What JW fact would you like to know?

by sleepy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Just been thinking about some info I would love to know but will probably never find out.
    What I wish for is a book about the lives of the societies presidents.
    I would like to have first hand acounts of what they were really like and what others thought of them.
    DId they really belive what they taught , were they con men or just slightly mad?
    I would mostly like to know about Russell and Rutherford.
    Trouble is there arent many people alive who would remmember them well.

Prehaps someone can help me out.

• sleepy
    sleepy

Oh yes before I forget I remember hearing of a book years ago that everyone seemed to know of but noone had seen called 30 years a watchtower slave.
    Was this a real book and is it any good.

• Celia
    Celia

Good question....
    I've often thought that it would be very interesting to know about the private lives of Russell, Rutherford (testimonies from their wife, children, other family members...) and also of the present Governing Body members and other big shots in the org.
    Rutherford knew it was all bogus,he was not better than any other sect leader who's in for the money, the power...
    And all GB members know that they're lying continually...

• Celia
    Celia

"30 years a Watch Tower Slave" by William Schnell.
    I like the book. A little outdated, this guy was a JW in the 1920s, 1930s, but I really liked it

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama

A.H. Macmillan wrote "Faith on the march" in 1950's about his life story. It includes conversations and things he saw during Russell and Rutherfords lives. I enjoyed it.

• larc
    larc

There is a man who is researching and writing a book about Rutherford as we speak. I talked to him on the phone and he told me some interesting stuff about Rutherford's early life before he became a Witness. This researcher went back to Rutherford's home town and found a lot of stuff that has not been published.

40 Years a Watchtower Slave was written by Schnell. He writes in an angry tone which puts off some people. He does have some interesting information from his personal experience regarding the reign of Rutherford in the 1930's.

• Moxy
    Moxy

faith on the march is a good read alright.
    online here: http://sites.netscape.net/josephschaffer/fotm/mfaith.htm

mox

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

There's a book on my shelf named Questions for Jehovah's Witnesses Who Love The Truth by a William Cetnar. It's mostly reproductions of Watchtower and Awake! articles which show the WBTS for what it is, but towards the end the author recounts some of the things he saw in Bethel during Knorr's reign - including some of the blatant bribes Knorr received in return for privileges in the Society. Cetnar was kicked out in 1962 for questioning the blood doctrine.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Hi Sleepy,

THE WATCHTOWER AND THE MASONS by Fritz Springmeir has some personal information about Charles Taze Russell. Springmeir is somewhat controversial, however, this is one of his better books. Free Minds once carried it. I don't know if they still do.

I have done some research myself and learned that Russell had invested in a gold mine in Nevada and one of the reasons for his last tour out west in October 1916 was to inspect his investment. He met briefly with his partners in Kelso, California before heading on to Los Angeles for his final sermon. He died a few days later on Halloween 1916. There have been rumors that Russell was murdered. According to this scenario someone poisoned his food with arsenic. The symptoms that he manifested during those last days were similar to arsenic poisoning.

The Chicago Bible Students once published a book titled: THE LAODICEAN MESSINGER, BEING THE MEMOIRS OF PASTOR RUSSELL. Though it is long out of print, your local library may be able to obtain a copy through their interlibrary lending program. Its pro-Russell, but it does contain some personal details of his life. There is a former JW who is writing a book on Maria Russell. However, I don't know when it is scheduled to be published.

I have more information on Rutherford, who started out in politics before getting involved with religion. In 1896 he came within 100 votes of becoming the Democratic candidate for state legistlature representing Cooper County, Missouri. However, he was a Liberal Democrat and he lost the nomination to a more conservative Democrat who went on to win the election in November. Nevertheless, Rutherford worked hard to elect other Democrats and was impressive on the stump. He could talk for hours on complicated issues and still hold the crowds attention. He was very active in local Democratic politics for many years. His last election was 1904. Apparently he was too liberal for his time and so he gave up politics for religion, joining the Watch Tower movement some time in 1906.

The official Watch Tower history books give an earlier date for his conversion but they are in error. While it is true that he bought some of Russell's books in 1894 the books didn't really make an impression on him. Russell warned his flock to stay out of politics, but politics were Rutherford's life blood from 1890-1905. When Russell's representative visited Rutherford's hometown in May 1904 to give a talk on THE DIVINE PLAN OF THE AGES, Rutherford was out of town tending to business in Independence, Kansas.

I think that Rutherford realized that he was finished in Democratic Party but saw that he could succeed in religion using the backroom tactics he learned in local party politics. This enabled him to outmaneuver Ritchie, Johnson, and others in the fight to succeed Russell.

Rutherford and his wife serparated sometime before 1920, though they were not divorced. It is rumored that he took several mistresses. I am still researching this. Perhaps there are others who can reveal more about the first two Watch Tower presidents.

Sincerely,

Athanasius

• gibsite
    gibsite

Your info on Russell is interesting Athanasius. Some years ago I came across a supposedly factual biography in our reference library. I can remember it mentioned that he was a colourful figure always at odds with the courts and the local press. It gave details of his "miracle wheat" scam and also details of his divorce procedings.

Anyone who lives in the U.S. near to his hometown could approach the local newspaper (maybe successors to the original?)and get some very interesting info from their old files.

Gibs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit