12/8/01 Awake! help for Arthritics

by RationalWitness 9 Replies latest jw friends

• RationalWitness
    RationalWitness

On page 10 of the December 8, 2001 Awake!, the article "Hope for Arthritis Sufferers" feigns to offer encouragement to those afflicted with chronic arthritis. Note how the article describes some of the sad consequences of this condition:

Such limitations can cause frustration and negative felings about oneself. Gaku, aged 27, is one of Jehovah's Witnesses and says: "Not being able to share fully in the evangelizing work or fulfill congregation assignments makes me feel that as a person I have no value whatsoever." Francesca, who has battled with arthritis since the age of two, speaks of "being sucked deeper and deeper into a whirlpool of despair." Such despair can have adverse spiritual effects. Joyce, a Witness from South Africa, admits that she began isolating herself from Christian meetings. "I just could not face seeing anybody," she explains.

Significantly, if Gaku is wrong to equate his self-worth with his ability "to share fully in the evangelizing work or fulfill congregation assignments", this misplaced self-judgment is nowhere corrected in the article.

But, happily, arthritic Jehovah's Witnesses whose value as human beings is largely negated by their inability to perform as fully as their faithful brethren need not fear lack of all support:

In congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses, overseers take the lead in rendering such support. Setsuko says: "I can't describe how great the effect is on a person fighting illness when the elders listen and give comfort." However, as an arthritis sufferer named Daniel reminds us, "our spiritual brothers and sisters can only help if we let them." It is therefore important that sufferers stay in contact with fellow Christians, doing their very best to attend congregation meetings. (Hebrews 10:24, 25) There they can receive the spiritual encouragement needed to endure.
    Ah, what comfort for the afflicted ones! How reminiscent of Jesus' active concern for the sick and disabled. A virtual paraphrase of Jesus' words: "Come to the Kingdom Hall, all you whose self-worth is determined by your 'theocratic works', and the elders will encourage you to continue doing your very best ..."

Rational

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thanks for bringing this out, RW.

The expression of Gaku rings so true. It's hard to "measure up" to the Pharisaical conditions and standards, even as an able-bodied person.

I myself am an arthritis (spondylitis) sufferer, with a walking impairment which came about at about the time I was exiting the organization. I would have had to drag my body door to door to gain their "spiritual encouragement", or spent time (most likely on my own) doing telephone-style witnessing (oh joy!!). I don't think I would have felt "adequate" had I continued to try to keep up with the fully able-bodied ones in the congregation.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Seeker
    Seeker

What amazing emotional abuse! First the implication of the person losing their self-worth if they cannot do the works set out for them, and then the awful concept that if you are not getting the help from the elders you need, it may be your fault! After all, the elders can only help "if you let them." Once again, it's probably your fault.

Considering how many JWs find that elders have no real help to offer them when depressed, this article will just cause self-recrimination. 'It must be my fault, somehow.'

Emotional abuse. The shepherd is beating the sheep.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Out of their own words they condemn themselves! I used to wonder why more people didn't get upset by some of the stupid reasoning and simplistic thinking expressed in the Watchtower and Awake.

But now I know, its simple, NOT MANY OUTSIDE THE ORGANIZATION EVEN READ THEM! And a sizeable number of JW's don't either!

Outaservice (but still countin my time!)

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Rational,

Thanks for posting this. It makes me puke but you do a great service by highlighting the dumb stuff still being printed. I can't wait for the on-line version to come out, NOT!

Gopher,

I hope you are doing OK at the moment. We should get together again. Are there any plans for an "apostofest" this fall?

Outaservice

Your comment about the sizeable number of JWs who don't read the mags is so true. I was a poor reader of mags when I was at my best. I guess I'd flip through the mags quickly, read about 25% of the Watchtower, skip the study articles knowing they'd need the 10 minutes of underlining a few weeks later and I'd read about 50% of the Awake. Actually, 50% isn't bad. I bet I don't read much more than that content of Newsweek each week. However, I enjoy Newsweek.

I used to cringe frequently listening to my FS partner try to place magazines on a Saturday morning. I'm sure the householder knew the person hadn't read them. Not the best way to sell.

THirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• patio34
    patio34

Rational Witness,

Thanks for the excellent critique of the article. As Seeker said, the blame is on the sufferer. The elders can't help unless you let them--how? by going to the meetings! How circular! You aren't well enough to get to the *#&&! meetings.

Thirdson,

So true, so true. I had some friends of mine comment when I was a JW that "nobody reads every article in the magazines!" But I did...then.

Pat

• messenger
    messenger

The sad truth is the society is actually hoping most will not read the magazine drivel. That way they keep them feeling guilty for not keeping up with spiritual things. In addition, when you read the magazines and start think about what they are saying, you soon find you are no longer a Witness.

• moman
    moman

What wouldyou expect? This iz the same "God inspired" think tank that illuminated the world with, pyramidology,Phrenology, bans on vaccinations, organ tranplants etc., etc.
    I wonder if the WT iz evil, or just plane foolish & stupid? Either way they have been the dirrect cause of much suffering, and in the case of the blood ban, MURDER!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

"I myself am an arthritis (spondylitis) sufferer, with a walking impairment which came about at about the time I was exiting the organization. I would have had to drag my body door to door to gain their "spiritual encouragement", or spent time (most likely on my own) doing telephone-style witnessing (oh joy!!). I don't think I would have felt "adequate" had I continued to try to keep up with the fully able-bodied ones in the congregation."

Gopher

Hi Gopher, I have arthritis as well (not spondylitic) but extremely painful much of the time. I also suffer from Colitis which can be triggered at any given moment for any reason at all. So I know the frustrations that go along with being unable to "keep up" with the JW schedule and demands.

Mine really flared up in the spring of '99, to the point of (again) having to use crutches. After several weeks of being all but ignored, the "shepherding to encourage" visit was made, which left me MORE discouraged than ever. First-small talk-then go for the jugular---one reads the scripture in Hebrews about the gathering together (gag) as if this was a choice I had made. It made me angry and I cut them off right after this was read and offered to read MY (then) favorite scripture at Psalm 145:16, about his opening his hand and satisfying the desire of every living thing....MUCH more "upbuilding" to ME personally than pushing "meeting attendance" down my throat. The lack of TACT just made me furious!

The ONLY calls I got for the next three months were to see if I had any TIME to report.....never asking if I needed anything, how I was doing etc. It really stunk, after almost 30 years of loyal (kept my nose clean) membership. Not productive=weak

I was "gone" eight months later, after more of this type of "love" shown. I wonder sometimes if the Elders ever "got" the connection. Naaahhh........

Shredded families and ruined lives;
    The WBTS has MUCH to answer for......

Hugs,

Sunspot

• Gopher
    Gopher

Sunspot,

The moment you lose your "usefulness", you get devalued as a human, thrown to the side. So sad, so unchristian.

Please e-mail me. I'd like to ask you a couple of things offline. I'm at [email protected].

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit