Are there any Bethelites or ex-Bethelites here?

by Hiddenwindow 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hiddenwindow
    Hiddenwindow

If so, here is a question for you: What absurd rules do they have at bethel that do not apply to the rest of the Witnesses?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I was a Bethelite in Brooklyn.

No shorts allowed in public areas.

No chains or necklaces for men (not that I cared).

No R-rated movies. (The mention of R-rated movies on the Bethel application has at times been pointed to as proof that JW's should not watch them.)

No alcoholic beverages may be visible in your room/apt./residence. They must be stored, out of view, in a cupboard or cabinet.

At one time, when the Bethel Elder arrangement was still in effect, only black and hispanic Bethel Elders were permitted to have moustaches.

They pray before and after they eat at "family" meals.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

They pray before and after they eat at "family" meals.

You mean they make long prayers thinking they'll be heard for their use of many words? That sounds so familiar.... Hmmm, where have I heard something like that before?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    You mean they make long prayers thinking they'll be heard for their use of many words?

The length of the meal-time prayers has been joked about probably since Bethel has been around.

Nothing worse than some guy trying to give a ten minute discourse when you need to eat quickly before another long prayer is said and off you run, literally, to your work assignment.

I still eat too fast and walk too fast thanks to my time there.

Thank you, Jehovah!

• Priest73
    Priest73

nvr... you post too fast too =-)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    nvr... you post too fast too =-)

Yeah, I got issues.

I've sent twelve therapists to therapy.

j/k

• Gopher
    Gopher

Barbara Anderson, the fearless exposer of Watchtower pedophilia, posts here. She had formerly worked at WT headquarters. That's how she knows the dirt.

See this thread about the major news story on NBC that broke tonight, she started this post: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/8/147085/1.ashx

• slmdf
    slmdf

Some other rules are:

• No t-shirts with logo's of any kind
    • If you have someone of the opposite sex in your room and you are not married, you must leave the door propped completely open
    • Room mates are not to give eachother back/neck rubs (this leads to homosexuality, of course)

I'm sure more will come back to me as I think about it.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
  • Room mates are not to give eachother back/neck rubs (this leads to homosexuality, of course)
  • Rough-housing or wrasslin' in your underwear is also prohibited.

Really happened.

Brother Couch told everyone all about it.

LOL!

Almost forgot...

When I was there in the early 90s, they made Greenwich Village and Hard Rock Cafe off-limits as well.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    I've sent twelve therapists to therapy.

LOL!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit