What other religions etc. do you have?

by abcde 22 Replies latest jw friends

• abcde
    abcde

If Jehovahs Witnesses have problems,then is there anything better you have too offer?

I would be happy too know of a religion,website or something else that helps you in your life.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

I don't need anymore crutches, I can atand on my own two feet.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Abode,

That's an interesting question--and a bit loaded (like when did you stop beating your wife) IMO. And I recognize it from the Watchtower mag.

One does not need to have all the answers to know when something is wrong. As the quote goes "I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question (or questions I can't ask!)"

It's irrelevant to say that there is nothing I offer just because I disagree with WT theology.

I tend to be, and always have (even as a JW for 28 years), an atheist.

For me, it's very strengthening to rely on my abilities and develop them. But don't hold it out as an 'answer' for anyone else. But religionists often, JWs always, hold out their ideas as an answer for everyone else.

To me, your question is comparable to saying "well, since you deny that 'Sleeping Beauty' is true, what can you offer in return?"

Thanks for the opportunity to respond.

All the best,
    Pat

• patio34
    patio34

Hi again Abode,

On 2nd reading of your post, I realized that you may not have been asking a 'loaded' question. I apologize in that case.

But I still don't have any recommendations on churches, etc. What I read are science books by prominent evolutionists and history books, and novels!

Pat

• joelbear
    joelbear

Let me see,

How bout:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you or words to that affect.

or

Love your neighbor as yourself.

No confusion regarding rewards, different rewards for different people, mountains of rules, laws, principles for living, judicial committees to decide if people are obeying the laws, prophecies, fulfillments, meetings to discuss how to do this, no need of a printing bureaucracy or an organization, just an attitude that attracts others to the message and trying to obey these guidelines as best as you can do and seeing the achievement of them in small ways on a daily basis as reward enough in itself.

• gumby
    gumby

Hi abode. Good question
    Jehovahs witnesses have to offer many things that are good and true. Love God, his son, his word, try to be a good person.
    Where they fail is as all cults do is they take away from their followers, the very things they claim to believe in...eternal life.
    They take it away in the sense that they believe salvation exist only by being a Jehovah's witness and believing ALL things that come from them. They believe that good works will depend on your salvation.
    What do I personally have to offer?
    I believe as the bible states,"Come all you who are thirsty and take lifes water free". I believe that the water here is of coarse Jesus christ.
    Jesus told the lady at the well he could give her water and she would never get thirsty. That meant the believing that he was the messiah,and that salvation would come thru believing in him and what he would do.
    I realize a person should not believe in something just because it is what others believe and have passed it on. I feel a person should have EVIDENCE that what the bible say's is true to whatever degree he/she needs to believe.Evidence such as creation/life.archeology,etc.
    A person can have the things I mentioned without RELIGION.
    It is mearly a group that has formed who meet together and share...to a large degree....similar beliefs.
    I do not disagree with meeting in a church group as long as the message is based on what I have come to know as bible truth. I do not mean by this the church would have to see all things as I do....YOU WILL NEVER FIND A CHURCH THAT DOES! Meeting together and encouraging each other, helping fellow believers in their trials,building one another up, is important and the bible definately encourages that.
    Some choose to meet in small groups in houses, some find a nice freindly congregation, others speak about it to freinds and strangers and don't meet in any group.
    I feel a person should do one of these however and do the one that builds his/her faith the best.
    For those who lack evidence that the bible is God's word and that he truley exists, I recommend reading "EVIDENCE THAT DEMANDS A VERDICT' by Josh Mcdowell. Lot's of good info.
    Thanks for the good topic and letting me share.

• larc
    larc

abcde,

I think you are asking the age old Witness question, if I leave, where would I go? Many of us concluded that you don't have to go anywhere. You don't have to rely on any organization. If you are a sincere person, you can have a direct relationship with God, if you choose. You can also explore what others do within in the walls of their churchs, which often times offer more in the way of spirituality than the Witnesses. You can also choose to leave religious issues alone for awhile and figure out who you are. In other words, you are free to explore and come to your own conclusions, without fear or guilt.

• Dan B
    Dan B

Hi abcde,

The concept that "there must be one true religion (organization)" is a creation of the WT society. If you look at the scriptures you will see that God dealt with individuals and families, not organizations. To say that Noah and his family was an organization is ridiculous. How about Lot? Were he and his wife an organization? Abraham? John the Baptist? In fact, everytime people wanted to organize into a group, trouble soon followed. Look at Israel and their demands for a king. And the Christians after the death of the apostles soon organized into distinct groups, and look at the mess that caused.

I personally think that the "people for his name" will be from all nations, tribes and religions. I believe that there are true Christians in the JWs, but also in the Catholic church, Protestant, etc. These people will be Christians despite these religions.

Dan

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama
    The concept that "there must be one true religion (organization)" is a creation of the WT society

No, it is the creation of Jesus Christ.

• larc
    larc

Yo Yo,

Dan already proved you are wrong. Now, offer proof of your assertion, ye of few words.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit