Effects on Field Service of the NBC Report

by WTWizard 11 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Most people have seen the posts about the expose of pedophiles on Wednesday night on the NBC News. Most apostates have been aware of that problem for years, and now it looks like it's about to go mainstream.

What happens now when the Witlesses go out in field circus now? More likely, they are going to get a lot more people not interested. Now, they are going to use that NBC report against them. No one is going to want to join an organization that is marred by this crap, especially when they go to great lengths to hide it. They are going to realize that, if the Tower is willing to go to such lengths to hide this, there could be any number of serious problems that could be even worse that they are also doing all they can to hide.

Worse, unlike the Catholic church, the Tower is not attempting to do anything about the problem. When it was them, they paid the price. The Catholic church paid for it with a tarnished reputation. However, it was mainly the priests that suffered the tarnished reputation. The rank and file members were not suspected of being at high risk. Since it is difficult to become a clergy member in the Catholic church, the average Catholic was never associated with being a pedophile. And they eventually came clean with the issue, attempting to settle things in the open.

The Witlesses, on the other hand, are more secretive about the problem. They need to protect the reputation of the organization at all costs. Now, they are going to suffer a tarnished reputation on two issues: the pedophile issue, and their attempts to weasel out of it. Not only that, but every Witless is able to move up without much aside of kissing up to the hounders and hounder-hounders. Unlike the Catholic church, it is hard to tell which Witlesses are among the "clergy" just by looking at them. Therefore, all of them, especially the men, are associated with being pedophiles. Ultimately, this is going to result in ostracism of the Witlesses beyond being those pests that blow off holidays and knock on doors at all hours of the day.

The effects I am foreseeing are many, and not pretty. The Witlesses themselves will still be as active as ever, being programmed not to take such reports seriously. But, when they get into the territory, the people there are not so programmed. They are going to get a lot more rebuttals, hard times, and even persecution ranging from pepper spray, dogs sicced on them, getting cabbages (and rocks) thrown at them, getting hosed with cold water, and in some territories even getting shot. More likely is that no one at all is going to be interested in joining an organization that has so much to hide.

In society, the Witlesses are now going to be ostracized more. The association with pedophiles, not being able to tell the average Witless from the hounders that are responsible, and the all-out attempts on the Tower's part to hide the problem expose the average members to being branded as possible pedophiles. I can foresee the day when children are going to be trained to run away from the Witlesses on sight, and adults are going to do all they can to protect their children from the Witlesses. The men are going to be harder hit. This can spill into their whole lives, even when they are recognized in stores and at work.

I am sure glad I'm not going with the Witlesses any more. I would find it far less embarrassing to be caught buying Christmas decorations or saying "Merry Christmas" right in front of the Witlesses than being seen with a Puketower or Asleep! magazine or a Witless style service bag and dressed up like a Witless.

I was saving my old service bag just in case I need it for starting a home business. But, now I would be so embarrassed to be seen using it that I might just have to throw it away. If I need another portfolio, I will just go out and get one that the Tower disapproves of. And I am going to keep abreast to see what styles the Tower frowns on heavily or bans. That will be my preferred style. Possibly one that has prominent advertisement or something Babylonish--crosses, anyone?

• DJK
    DJK

You may see more of their literature in laundrymats.

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

JWs can spin anything... and just because the pedophile issue has not indicted average joe catholics, do you think the church policy for confessional revelations of child molestation were to report dutifully to the authorities? if you do you are basically totally ignorant of catholic dogma and practice. I am sure the scandals of priests have drawn people's attention like a magnet and made them over look this simple truth, the catholic's do not reveal what is said in confession any more than JWs

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I wish this could be the beginning of the demise of the WT. I thought that back in 2002(?) when the Dateline report came out. I can't tell that it had that much impact on the average witness. I'm sure it helped pull out a few that were already on the fringes, and maybe this will too. Definitely, growth is stagnant and all we can do is keep picking away. I just wish there was a way to get my daughter out.

• freyd
    freyd

I can see how this must send shivers on high as it's the whole organization that's now implicated, not just the higher ups.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I haven't had the opportunity to talk with a street "witness" for about 16 years. Back then there was an old lady walking the parking lot at my shop, and ocassionally she would aproach, but I shunned her endlessly. (funny I didn't even realize I was actually doing that). I haven't had a single "witness" come a knocking at home either. Now with all the ammo I have acumulated from the net and here, I just can't wait for one to aproach me. I'm waiting- - -waiting- - -still waiting. Maybe they have given up our neck of the woods. Too many miscelaneous faiths here.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I agree with Bonnie_Clyde, that likely there will be minimal impact from this.

In 2002, Dateline did a full segment (20-30 minutes) regarding this issue, and it did catch attention for a while back then. For a few it was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, and it helped them leave the JW's.

This week it was a 3-minute segment on the Nightly News program that captures a smaller audience than Dateline does. And the Nightly News audience skews older, because most 35-and-younger people get their news from other sources including the Internet. This was the holiday season, and I don't think a lot of people gave it extra attention outside the ex-JW community. It did garner enough attention to get a lame response on the www.jw-media.org website.

But it's not like all America is abuzz about this brief segment on the nightly news that aired during the busiest travel day of the season.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

This is what I think is sad

The Society will not give the people that go door-to-door a heads up on the Story being aired.

No ammunition to ward off the attacks of householders, leaving them defenseless.

At my job, if I see trouble is brewing and it has the potential to get to my superiors I give them a heads up, so they won't get blindsided.

These people are supposed to be trained ministers preaching life saving work that will SAVE the world from evil.

And they are gonna get kicked in the guts because the WT sends them out defenseless.

purps

purps

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

How ironic. Last Saturday my mother mentioned that she wanted to give someone at the door a December Awake? mag that would be beneficial to her because her son had been abused by a Catholic. I so wish I could have told her to watch NBC but with everything else going on in her life I felt it wasn't the time. She would only be upset with me for bringing it up. I so wish I knew who the lady was she was going to give the article to.

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

The effects I am foreseeing are many, and not pretty. The Witlesses themselves will still be as active as ever, being programmed not to take such reports seriously. But, when they get into the territory, the people there are not so programmed. They are going to get a lot more rebuttals, hard times, and even persecution ranging from pepper spray, dogs sicced on them, getting cabbages (and rocks) thrown at them, getting hosed with cold water, and in some territories even getting shot. More likely is that no one at all is going to be interested in joining an organization that has so much to hide.

In society, the Witlesses are now going to be ostracized more. The association with pedophiles, not being able to tell the average Witless from the hounders that are responsible, and the all-out attempts on the Tower's part to hide the problem expose the average members to being branded as possible pedophiles. I can foresee the day when children are going to be trained to run away from the Witlesses on sight, and adults are going to do all they can to protect their children from the Witlesses. The men are going to be harder hit. This can spill into their whole lives, even when they are recognized in stores and at work.

This won't be happening...at least not on a large scale. If it were to then I would pity a society where the people would judge every single member by the actions of a few.

When you start down that road you set a dangerous precedent. If you begin to assume that every male JW is a molester then I suppose the next step would be to assume that every Muslim is a terrorist; that every German is a Nazi and that every single Jew is engaged in a conspiracy for world domination.

Sadly though it has to be said that some people are stupid enough to actually react as outlined in the quote above showing only their ignorance and lack of respect and understanding for our freedom and democratic institutions. Being cautious and protecting people from possible threats is one thing but preaching fear and intolerance starts us down a dark path (Iraq).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit