Kmart Card Table Time..Same as Door to Door?

by Andee 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Andee
    Andee

Question for the panel, please?

At my local Kmart there is always a JW table set up. I don’t get close enough to actually see what literature is set on the table but close enough to view the “Free Bible Study” sign prominently displayed in the midst of books, etc.

Generally, this card table is “manned” by two or three young women. These women are casually dressed (tank tops and jeans). Very different from the attire that I have encountered with witnesses when they have come to my door or that I know personally. I suppose I noticed the style of dress because of the numerous posts here about the dresses and pantyhose thing. Yesterday, I did observe, however, two older gentlemen with white shirts and ties.

Seeing them sitting there got me questioning whether or not this is considered equal “service” with going door to door? I have never seen anyone stop by the table. The looks on the faces of the individuals sitting behind the table I would not interpret as welcoming. So, I also question this method as an effective recruiting tool.

Anyone have experience doing their “time” this way?

I am sometimes tempted to walk up and say, “How about that WT/UN scandal”?!

Andee

• individuals wife
    individuals wife
    I am sometimes tempted to walk up and say, “How about that WT/UN scandal”?!

Go on, I dare you!

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

Andee,

>"At my local Kmart there is always a JW table set up. I don't get close enough to actually see what literature is set on the table but close enough to view the "Free Bible Study" sign prominently displayed in the midst of books, etc.<"

They may not be dubs if they are in jeans. Other religions will offer bible studies also. Check out the literature and if they are dubs, have some fun.

HCM

• outnfree
    outnfree

I'm with Ho, Andee.

At a local supermarket recently there were some type of Fundy Christians passing out tracts which offered free Bible studies. I took one out of curiosity.

I really doubt they're JWs. Rules for modest dress still apply. If a sister wears pants in service, they darn well better be covered by her floor length skirt and knee-high boots!

outnfree

Par dessus toutes choses, soyez bons. La bonte est ce qui ressemble le plus a Dieu et ce qui desarme le plus les hommes -- Lacordaire

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I've got to admit, this doesn't sound like Witnesses to me.

But if they are, I guarantee they are counting time - probably from
    the moment they leave home to the moment they return, with a little
    extra padding to boot.

• FormerOne
    FormerOne

I have seen the JWs do the same thing here inside the local mall. They were dressed just as they usually dress for FS though. I can't imagine JWs letting their representatives man the table in jeans and tank tops.

• Andee
    Andee

Well, now you all got me thinking. I never have gotten close enough to actually see the literature on the table. Just the big "Free Bible study" sign in the middle of it all.

I know they are down there right now as I type this. I have also seen them in front of Walmart in a neighboring city. However, if memory serves me, these ladies were "properly" attired. They were, indeed, witnesses because I saw the books.

Well, my mission, if I choose to accept it, is to find out if these people are bonafide witnesses and maybe have a bit of fun.

Thanks for your responses.

Andee

• ofcmad
    ofcmad

Obviously they started reading the scriptures about preaching in the market places. But, I wonder, was this self-sponsored work? Or has the WBTS put out an article about setting up at the local Wal-marts?

ofcmad

"Noah was a drunk and look what he accomplished." The Metatron/Dogma
  • Thirdson
    Thirdson

I often look up the JW literature desk at the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport when passing through or meeting someone. (I always ask for the very latest magazines and refuse anything less than the current month...I don't think they should get away with dumping old magazines.)

There is never anyone on the passenger's side at the desk when I've been there. On one occasion I caught the two middle-aged ladies underlining their Watchtowers. I thought "how conveeeeenient," count time in FS and do your Watchtower rather than waste time at home with it.

I did have some fun last January. I posted the exchange bewteen me and the two ladies on H2O. If anyone is interested I'll post it here.

THirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Just a thought. If this example is from K-Mart does anyone know if Wal-Mart has cheaper salvation. (Buy 24 pack of Dr. Pepper get free 3-month course for salvation.) Can you get family sized salvation packages at Sam's Club? I bet the Mormon's could offer a deal there. Join the LDS and have all your relatives back to Adam baptized.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit