New light re: baptism?

by behemot 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TIMBOB
    TIMBOB

Iv heard of this happening before. Not sure that it is "New Light". I have heard of people getting rebaptized because they werent really doing it for the right reasons the first time.

My question is, if you did get baptised before you were ready and consider it not valid, then could you get your baptism annuled/voided legaly?

• logic
    logic

They would probably love to rebaptise everyone that was not baptised under the new rules, dedicating yourselves to the organization.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Sounds pretty bogus to me.

• bite me
    bite me

just on a quick search I found something on another site reguarding this topic:

http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/baptism.htm

this is found about half way down:

In line with these sentiments, in 1985 the Society changed the baptismal vows such that new Jehovah's Witnesses committed themselves not only to God, but to the Watchtower Society. This is evident from the baptismal vows published over the years. The baptismal questions from the Aug. 1, 1966 Watchtower (p. 465) were:

(1) Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

The May 15, 1970 (p. 309) and May 1, 1973 (p. 280) issues printed slightly revised vows. The newest baptismal questions were set forth in the June 1, 1985 (p. 30) Watchtower:

(1) On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

Note how different the second vow is from the earlier versions. The Society has managed to get newer members to, in effect, join a worldly club from which their membership can be terminated at any time by the Society (disfellowshipping) while at the same time convincing these newcomers that they have only dedicated themselves to their Creator. Can any actions be more devious?

• XOCO
    XOCO
    Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

it's very devious indeed to a newbie who just got out of Christendom would not recognize that this question is an ORAL LEGAL CONTRACT key words " association" and "organization"

these two words are most commonly found in legal contracts/membership contracts.

• changeling
    changeling

Let's see...I was baptized at 10 and made my dedication while jumping up and down on my parents bed and watching Neil Armstrong land on the moon... do you think my baptisim "stuck"?

Do you think they would let me off the hook as a : "never trully dedicated person", and let me go my merry way?

changeling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit