Did the WT ever hinder ppl from going to the zoo?

by XOCO 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• XOCO
    XOCO

Awake mag may 8 1973 pg 18

here's an excerpt from it. it starts out ny saying:

HELLO! Let me introduce myself. My name is UrsusHorribilis; I am a grizzly bear and I head a delegation of grizzlies... Blah, Blah, Blah

Disruption

andImprisonment

Your giant dams span our rivers, your behemoth, earth-moving bulldozers are changing the natural terrain, disrupting our dens and hiding places. Your polluting oil spills and pesticides wreck our feeding grounds and cut off our source of livelihood. And the wastes from your cities, mines, mills and smelters poison our streams, making life unbearable. You leave us no chance!

How thoughtless and ruthless you have been! You have taken our pelts to dress your lovely ladies, and our heads you have mounted as trophies in your billiard halls and drawing rooms. How careful were you when you slaughtered millions of defenseless mother seals with their newborn babies on the frozen ice floes in the sea? And what about the great auk, that flightless bird, whom your hunters killed to the last remaining member just for its prized feathers? We grizzlies believe that you could have been more humane.

Furthermore, do you know how it feels to be left to freeze in a trap, with broken bones, while waiting in agonizing terror, for perhaps days, before being dispatched by the blow of your captor? We speechless animals have few advocates to plead our cause and there are no medical facilities for our wounded who must crawl away to die in silent misery. We acknowledge your prerogative to hunt us, but please, be more considerate—or use a camera!

And do you show empathy when you imprison us in your zoos in restricting cages to be gawked at? How do you think we feel? Would you like to change places with us?

whats ur take on this?

XOCO

• watson
    watson

No.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Not directly that I know. But that passage seems like another specious reason to keep people away from entertainment that will take them away from field circus. After all, you cannot be out in field circus while you are watching the bears (which probably do not give a damn that people are watching them).

I could have rephrased that. How do they think the Witlesses feel about being watched all the time while they go from door to door, and everything they do is being censored? Everything they do has a bearing on the success or failure of the mission. On top of that, they have the Watchtower Society breathing down their backs, expecting unprecedented success out of them at all times. They are supposed to give up their jobs and live in poverty and stagnation while they enrich the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. And now, they know that many people have seen that NBC News report about the pedophiles in the organization and they are in for more persecution and even ostracism for it, and still they are to carry on business as usual. I think the bears are better off.

• ninja
    ninja

I am that ugly I had to buy two tickets for the zoo.....one to get in and one to get back out

• Warlock
    Warlock

Going to the zoo!!!!!!!??????

I fing work there!!!!

Warlock

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Don't tell me; submitted by Awake! correspondent? It reads like a fourteen-year-olds essay, but was probably written by some sad spriritually single lady and having it published was the highlight of her life.

We went to the zoo a lot.

• carla
    carla

Zoos are cruel punishment and a prison to animate. You would not want to go gawk at the animals. Watchtower, 11/15/49, p.349; Awake, 5/8/73, p. 18.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

These articles really piss me off. You cant put your personal opinion in "God's mouth piece" publication.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

As far as I remember back, nothing was ever said, either officially or unofficially against going to the zoo. I do have a Jw cousin who thinks that zoo's and circuses are cruel, but that was her personal opinion. I wasnt even aware that article existed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit