Talked with an old buddy last night...

by bluesbreaker59 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

So last night I went and chatted with an old friend of mine that has been DF'd for about 2.5 years now. He was asking me why I got df'd, and was asking me about my religious thoughts, etc. So I shared with him, about how I felt about an organization that has lied to its members numerous times, and espoused "the word of God" about the 1914 generation, and also the world ending numerous times. He was shocked that I didn't "believe" anymore. I told him my thoughts on organized religion in general. He shared with me that he still believes its "the truth", but because he enjoys doing so many "bad" things, he feels like a hypocrite, therefore, he can't in good conscious serve. I was just shocked. He even still has his bible out in his place. He said he doesn't "expect perfection from a religion, because men aren't perfect". I said, that's true, BUT, that being said, they shouldn't be so manipulative and controlling over their followers just because of how THEY, AS IMPERFECT MEN, "interpret" a 2000 year old book, that has been translated, hundred, maybe even thousands of times.

I then went on to tell him about, "How can you disprove OR prove, that an something 'invisible' happened?" Told him what I found out about Russell, and we talked about the shunning policies, and we both hate that, but we're both finding old friends.

I just can't believe it, this is now 2 of my friends that are out of the religion, that still "believe its the best organized religion out there", but because of their lifestyle, they would feel like a hypocrite returning to the borg.

This is very frustrating to me, I can't believe these guys. One of them, I'll call him "Jed", did all kinds of research for himself, read the bible, by himself, found out about the early days of the borg, etc., and somehow he still believes, but will never return. My other friend, that I spoke with last night, "Jim", has been living life in the fast lane ever since he left the borg, and hasn't researched anything on his own, and still believes, even kept his bible, and reads it. "Jim" is still planning on hitting the memorial again this next year. I just don't understand, how these guys, especially "Jed", who has done the research, can actually still believe it. BTW, both do holidays, birthdays, smoke, drink, have sex, tattoos, etc. Seems so strange to me.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It is a shame that DF'ed people sometimes retain their mind's prison bonds.
    I feel that these ones can be reached most successfully with love and logic.
    "Do you think that you are evil? Do you think Jehovah should destroy you?
    What about others that never knew him? You run across unbelievers that
    never knew about the message the Witnesses are carrying. If you, knowing
    they have the truth, turn away, how can you justify God destroying those that
    never knew the truth?"

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Strange it is, but not uncommon in the JW world. There are several possible reasons for this.

1. they cant accept the fact that the Watchtower is lying and it isnt the true religion, because then all off the issues like hellfire, trinity, and so forth become more real.

2. They have listened to the Watchtower insult and berate other religions for so long that they cant ever accept the idea of a church having any truth.

My grandma is like your friend, she still believes it to be the truth, she still hates the churches, however she no longer attends meetings, she celebrates the holidays, etc etc etc.

She wouldnt live for her religion, but she is willing to die for it (blood transfusions)

Aint that messed up?

• unique1
    unique1

Some people are just nutty. I know several that are the same way. Brainwashing has never been logical.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I was disfellowshipped for nine years and went back!!! I still believed all that time.

Keep trying to talk to your friends that are DF, something may break through to them.

purps

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59
    2. They have listened to the Watchtower insult and berate other religions for so long that they cant ever accept the idea of a church having any truth.

Yeah, I hear you on that one. However, I must say, its hard for me to believe in anything religious, especially the man-made interpretated garbage. I think if you believe in the bible (and that its "God's word") and the things it says then you need to believe it as its written, NOT try and interpret it. But if you can honestly say that you don't think the Bible was changed a few times, when it was translated, and some things were added, and some were taken away, well, I have some Ocean Front Property for you...

I do "like" the message of love of other religions, instead of the hate taught by witnesses, but, I don't like the ultra liberal standards. Because if they believe in the bible, and are living by it, then well, according to that dusty, old book, certain things just are not acceptable, end of story. If however, you don't believe in man made religion, and just try to be the best person you can be one day at a time, well, that's MUCH easier.

• dawg
    dawg

To me, the only thing the JWs can be proven wrong about is when they entwine the GB with God. I don't personally believe even one word of the bible, but if I did this is blasphemy-period, plain and simple. The men in brooklyn are just that, men, and nowhere does it say in the Bible that questioning men is "apostacy" period, it simply isn't there. They clearly aren't "gods mouthpiece, channell" or anything else they've claimed., and clearly God's spirit isn't guiding them... Guiding them to what? A bunchof fu**ups? God wants them to do the stupid things they've done? Thats one damn hard sell!

As for Bible intrepretation, we all know how that goes, any man can see that book in many different ways. I don't arge intrepretations about a book like the Bible anymore than when I argue what Shakespeare meant in Hamlet, or any literature for that matter... it just isn't worth it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit