Don't Like the Biblical god? Consider believing in these instead...

by serotonin_wraith 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

So here's the problem. You would like there to be a god, but you hope it's not the Biblical one, as that one seems too mean. Well have you considered searching for one more to your liking? For example, here are a few of the beer and wine gods available for worship-

http://beeradvocate.com/articles/304

Ninkasi is the Sumerian goddess of brewing and beer and head brewer to the gods themselves. Her name means "the lady who fills the mouth" and her birth was formed of sparkling-fresh water. She who bakes with lofty shovel the sprouted barley, she who mixes the bappir-malt with sweet aromatics, she who pours the fragrant beer in the lahtan-vessel that is like the Tigris and Euphrates joined! Yes, she.

http://www.alabev.com/history.htmFrom the Gilgamesh Epic, written in the 3rd millennium B.C., we learn that not only bread but also beer was very important. This epic is recognized as one of the first great works of world literature. Ancient oral sagas from the beginning of human history were recorded in writing for the first time. The Gilgamesh Epic describes the evolution from primitive man to "cultured man".

"Enkidu, a shaggy, unkempt, almost bestial primitive man, who ate grass and could milk wild animals, wanted to test his strength against Gilgamesh, the demigod-like sovereign. Taking no chances, Gilgamesh sent a (prostitute) to Enkidu to learn of his strengths and weaknesses. Enkidu enjoyed a week with her, during which she taught him of civilization. Enkidu knew not what bread was nor how one ate it. He had also not learned to drink beer. The (prostitute) opened her mouth and spoke to Enkidu: 'Eat the bread now, O Enkidu, as it belongs to life. Drink also beer, as it is the custom of the land.' Enkidu drank seven cups of beer and his heart soared. In this condition he washed himself and became a human being. "

In Rome, wine became ambrosia from the god Bacchus.

Early civilizations found the mood-altering properties of beer supernatural, and intoxication was considered divine. Beer, it was thought, must contain a spirit or god, since drinking the liquid so possessed the spirit of the drinker. The ancient Germans regarded beer not only a sacrifice to the gods but they, as in Egypt, also brewed beer for their own enjoyment. For example, in the Finnish poetic saga Kalewala, 400 verses are devoted to beer but only 200 were needed for the creation of the earth. According to the Edda, the great Nordic epic, wine was reserved for the gods, beer belonged to mortals and mead to inhabitants of the realm of the dead.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/s/silenus.html

Originally plural (Sileni), but later mentioned as one Silenus, the teacher and faithful companion of the wine-god Dionysus. A notorious consumer of wine, he is usually totally drunk and is supported by satyrs or carried by a donkey. When the Phrygian king Midas took the drunk Silenus in his house, Dionysus handsomely reward Midas for his hospitality. He has much wisdom and if captured by mortals he can reveal important secrets.

-------------------------------

Now I know these gods sound too good to be true, but don't be afraid to leave behind belief in Yahweh to follow one of these instead. There is actually an EQUAL chance of one of these being the true god! So what have you got to lose? If your eternal future is at stake based on which god you choose, you may aswell choose one you like in the here and now. Maybe you'll even get lucky and pick the right one!

If none of those grab your attention, have a look around www.godchecker.com for nearly 3,000 others! Why focus on the one you know deep down seems like a nasty piece of work? Don't confine yourself to just one choice. Explore the alternatives!

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

I suspect beer had something to with the origin of Elohim as the word El in hebrew Aleph Lamed is pronounced like a dry heave more than anything else.

• BlakeSeeley
    BlakeSeeley

Hi...new guy here. Been looking around the site for a while and am a bit confused.

I'm all for promoting one's new philosophy and stuff...applause to anyone who can rebuild their lives after being locked away in the Watchtower...but I've read many, many threads on here like this one. There's a lot of anti-religion and anti-God stuff--I'm cool with that. But what do these things have to do with this being a JW discussion forum?

Again, I'm just a newguy (probably totally out of place and people will start throwing rotten veggies at me cuz I forgot to read some fine print or something), but so much tearing down of all religion on this board--shouldn't that be on a board for anti-religion instead of this one? Are we supposed to dump on relgions and stuff we don't like here and promote our new views (I became Catholic...yeah, I know...left the JWs and now this...go ahead, toss the rotten veggies)?

Again I'm cool if this is what this place is all about. I can hang. But I don't think atheists would be too cool with me tearing down or makin' fun of their lack of belief in a deity or me promoting Catholicism as the end-all and make against all other who aren't in my new camp. Was looking for support and to be supportive (still gots lots of friends in the Watchtower). Just not sure why there are so many pick and prods against what others might choose after leaving the JWs when...maybe I'm stupid, but I thought we should be supportive of our fellow ex-JWs and whatever choices they make.

Please don't kill me for asking this...This is my first post. I am just trying to get used to stuff like this. Never hung around other exJWs before.

Signed "Confused in Texas, but Eating Well"

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Welcome Blake.

It may seem odd to talk about things not specifically JW related but it happens a lot here. We have music threads even though this isn't a music forum, ones about politics, animals, the sciences or just what you had for breakfast. It's quite diverse. We make friends here and like to chat about many other things too.

How do you see this topic as attacking the Biblical god? People can believe in that one by all means. I'm just saying there are nearly 3,000 others to choose from too if one wishes. People may not have even heard of these beer and wine ones.

Personally I don't mind if you attack atheism, or beer god belief. I'm comfortable enough with what I don't believe not to be offended. Same with you, I expect. If I said 'Haha, you don't believe in the beer god, or Ra, or Apollo, or all these other gods! Fool!' you'd probably laugh it off, as I would.

You can chat about what you believe too, if you like. Many will agree, and there will be those that don't. Same with starting a thread on your favourite band.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Blake: Even true believers need a break once in a while...

I've always been particular to Bast, Egyptian cat goddess...I could serve a cat god or goddess...oh, wait, I already do! At least, HE thinks he's a god, the way he gets pampered! <VE feeding ham to cat>

• Satanus
    Satanus

Brahman:

“I am the Self that dwells in the heart of every mortal creature;
    I am the beginning, the life span, and the end of all.
    I am the radiant sun among the light-givers:
    I am the mind:
    I am consciousness in the living.
    I am death that snatches all;
    I also am the source of all that shall be born.
    I am time without end:
    I am the sustainer: my face is everywhere.
    I am the beginning, the middle and the end in creation:
    I am the knowledge of things spiritual.
    I am glory, prosperity, beautiful speech, memory, intelligence, steadfastness, and forgiveness.
    I am the divine seed of all lives.
    In this world, nothing animate or inanimate exists without me.
    I am the strength of the strong;
    I am the purity of the good.
    I am the knowledge of the knower.
    There is no limit to my divine manifestations.
    Whatever in this world is powerful, beautiful, or glorious, that you may know to have come forth from a fraction of my power and glory.”

Hindu Bhagavad-Gita

S

• BlakeSeeley
    BlakeSeeley

Thanks for the welcome and the explanation.

I don’t see where I said anything that this thread was attacking the God of the Bible or any one’s belief for that matter. I just said “there’s a lot of anti-religion and anti-God stuff” on this board. As a newbie it didn’t make sense to see that there were so many threads like that in here, but I didn’t say this was one of them.

I just thought: “Hey this thread doesn’t make sense being posted under this subject, so why not ask my question?”

Again, newbie phase takes time to wear off. I can say I am not comfortable with attacking or even making light of someone’s views or religion because that was one of the reasons I left the JWs behind. I am still learning, however, to be an exJW, and I’ve been out for almost 10 years and not really had an exJW contact all this time.

Thanks for explaining to this monkey.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Hi Blake,

It was a misunderstanding on my part thinking you thought this thread attacked Yahweh. I apologise.

If you're not comfortable with religious views being made fun of or attacked, you should be warned that this happens a lot with the Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs.

About learning to be an x-JW. I'd say just learn to be yourself. That's why there's so many different opinions here, we became individuals. Most of us share a past with the JWs, and that's our link, but we're not all one talking head now.

• BlakeSeeley
    BlakeSeeley

Cool, I understand.

One big talking head, huh? Who thinks that? Sounds like something out of The Wizard of Oz…LOL

Like I said in my original post, I’m glad for the variety of things people are able to do once they leave the Witnesses. I gather from what I’ve been reading on your posts from the past (catching up on lots here) that you’re big on theoretical atheism?

And I DID expect negative views regard JW beliefs…I mean, come on, that’s what got me confused in the first place, that there was more than just exJW stuff.

But it’s cool. I respect all that.

Is there a place where there is a little more focus on constructive rebuilding for exJWs? I’d hate to help some of my friends out of the Watchtower, they become atheists, and then they have to defend their beliefs in a support group…but that might be where I am all wrong. I might be expecting support when it’s not really something like that. Can someone help clarify or should I start a new thread and not get this one off its subject any further?

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I don't tend to read every thread, there's too many. I check the titles and if it's about something like 'Who has a pet?' I just pass it by, because that doesn't interest me. I stick to the topics I like. So anyone who doesn't mind debating religious issues can do so, and anyone who would rather talk about supporting issues, or pets, can do that too. We're all at different stages on our journey. New people or people with family still in may need one thing, those who have moved on more may need something else.

There is plenty of support in this forum. If there's something particular you'd like to talk about, start a thread on it or join in one that seems to be on the right track for you. People don't have to defend their beliefs, or lack thereof. It's only if people want to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit