Trauma center refuses to treat JWs?

by sacrebleu 13 Replies latest jw friends

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

I read this in an article written about JWs.

Is it true that a major trauma center in Florida refuses to treat JWs?

• carla
    carla

have a link?

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

Yes, I'll try to type it in. I can't copy and paste for some reason.

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/19830/jehovah-s-witnesses-33

Try that one. Anyone live in Florida who can confirm or deny this?

Hope it works.

sacrebleu

• BrentR
    BrentR

This article also confirms it. I am not sure how they can legally refuse treatment of a trauma patient being that they are a trauma center. When I worked as an EMT we had to treat everyone and could not refuse treatment unless our lives were in danger from doing so.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20071108065550AALdUcy

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    I am not sure how they can legally refuse treatment of a trauma patient being that they are a trauma center.

Yeah, really! How can they do that?

They are either really crazy to do it, or they have some really smart suits working for them...

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

I read the whole article sited and could not find anything about the hospital in Florida but I am sleepy. Maybe I can find it later.

As for refusing to treat someone, basically it works like this. Any patient has the right to refuse any treatment, but the doctor under those circumstances can also step away and refuse to treat this person.

After all, in most major trauma cases, people are going to be in dire need of blood transfusions.

If they are going to refuse this life saving treatment, then why treat them. Still, it is kind of odd that they just flat refuse. If it is true, there would be stories of people being turned away or of the Florida JWs just knowing not to go there OR maybe the ambulance drivers' just routinely ask what religion you are and make their decision based on where to take you from that.

I can remember years ago that when you went to an ER, that was one of the first questions. I haven't heard it in a while though. I have had health problems most of my life and I have seen my share of ER rooms so I speak from first hand experience.

I just wonder if ANYONE out there can confirm this. A doctor, a nurse, a patient who has been turned away. Any lurking JWs from Florida out there have an answer?

sacrebleu

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

I read the second article through a second time and found the statement about Florida.

It basically looks like the same article I found quoted on a different web site.

sacrebleu

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

As much as I hate the Jw policies on blood, I hope this is not a trend. Jw's, as individuals should be accorded every possible opportunity to be treated in an emergency as anyone else. If they die due to refusal of blood - well, that's what can happen, but why refuse all other services? Makes no sense and looks like a hay-day for the Supreme Court someday if it is true.

Jeff

• Gill
    Gill

However, you can understand why doctors and nurses in a trauma situation do not want to deal with one or several HLC members, who are qualified as janitors, window cleaners etc telling them how they are 'allowed' to treat a patient who is bleeding to death.

Maybe, having to deal with the HLC idiots is asking a bit too much from doctors in an emergency, life or death situation and they have decided to opt out of that particular problem!

Surely there are plenty of other hospitals in that region, aren't there?

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I would assume it has something to do with insurance, risk assessment and litigation. Just a hunch. I wouldn't assume it's a personal agenda on the part of staff but what do I know?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit