Slammin heavy metal (aka screwin up the FJ) with the kids

by wanderlustguy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

My girls came in Sunday, we hit the trails on the Sandia mountains right away. I no more than got into 4 low and slammed into a boulder that was over the crest of the first hill. Lesson number 1...if you can't see completely over it...get out and look. It only busted up the skidplating, which can be removed and reformed one day when I have nothing better to do. Other than that, we had a blast! Much more to come this week, we gotta get this thing really scratched so I can do the new paint job!

alt

alt

alt

alt

alt

• Rooster
    Rooster

Wow looks like you guys had a great time. And the view..

• Rooster
    Rooster

Where are all of the big majestic trees?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

We'd go out 4x with our daughter when she was 6 months or so in a 79 Ford Truck. Of course we'd be safer than usual, but we'd blast the radio and hit the hills. She'd fall fast asleep. Our friend rolled his Pathfinder our last time before we moved to TN. Good times.

You're making great memories with the kids and the view is killer!

momz

• betteroffdead
    betteroffdead

it's no jeep but it'll do j/k. That scenery is beautiful looks like a nice place to wheel.

• marmot
    marmot

I heard that a number of FJ owners were experiencing cracks in front frame after taking them offroad, hope you don't run into that.

What color do you plan on repainting it?

• betteroffdead
    betteroffdead

I assume that its stock also? Any lift etc? With a good lift I've heard those things are pretty mean off-road, even with the IFS.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

No lift yet, not sure if I want to b/c I like the way it handles now...but we'll see. I'll be repainting the grille to match the top, then doing airbrushed realflame with the same base tone as the roof, only in a pearl ghost. Probably before that the a pillars are going black, and the roof is going to be extended down to the fenders on the rear so it looks like a removable cap until they make one for real. It's insane how fast you can stack up some cash in modifications, especially the ones that have TRD on them. I've already done the shifter, exhaust, intake, and added a touchscreen navigation system with competition audio components. You know that they say about idle hands and all, plus the favors exchanged for free parts doesn't exactly help. I have 2 rolls of dynamat sitting in storage to be installed this winter...that'll be a project and a half.

I'll probably only get into painting flame on the hood, fenders, and doors...the first time. The idea is to use it as a demo and start doing some custom paint work, which is something I enjoy much more than the "generic" jobs I've been doing for over two years now.

I've been watching the forums on the FJ, and most of the ones I have seen with cracking aren't in the frame, but the firewall/inner fender where the crush points are from the factory. The common denominator seems to be with the ones which appear to have been jumped too much or too hard. It's insane the amount of air I've seen under the tires in some of the pictures on the net. I wouldn't treat a dirt bike like some guys treat these trucks.

Back to processing pictures...

WLG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit