Red Lion Cong. burns to the ground; nothing left!

by WingCommander 27 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

This was on our local news tonight: http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_7556263

Blaze burns Windsor Twp. church Daily Record/Sunday News Article Last Updated: 11/25/2007 04:33:59 PM EST

4:33 PM Nov 25, 2007 β€” A fire destroyed a Jehovah's Witnesses church near Red Lion Sunday morning.

Dave Stump, chief of Leo Independent Fire Company in Red Lion, said no one was in the building at the time, and that the structure is not usable.

β€œIt's probably a complete loss,” he said.

The cause of the fire and the extent of the damage were unknown at 1:00 p.m. Sunday.

Church elder Ray Strong said a church member reported the fire just after 8:30 a.m. She arrived about an hour before the morning's service, he said, and noticed that the building's white front doors had turned black. Moments later, she saw smoke and flames come from the roof, he said.

Stump said the fire was most visible around the roof of the carport area at the front of the building.

I say, good-bye! This building was only 6 years old, and quite a nice model I'm told. I was actually planning on getting around to this one. Do you know what I think is funny? NBC just aired it's little news peice on Thursday, and already this Sunday a Kingdom Hall burns to the ground. Wonder if this is some retaliation? And no, I had nothing to do with this - I just think it's a funny coincidence. But, one less brainwashing cult center to have to deal with!

- Wing Commander

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

What state is this in? or is this in England?

• horrible life
    horrible life

This is going to sound bad, and, no, I'm not going to burn down my local KH, BUT, it would be kinda "Nice" if it was a hate crime, and all of the news channels had to report on KH's burning down, in retaliation to child molesters behind their doors. I wish the people who did this, would write a letter explaining why they did this. If it is arson. I told you it was gonna sound bad. Please, do not try this in your home town.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Arson is wrong, but Horrible Life, if it was Arson I wish they would tell their reason too. So no, I'm not offended by your reply.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I guess this is in PA. I hope this wasn't a hate crime. Hate crimes don't work, only stir up persecution complex and further determination. It's better if it just falls apart by its own people's negligence.

• KW13
    KW13

i bet the Society are using the fires to kit out brand new halls on insurance money.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Gayle has a good point as it would also solicit sympathy from the local church crowd as well.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

KW13-

I actually had the same thought myself. About 5 years ago, my old congregation was stressing because the k-hall needed repairs and was too small. They planned to sell it and build a new one, but it wasn't getting any offers. Lo and behold, it caught fire one early morning when no one was there. It was declared a total loss, and the insurance paid for a bigger, nicer hall on the same spot.

The cause of the fire turned out to be faulty wiring. Which struck me as odd, because the presiding overseer is a licensed electrician. And one of the other elders is a building contractor. While I don't want to accuse anyone of something so serious as arson, the whole thing just seemed very iffy to me.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

In show-business the adage goes, "There is no such thing as bad publicity."

They have had some bad publicity lately. And the nature of that is not good for the cult. I refer to the pedo crimes issue on NBC. But this will do nothing to damage the organization. It would even be worse if it was a hate crime - as that will garner public sympathy.

I hope all the kh's just slowly fade off, sell off. These sorts of events- unlike scandals that might just give them a black eye - just keep the Jw's in the news. No doubt in a day or two one of the local elders will be quoted as stating that "Jehovah will see to it that we have a place to worship".

Under Rutherford the jw's 'incited riot' intentionally to garner support. Would they burn down halls to do that? Oops - thinking out loud again.

Jeff

• nelly136
    nelly136

The accidental fire is believed to have been caused by the overheating of a ceiling canister light, said Pennsylvania State Police Fire Marshal Patrick McKenna. He said insulation was packed directly around the light without any room for air circulation.

Dave Stump, chief of Leo Independent Fire Engine Company in Red Lion, said no one was in the building at the time. However, he said, the structure was beyond salvageable.

it was thrown together in 3 days does no one check its done properly? does insurance cover shoddy work?

why were the lights left on if no one was there?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit