Matt 5:17-20. What does it mean to be called least in the kingdom?

by Steve J 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Steve J
    Steve J

Hi folks,

As this seems to be the only place to get my questions answered, (and I've got lots of them) I thought I'd give this one a try.

When speaking about the commandments at Matthew 5:17-20 Jesus said any who break one of the least of these and teaches others to that effect would be called least in the kingdom of the heavens. What did he mean by least?

Does it mean there is still hope for such ones, as being considered least would suggest to me that you would still be remembered.

Also, at 1 Corinthinas 6:9 where the Apostle Paul says fornicators and adulterers, (those who break the commandments) will not inherit the kingdom is he taking a harder line than Jesus and in effect contradicting him?

Thanks

Steve J

• rocky
    rocky

Hello,

Here I paste a piece of a watchtower:

w8610/15p.8AHighStandardforHisFollowers*** (it is the same quote as in the greatest man who ever lived book chapter 35)

Jesus has the highest regard for God’s Law and encourages others to have such also. In fact, he says: "Whoever, therefore, breaks one of these least commandments and teaches mankind to that effect, he will be called ‘least’ in relation to the kingdom of the heavens," meaning that such a person would not get into the Kingdom at all.

Paul does not have a harder line but the same one as Jesus did......

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

As this seems to be the only place to get my questions answered, (and I've got lots of them) I thought I'd give this one a try.

When speaking about the commandments at Matthew 5:17-20 Jesus said any who break one of the least of these and teaches others to that effect would be called least in the kingdom of the heavens. What did he mean by least?

Steve J,

It is not just the verses you refer to but the entire series being discussed that set the context for "least" and answers your question. The verses you used put it this way: 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

The kingdom of heaven is also called the kingdom of God by others and means the same thing. What makes this confusing is the word "least." It was used another way in Mt 11:11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. And in Lu 7:28 For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.

So keep the word "least" in the context in which it is being used. There are some simple rules to getting into the kingdom but not necessarily the same ones at the same time. And the word "lease" is not being derived from the same Greek word in these texts. We do not always get such detail from a translation. So what then is being said?

In Matt 5:19 we are taught that breaking the law and teaching others to break the Law is destructive enough to prevent entering the kingdom. This makes us a goat. It is like a sin against the holy spirit. The WT does this with their doctrines on the humanity and deity of Christ, partaking, blood the GB, disfellowshipping and others. They and their followers are condemning themselves without ever noticing it and their conduct reflects that as well. They should have stuck to the scriptures and not depended on someone else. Entering the kingdom means that we must be found as a sheep, wheat or holy ones (the seed of Eve) at the time of His coming in the clouds. Otherwise we will be found to be a goat, weed, condemned, sinful (the seed of the serpent) and therefore destroyed in the symbolic fire. This is the context of "least" here.

In Matt 11 and Luke we have another "least" to describe this kingdom and who will inherit it. Here we learn that anyone who makes it good or bad is greater than John. How so? Those not saints, goats, weeds or condemned but still decent human beings and still found in the book of life at such a time who enter into this kingdom will be immortal human beings. This is because there is only one kind of resurrection by Christ and a prescribed time for it during this kingdom so everyone that enters into this Kingdom as a saint, a sheep, or wheat will be immortal and greater than John. But not everyone that enters this kingdom will be justified the way the holy ones already are over which the second death has no authority. So not all will be "great" as such Saints but some will be "least" and will need more time and instructions to get to this level and pass the final test awaiting them. They have the opportunity to wash their robes in the blood of the Lamb at this time, which is something the saints have already done. They are identified as the Nations that are also found in this kingdom along with the saints who minister to them. And we will find Christians here that thought they were faithful slaves but when examined were cast out as evil slaves and yet decent enough to be resurrected or changed like the thief that died with our Lord and enter this kingdom and given this same opportunity. Paul is not taking a harder line but simply adds a warning as to what our conduct should be and details further what we should be as human beings to be found as a sheep. And only the Judge will know for sure who is who at this time so every possibility cannot be considered here. Anyway this is my take on it Steve.

Joseph

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I don't see any compelling reason why the phrase "to be the least in the kingdom" would, as and of itself, mean the same as "never entering the kingdom". The parallel sentences are not simply equivalent, there is a rhetorical gradation (and, of course, the whole saying, not its individual components, makes the point).

Compare for instance v. 22:

A if you are angry with a brother or sister,
    A' you will be liable to judgment;
    B and if you insult a brother,
    B' you will be liable to the council;
    C and if you say, 'You fool,'
    C' you will be liable to the gehenna of fire.

There is definitely more to "the gehenna of fire" than to the "council," although calling somebody a "fool" is not apparently more serious than "insulting" him. It would be pointless to break the text down to its components and take them in a casuistic or penal way (as in, three distinct crimes calling for three distinct punishments). The rhetorical effect is global. So in 5:17ff.

Last but not least (!), do not forget that 5:17ff most likely aims at Pauline-like Hellenistic Christianity which advocates the practical dropping of the Law. Even a pun on Paul's name (paulus = "small") is possible, although unprovable, in the background of the saying (elakhistos is, literally, "the smallest").

• Steve J
    Steve J

Hi again,

Thanks for your replies,

Joseph, you say;

In Matt 5:19 we are taught that breaking the law and teaching others to break the law is destructive enough to prevent us entering the kingdom. This makes us a goat. It is like a sin against the holy spirit

Rocky said;

Jesus has the highest regard for God's law and encourages others to have such also. In fact he says; "Whoever, therefore, breaks one of these least commandments and teaches mankind to that effect, he will be called 'least' in relation to the kingdom of the heavens," meaning that such a person would not inherit the kingdom at all."

But where does that leave Paul?

Jehovah gave the Israelites the law, which had many health benefits. Modern science has shown how benificial circumcision is for instance, as it helps prevent the spread of many infections. However, circumcision predates the law, as it was a vital part of the Abramic Covenant, as well as the Mosaic Law yet Paul openly taught there was no need for Gentile worshipers to get circumcised, or keep the law. Does that mean Paul was a goat then and will not inherit the kingdom?

As followers of Jesus the Jew, who was himself circumcised on the 8th day, and upheld the law to the letter, I believe we should all attempt to live as he did and if there are so many benifits to be gained from circumcision, I can't understand why Paul was so opposed to it. Surely Jehovah and Jesus knew best?

Steve J

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    I can't understand why Paul was so opposed to it. Surely Jehovah and Jesus knew best?

YHVH, Jesus Christ, Paul, and Peter, as well as all other true Christians are in agreement.

Circumcision of the heart is what is important in God's eyes, not fleshly circumcision, just as being a spiritual "Jew" is what is important in God's eyes, not being a fleshly Jew.

Perhaps you forgot these Scriptures?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Circumcise, then the foreskin of your heart, and do not be stubborn any longer. For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who is not partial and takes no bribe, who executes justice for the orphan and the widow and who loves the strangers, providing them with food and clothing" -Deut. 10:16-18

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acts 10

Cornelius Calls for Peter

1At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. 2He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. 3One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, "Cornelius!"

4Cornelius stared at him in fear. "What is it, Lord?" he asked.

The angel answered, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. 5Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter. 6He is staying with Simon the tanner, whose house is by the sea."

7When the angel who spoke to him had gone, Cornelius called two of his servants and a devout soldier who was one of his attendants. 8He told them everything that had happened and sent them to Joppa.

Peter's Vision

9About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air. 13Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."

14"Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."

15The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

16This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

17While Peter was wondering about the meaning of the vision, the men sent by Cornelius found out where Simon's house was and stopped at the gate. 18They called out, asking if Simon who was known as Peter was staying there.

19While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit said to him, "Simon, three[a] men are looking for you. 20So get up and go downstairs. Do not hesitate to go with them, for I have sent them."

21Peter went down and said to the men, "I'm the one you're looking for. Why have you come?"

22The men replied, "We have come from Cornelius the centurion. He is a righteous and God-fearing man, who is respected by all the Jewish people. A holy angel told him to have you come to his house so that he could hear what you have to say." 23Then Peter invited the men into the house to be his guests.

Peter at Cornelius' House

The next day Peter started out with them, and some of the brothers from Joppa went along. 24The following day he arrived in Caesarea. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25As Peter entered the house, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet in reverence. 26But Peter made him get up. "Stand up," he said, "I am only a man myself."

27Talking with him, Peter went inside and found a large gathering of people. 28He said to them: "You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with a Gentile or visit him. But God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. 29So when I was sent for, I came without raising any objection. May I ask why you sent for me?"

30Cornelius answered: "Four days ago I was in my house praying at this hour, at three in the afternoon. Suddenly a man in shining clothes stood before me 31and said, 'Cornelius, God has heard your prayer and remembered your gifts to the poor. 32Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He is a guest in the home of Simon the tanner, who lives by the sea.' 33So I sent for you immediately, and it was good of you to come. Now we are all here in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has commanded you to tell us."

34Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right. 36You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all. 37You know what has happened throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached— 38how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

39"We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a tree, 40but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen. 41He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen—by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead. 43All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."

44While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. 46For they heard them speaking in tongues[b] and praising God.

Then Peter said, 47"Can anyone keep these people from being baptized with water? They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have." 48So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," [ a ] you are doing right. 9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," [ b ] also said, "Do not murder." [ c ] If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker. " 12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!" -James 2:8-13

Galatians 3
    Faith or Observance of the Law

1 You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. 2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? 4 Have you suffered so much for nothing—if it really was for nothing? 5 Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?

6 Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." [ a ] 7 Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham. 8 The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you." [ b ] 9 So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

10 All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." [ c ] 11 Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith." [ d ] 12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, "The man who does these things will live by them." [ e ] 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree." [ f ] 14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

The Law and the Promise

15 Brothers, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case. 16 The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say "and to seeds," meaning many people, but "and to your seed," [ g ] meaning one person, who is Christ. 17 What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. 18 For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on a promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.

19 What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator. 20 A mediator, however, does not represent just one party; but God is one.

21 Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. 22 But the Scripture declares that the whole world is a prisoner of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe.

23 Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ [ h ] that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

Sons of God

26 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

"know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified." -Galatians 2:16

BA - True Christians have no need to observe the Christ-fulfilled Mosaic Laws, as Christ has shown us a better way, putting Faith in God, His son, and the redeeming power of His sacrifice, and living by the Law of Love:

"37 Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' [ a ] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' [ b ] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." -Matthew 22:37-40

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    True Christians have no need to observe the Christ-fulfilled Mosaic Laws

Good summary of the kind of teaching that will make you "the least in the Kingdom of heaven," or worse, by the standards of the Matthean Jesus...

You can heap tons of Pauline and simili-Pauline material to cover it, the dissonance will remain.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

However, circumcision predates the law, as it was a vital part of the Abramic Covenant,

Steve,

Yes, but that is not what was meant by its use. It was the most physical and visible aspect of keeping the Law and therefore served to exemplify the idea of keeping all of the Law for salvation in a way they could all see. Thus we still found Christian Jews worshipping in the synagogues long after our Lord's sacrifice observing it as well. This is where Paul found them and the reason why he went to them. And not just Jews mind you, but Christian Jews like James, John and Peter at least for a time, thousands of them. Thus James said to Paul: Acts 21:20 And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law: 21 And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs. Paul was doing that of course so was he wrong? No! The thousands of brothers in Jerusalem were wrong and were still doing that so now Paul had to fight for his life to survive and reason with them again. Before this could happen they did this to him: 23 Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them; 24 Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law. 25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication. That was James and the others speaking around fourteen years after the problem was supposedly already resolved and now Paul was caught in a trap threatened by such thousands which nearly cost him his life. Romans saved him not James and the others. Circumcision abbreviated this concept of keeping the Law and this struggle was detailed in much of Paul's letters. Its use by then had nothing to do with health benefits. The WT misses the point as do many others.

Joseph

• Steve J
    Steve J

At Galatians 5:2-4 Paul also says; "If you become circumcised, Christ will be of no benefit to you."

Why then as recorded at Acts 16: 1-3 did Paul circumcise the Gentile Timothy himself?

I realise that verse 3 tells us it was because of the Jews in Lystra and Iconium, but this still doesn't explain why Paul didn't make a stand on the issue if he believed circumcision was so wrong. It suggests that Paul was practicing double standards here.

Steve J

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

At Galatians 5:2-4 Paul also says; "If you become circumcised, Christ will be of no benefit to you."

Why then as recorded at Acts 16: 1-3 did Paul circumcise the Gentile Timothy himself?

Steve J,

For the same reason that he went into the temple to take the Nazarite vows forced upon him by James in Jerusalem. It was done to overcome the prejudice that they had for someone not circumcised or keeping the Law. It was done to buy the time needed to reason with them. And as you have reasoned correctly it did compromise Paul’s message and this did not work out well for him in Jerusalem. But as you know the Bible records both the good and the bad attempts at advancing the faith and such compromise was not Paul’s best work also visible by his acceptance of their compromising letter some fourteen years earlier. That this was not Paul’s policy or religious view however is revealed at: Ga 2:3 But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised: It was not done to comply with any religious requirement in mind as such Jews required. And as we can see it was not always successful in achieving the desired result. Luke a witness and companion of Paul therefore revealed all the dirt that resulted and caused him no end of problems so that we could avoid the same outcomes and this is why he came to record the apostasy that existed in Jerusalem with James, John, Peter and the thousands in Jerusalem that included other apostles as well along with their decisions. Luke made it clear why our Lord picked Paul instead of one of such others in Jerusalem to be His apostle. This personal selection in effect was a rejection of Matthias who was appointed without His approval by a supposed biblical method. This is how things were them and we can now see how unapproved men can inject themselves into and dominate the faith to its detriment if we remain asleep to these realities.

Joseph

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit