Our grandfather died a week ago- guess why we didn't know.

by professor 26 Replies latest jw friends

• professor
    professor

My sister and I who are disfellowshipped have a JW elder as a father. Guess why Mom and Dad didn't tell us that our grandfather died a week ago? Thanks Watchtower for denying us our grandfather's funeral. I just found out a few minutes ago from an uncle. Grandpa wasn't even JW there's no reason we shouldn't have been there. Nice job Watchtower Society.

• *summer*
    *summer*

(((professor)))

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Aw damn them. I'm so sorry for your loss on a few different levels.

Hugs to you.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Damn. I am really sorry. Sorry for your grandfather as well.

• Scully
    Scully

I'm so sorry, professor. That was a cruel thing for your parents to do to you and your sister. I kind of anticipate having to deal with the same kind of cruelty at some point, and I am not looking forward to dealing with that kind of pain.

Just out of curiosity: Did your uncle provide information as to the reason he was told why you and your sister did not attend the funeral? I would think that if your parents played the they-must-not-care-about-their-grandfather card, and your uncle now knows that you were never informed of the death, there will be consequences for your parents from an extended family perspective. Worldlyâ„¢ people generally do not tolerate that kind of petty behaviour and dishonesty.

Keep in mind, that your parents can't stop you from honouring your grandfather's memory in whatever way you choose, now that you know.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

So sorry for your loss.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be tempted to buy a wreath and cross, put it on the grave site, take a picture and send it to the parents.

W

• south african beef
    south african beef

Sorry to hear about your loss Professor.

Exactly the same thing happened to me about two months ago. I found out 5th hand that my own Grandmother had died. To try and avoid any embarrassment with my Elder father and pioneer mother, I decided to send some money to my father for flowers, rather than try and go to the funeral.

My cheque (check -USA) was returned to me with a short note saying that the funeral had taken place a couple of weeks ago!

I plucked up courage to write to my parents and ask why their own flesh and blood - me, had not been told in advance about my own Grandmothers funeral.

I got a sort of reasonable letter back in which they apologised and said they should have handled it better, but apparently the main reason I was not told was that it was a 'Witness' funeral.

AND????

Anybody can go to a funeral, especially relatives.

SAB

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Yes, I guessed Professor before I opened this thread. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I was at my mothers funeral and when I asked if my Granny was coming down from the North Island I was told by my non-Witness uncle that she had died several months ago!! We weren't even disfellowshipped then!!

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I'm sure they are forcing themselves to get used to the idea they will not be seeing you in paradise. A way of putting any feelings out of sight. It is a sad situation when, as you say, their belief seems to have no written recommendation against your being there. And if it did on whose authority?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

That's inexcusable.

Sorry, professor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit