom: is she in better circumstances and did she go back to the JWs?

And, your brother...how is he?

24 years ago, but I still smell the butane from the little heater.

She went on to put herself through nursing school working at convenience stores, and became an RN. After that she went on to work in only SICU units for several years and eventually was invited to work in the SICU Cardiac Center at John's Hopkins in Maryland. After that she went on to become Director of Nursing at a Living Facility and lives in her favorite place that she has ever visited.

My brother almost died in the hospital a year ago from then unknown causes, if he lifted his head off a pillow he passed out. It turned out the house my dad had him living in had some type of mold growing in it, which he is (suprise!) allergic to, but that wasn't all. The climate we grew up in has become toxic to him, if he is there for a week, such as when we had to go back for a funeral, it takes him a month to recover. Now he lives in the same town as my mom, about 2 hours from me, and has a thriving business, his health is remarkably better.

Of the three of us, he is the only one in the truth, but I don't have the heart to take that hope from him after all he's been through.

WLG

• dinah
    dinah

Give your Mom a huge hug, WLG. Whatta woman!!! From one room with heat to RN. I can only imagine how hard that was while raising kids.

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Wow....you mom is something!

Thank you for filling in a gap or two...

Take care,

V

• chelsea
    chelsea

I hope your mum has a beautiful Christmas this year WLG, and i hope you do too.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

And I thought I was the only one with messed up parents.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

You appreciate it now, that is what is important. Your mom sounds like a wonderfully strong woman. I have no doubt you and she will have a wonderful Christmas.

Thank you for sharing that memory.

momz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit