Official Watchtower response to NBC...

by drew sagan 23 Replies latest jw friends

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I'm sure it has been posted here, but I didn't see it so i'll put it up:

jw-media.org

On the front page is a response from the Watchtower to NBC. It reads:

Response to NBC
    For the sake of the victims in these cases, we are pleased that a settlement has been reached. Our hearts go out to all those who suffer as a result of child abuse. Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide are united in their abhorrence of this sin and crime.—Romans 12:9.

We do not condone or protect child molesters. Our elders expel unrepentant sinners who commit this crime. (1 Corinthians 5:13) In the United States, over 80,000 elders currently serve in over 12,300 congregations. (Acts 20:28) During the last 100 years, only eleven elders have been sued for child abuse in thirteen lawsuits filed in the United States. In seven of these lawsuits against the elders, accusations against the Watchtower Society itself were dismissed by the courts. Of course, one victim is one victim too many. However, the incidence of this crime among Jehovah’s Witnesses is rare.

Congregation elders comply with child abuse reporting laws. (Mark 12:17; Romans 13:1) We do not silence victims. Our members have an absolute right to report this horrible crime to the authorities. The October 2007 issue of our monthly journal Awake! features the cover series, “Keep Your Children Safe!” These articles clearly show our concern for protecting children from sexual abuse.
  • blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

What crap!!

Like everthing else WT puts in print a little research puts the lie to what they say.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Just noticed something

During the last 100 years, only eleven elders have been sued for child abuse in thirteen lawsuits filed in the United States.

The history of the Elder arrangement (as we know it today) does not stretch back 100 years. In fact, most of the Watchtowers organizational structure as well as congregations do not resemble anything like it was 100 years ago.

It really seems like this thing was written quite hastily.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I notice Almighty Jehovah wasn't mentioned once.

• metaspy
    metaspy

Um, they say only 13 cases...
    I count more than that.
    13 documented in Barbara Andersons CD, 16 in August for undisclosed amount, 9 talked about on NBC.
    Am I counting the same ones twice or 3 times?

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

I am not going to even bother dissecting every sentence.

As was stated before, they are very weakly trying to equate their situation DIRECTLY with the Catholic Church.

"Hey, look! Our elders/pastors don't get caught doing that stuff as much as priests, bishops cardinals, and Popes. 11 < 20,000" or whatever the figure is.

Hello!!!

The point is about EVERY person that was caught. Whether they were repentant or not (notice how they added that in there?!) is not the point. Most of the time, nothing was done. Sometimes, the accuser was punished explicitly or otherwise.

bttt for Bethel

• VM44
    VM44

However, the incidence of this crime among Jehovah’s Witnesses is rare.

If that is so, what about all those files Barbara Anderson saw at Bethel???

The Watchtower is still covering up the facts!

--VM44

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions
    The October 2007 issue of our monthly journal Awake! features the cover series, “Keep Your Children Safe!” These articles clearly show our concern for protecting children from sexual abuse.

I know my response is slightly off topic but they are similar in that what the Org writes in their magazines and what many do is total opposite. This is my last response to a thread I started last week.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/20/146817/2665395/post.ashx#2665395

They know the magnitude of child and wife abuse within the org but cover it up with these articles; that you will find safety in the loving arms of the organization and be protected from the evil outside world.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Incidence of crime and winning lawsuits are two totally different things, yet the WTS treats them both the same: A rare win means guilt. A frequent loss means no incident ever took place. It is very difficult to win these types of court cases (sex crimes) due to the funneling out of the ones the DA doesn't want to bother with. These people are clearly not educated because their analysis of this crime statistic would receive a big, fat, red 'F' from all of my professors. They would all say that this is worthless trash.

• minimus
    minimus

What WT. says now is not what they instructed before. And of course they say zilch about how THEY determine whether this horrible crime is actually committed. Typical WT. bullsh*t.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit