Black Friday and JW's

by kwr 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kwr
    kwr

Is a JW allowed to shop on Black Friday as long as it isn't a Christmas Gift?

• Mystery
    Mystery

I am sure my sister was at the door before they even opened this morning.

• BFD
    BFD

I'm sure it's not a problem as long as the savings go into the contribution box. $$$

BFD

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Also, worldly people are permitted to buy Christmas gifts for Jehovah's Witnesses on Black Friday.

But of course, Christmas gifts from Jehovah's Witnesses should not be expected as they would be in clear violation of Bible principles.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Hi,

Excuse my ignorance but why is it called Black Friday ; Maybe it's the opposite of Good Friday or something to do with White Christmas?

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Black Friday is a reference to accounting. Typically the day after Thanksgiving marks the start of the Christmas shopping season and is the busiest shopping day of the year. On old-timey adding machines, negative numbers are shown as red while positive numbers are shown as black. Because of the high-volume, a business is almost sure to obtain a profit, often a significant percentage of the entire year. Since the numbers for that day showed up as black and not red (because they were positive and therefore profit), it is referred to as "black friday."

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Yeah. Today was Black Friday for me, but in a different way.

Some asshole hit my car while it was parked. The damage is not small; this was a collision of at least 5-10 mph.

• XOCO
    XOCO

well i'm a JW and i work on black friday, but i was supposed to be their for the co's visit lol.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

My family always shopped on Black Friday and took advantage of all the Christmas Sales. This was true of most witnesses in my area. There were no hang-ups about asking someone if they caught the "Christmas Sale".

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Hi B Deserter,

Thanks for the info, I kept hearing that expression on Fox News and it drove me mad. I can now rest in peace.

I try to learn something new everyday.

Thanks,

Edmond.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit