Dead of Night

by RollerDave 6 Replies latest jw friends

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Dead of night.

absence of light

All is not right

Anxiety not slight.

I don't know, just sometimes in the dead of night it hits me and it sucks.

The years pile up, I don't have so big a pile as some, but they are harsh ones with lots of jaggy bits and cruel edges.

Sux.

You pile up the years, but the thing is, when you collect the whole set, it's game over, and that just sucks.

Maybe it's the season, the light fades, and the cold comes. It creeps into your bones and you feel cold all the way through, like you'll never be warm again.

Then there's times of warmth and laughter, but sometimes even those kind of ring hollow, the music takes on an unwelcome tinny quality and I lack the patience to listen to even one song all the way through.

Old thoughts, old feelings, old conversations, locked on a disc for a device that is no longer made, in file formats for programs I have forgotten the names of.

A wealth of emotion, it meant so much at the time, yet now it collects dust in obsolescence and disuse.

Streams of thought that lead nowhere but I didn't realize at the time, and now they are wasted and gone. Irredeemable.

Maybe it's the impending winter, I do have a problem with those and live in exactly the wrong place for that.

Maybe it's yet another impending birthday, I take some better than others, I don't know why.

Maybe it's the rum, Lord knows I've got enough in me.

Eitherway, it just plain sucks.

Beck works for a few hours yet, I think I'll just go warm up the bed and try to read a book to get out of myself for a bit.

When she comes in, she'll appreciate the warmth.

It's nice to be needed, even if, just between you and me, most days I feel about as useful as tits on a fish.

RD

• prophecor
    prophecor

Doncha' just love mid-night christ-us?

• prophecor
    prophecor

All kidding aside, RD, thats some really great verbal energy you're expressing there. I hung on every word and really find it reflecting several of my own thoughts. I've had neighbors and mentors tell me about the spaces between 40 and 50 years of age. How at the end, if we live that long, at 50, its all &@*% it and its fine. Just stay alive till 55, and the whole world gets better again.

Peace to you Roller Dave

• penny2
    penny2
    You pile up the years, but the thing is, when you collect the whole set, it's game over, and that just sucks.

Hmmmm!!!

Have a happy birthday anyway, RollerDave.

Hope you get warm.

penny (in South Australia, where it's warm - 35 degrees Celsius tomorrow)

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

"The years pile up, I don't have so big a pile as some, but they are harsh ones with lots of jaggy bits and cruel edges."

yeah, you said it well. harsh ones with jaggy bits and cruel edges just about sums up my life. However, there's still a lot of fun to be had, I keep telling myself. Dave, have you ever read "Archie and Mehitabel?" It cheers me up when I'm in this kind of mood. I identify with Mehitabel...

Happy Birthday!

• dawg
    dawg

Nice writing dude....you're a great writer and very creative..

• tinker
    tinker

Black bird singing in the dead of night....take these broken wings and learn to fly

I certainly can relate to yet another birthday. I hit 50 and it felt like my entire life had been a waste. I became 55 this year and my whole life seems ahead of me, open, free, adventures ahead and filled with ideas.

The space between 50 and 55 have been a painful journey but here I am, Free of Religion and over 21. YIPPY! Let the Scotch and Cigars begin.

oh and a little painting and artwork and travel too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit