Suggested "SAFE" Reading for Current Jehovah's Witnesses by Stan Milosevic

by Magick 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Magick
    Magick

I don't know about you, but I grew up as a Jehovah's Witness during a time when there seemed to be NO access to additional reading. My family, devote Jehovah's Witnesses, discouraged reading anything BUT the Society's publications. Except for the thousands of paperback romance novels my mother has read daily for over 50 years.

I ran accross this website by Stan Milosevic, who has compiled a "theocratic library" of Jehovah's Witness friendly books that are "positive and upbuilding and pertain to our history, beliefs, and way of life." He states whether they were written by JWs or not.

Also, he apparently published a "value guide" to collecting older Watchtower publications. I do not know if it is still available, here is the link:

http://www.lulu.com/content/126821

I thought some on JWD might be interested in this list. Also, I found it of interest that a current JW who is "one of the preimere collectors of Society produced items" was allowed to reproduce Charles T. Russell's very first book Three Worlds - Or Plan of Redemption. (was this book reproduced EXACTLY as the original as it states?)

Have any of you read any of these books? If so, do you have comments on them?

• Awakened07
    Awakened07
    Kingdom Ministry Question Box, September 2007: Throughout the earth, Jehovah's people are receiving ample spiritual instruction and encouragement ..... through the publications of Jehovah's organization. [...] Thus, "the faithful and discreet slave" does not endorse any literature, meetings, or Web sites that are not produced or organized under its oversight.
  • Trygon
    Trygon

I take it JW's aren't into Harry Potter...

• eclipse
    eclipse

Everything would be "safe'' reading if they trusted that their faith

wouldn't fizzle to a small fart when they read literature that was not in agreement with their beliefs.

• carla
    carla

Title- Disposable People. Yep, seems to fit right in with jw theology to me. Just how they treat their own loved ones.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I remember Stan. I frequently link to his "Theocratic Vacation" website. http://members.shaw.ca/theotrip/ He shows off the opulence of their facilities quite nicely.

Didn't Stan get in to trouble with the compilers of the "Golden Age" CD, by duplicating copies and selling them on e-bay? Rather disrespectful to try and profit from the work of others. http://www.freeminds.org/sales/wt&g.htm

• erynw
    erynw

So this leaves the back of the cereal box and the push/pull sign on the doors they are washing?

• MikeA
    MikeA

erywn, thanks for making my day! THAT was funny and, I am afraid there is more than a nugget of truth to what you just said :)

Although, cereal boxes often have "heroes" pix on them, so that may not be so ok....... after all, that is idolatry, right? LOL

• erynw
    erynw

As long as it's not Count Chocula, or Franken Berry.

• TD
    TD

I wonder how many of these books he's read?

Jay Hess has not been a Witness for a long time. He is what the JW's call "Apostate."

Greg Stafford's status a a Witness is questionable

Victor Blackwell was charged with apostasy just for writing O'er The Ramparts They Watched

Peters gives a good summary of Gobitis and Barnett but does acknowledge that the JW's aren't willing to accord individual members the same rights they've fought for collectively as an organization.

Denton questions the classic Darwinian evolutionary model, but he certainly does not advocate the strict creationism of the Witnesses

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit