Book of Matthew

by bite me 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bite me
    bite me

Wow, I am really enjoying all this feed back. This question really made me think. My thought was that it was given to us to show that he was the father of all of human race.

Are we ever told (in the bible) the reason for this though?

• ssrriotsquad
    ssrriotsquad

The true reason why Matthew wrote down Jesus' lineage is that he was a tax collector and that they (tax collector's) know everything about your history.

Not only that, Jesus had to pay death taxes for his ancestors that they had not paid themselves, along with interest accumulated from that time.

And since Jesus (The Borg) was able to draw out money from fish's mouths (Matt 17:27), Matthew thought it would be advantageous that he tagged along with Jesus to collect the owed tax money. Also Jesus used fishermen (The Borg's Travelling Representatives) to collect the fish (Matt 4:19), he was able to collect more money than just by himself. And since Jesus and his company of fishermen (WTS) only had to pay head tax (Matt 17:25), the money that were coming out of the fish's mouths (members pockets) was tax free/exempt (Matt 17:26).

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Bite Me,

It is all about the authority that can be imputed to Jesus at birth. Matthew traced the seed back to Abraham and his people. Luke traced the lineage another way back to Adam and the human race. This was better as it gave this Son authority over more people than Matthew but still fell short as to the reason that Jesus could offer himself for the human race. Even as the stepfather Joseph’s acceptance of Mary’s Son bestowed his approval and lineage upon Him. Therefore this Jesus could take on authority such as Abraham. David or any that the others mentioned. John resolved this problem by tracing the lineage back to the Word that created the human race in the beginning. You should be able to see by the questions posed in this thread that this would some day become an issue and need to be resolved. And this is why John also called the Word God since in keeping with the meaning of this term the Word did have real authority over the entire human race including Adam.

Joseph

• JCanon
    JCanon

Just a general WTS note on the different chronologies is that one established the LEGAL lineage through Joseph who became the legal adoptive father of Jesus, but in addition Jesus' natural maternal lineage was also in the line of King David.

One established the legal line and the other the natural line.

Siaxares

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

Jesus was the brother of Kal el, son of Jor El, nephew of Zor el and cousin of Kara El.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit