Bible Error: How Did Judas Die?

by JosephAlward 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Larsguy
    Larsguy

Hi Joseph,
    again, on the topic of Judas. This is what happened.

After Judas felt guilt for what he did, he went back to the temple and tried to return the money and the priests refused to take it because it was blood money to kill Jesus. Judas freaked out, not wanting it and so threw it into the temple and then went out and hanged himself. The way he did that was he tied a rope around a tree near the edge of a high cliff and then then around his neck and jumped over the cliff hopine he'd die. But apparently the jerk-back was so violent when the rope snapped that he was catapulted against the edges of the cliff and som jagged rocks apparently cause his guts to burst out.

Now is that so hard to understand?

Now please realize you are reading things to scripture that is not there, one of which is that Judas was buried in his own field. The Bible does not say that. Nor does it say that he hanged himself in his own field. These are spurious concepts you have that you are having problems with that the Bible doesn't say occurred. The field wasn't even purchased until after his death, so how could he hang himself in that field? Purchasing the field and donating it to the city was the idea of the priests after Judas killed himself.

Can't you read the scriptures? He threw himself over a cliff in the act of hanging himself. Something went wrong and he ended up spilling is guts out against some rocks. What's the big deal?

There is no conflict here, just details you refuse to acknowledge.

All that is here are the details of both accounts.

One account says he threw himself over a cliff and busted his guts out. Another scripture says he hung himself.

The combined understanding is that when he threw himself over the cliff he apparently had a rope around his neck with the intent of hanging himself.

It's not that complex, really.

Anyway, you score ZERO on this one. Please find another "errancy" in the gospels to harp on because this one is another dud.

Why don't you talk about how Jesus claimed he was in the gave for "three nights" which is impossible if he died on a Friday? That seems to me to be a direct contradiction.

Or why don't you talk about how Jesus could be imapled at the third hour, which is 9:00 a.m. (Mark 15:25) and yet just be on trial at the sixth hour (John 19:14)which means he was impaled three hours before his trial? Not to mention it got dark at the sixth hour three hours before his death.

Now that seems to me to be some pretty direct contradictions if Jesus died on the same day he was arrested. Why don't you talk about something like that, instead of these word games with the details of how Judas hanged himself, with the interjection of false details such as Judas actually being buried in his own field or hanging himself in his own field? It was called the "field of blood" because it was purchased with blood money, not because Judas died in that field.

Find errors in scripture if you can, but at least get the details right. That's all I'm asking here.

Anyway, you're a delight, and I love your posts!

Have a nice day.

L.G.

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Larsguy asks, "Why don't you talk about something like that, instead of these word games with the details of how Judas hanged himself, with the interjection of false details such as Judas actually being buried in his own field or hanging himself in his own field? It was called the 'field of blood' because it was purchased with blood money, not because Judas died in that field."

Alward responds: Whether the field belonged to Judas, or not, is irrelevant to my argument, and so is the reason for the name of the field. I've never based my argument on either of these "disputed" facts.

My argument is that one author says that Judas hanged himself without telling us--according to Larsguy--that he expected his readers to wait until they've read through several more books of the Bible to find out that Judas fell and burst open after hanging himself. What possible reason could the first author have for making us wait so long to hear about the bursting open? Furthermore, we *still* don't know how Judas burst open after hanging himself, if that's what happened. It doesn't make sense that God would have his Bible writers lead his readers to believe in the book of Luke that Judas died by hanging, and then lead them to believe in Acts that Judas died from a fall, and *then* force the readers to speculate about how Judas burst open.

Luke tells us in his gospel about the old wineskins which will burst when new wine is poured into it; when Luke later tells us in the book of Acts that Judas "burst" open, he was constructing a parable, a story which wasn't literally true, to explain the reason for the fate suffered by Judas, his suicide. The readers were supposed to see that Judas, with his old ideas, was unable to accommodate the new teachings of Jesus, so he "burst" in a figurative sense. Everyone at that time knew exactly what Luke was saying; no one believed that Judas fell off the tree limb onto rocks and burst open.

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"
    http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• linzion
    linzion

Hi,
    Thank you for your responses.

Detective says:

Lin,
    are you saying that Judah was pushed or thrown rather than fell? Following your thinking, it looks as if you are suggesting that a dead Judah was pushed or thrown or buried in a field that was bought in his name by some unmentioned third party.

Matthew 27:5-7 specifies that Judas brought the silver to the chief priests, threw the money into the temple where the chief priests took it, talked it over, and purchased a field with it for the purpose of burying strangers.
    As for Judas being pushed or thrown:
    In the Strongs Concordance: falling headlong is translated into two words as Joseph said, prenes ginomai, but the meaning could possibly be interpreted differently,

#4248. prenes, pray-nace'; from #4253; leaning (falling_ forward (prone)i.e. head foremost
    #1096. ginomai, ghin'-om-ahee, a prol. and mid. form of a prim. verb; to cause to be (gen-erate), i.e.(reflex)to become(come into being), used with great latitude (lit.fig., intes., etc.):--arise, be assembled, be (-come, -fall,-have self), be brought (to pass), (be) come (to pass), continue, be divided, draw, be ended, fall, be finished, follow, be found, be fulfilled, +God forbid, grow, happen, have, be kept, be made, be married, be ordained,to be, partake, pass, be performed, be published, require, seem, be showed, X soom as it was, sound, be taken, be turned, use, wax, will, would, be wrought.
    falling prone, to cause to be is the literal translation. It is not a far stretch to laid prone. Since he does not specify in Acts whether or not Judas was living when this happened, I offer this as a possible explanation.

Joseph says:

I also must disagree with your suggestion that throwing a body--living, or dead--from a height of perhaps two feet above the ground into a hole perhaps six feet would cause the abdomen to burst open. Perhaps you’ve seen the horrific photographs and film showing the tens of thousands of naked concentration-camp victims who had been thrown down into the pits? None of the bodies showed signs of having suffered a rupture for any reason, let alone from striking the ground.

I would be willing to entertain the idea that the fall did not do the bursting. It may have been that the Son's betrayer was split open by the Father. I would have been hard pressed to stop at that had it been my son. Besides, it isn't the first time that sort of thing happened. See 2 Chronicles 21:15,19
    Or it could have been jagged rocks, or even the state of decompostion of the corpse. It is not pertinent to the reason that it happened, which was to fulfill Scripture, not is it relevant to your question, 'How did Judas die?'

detective says:

Are you uncomfortable with the idea that there may be some difficult passages to explain away or are you comfortable with that fact but are just offering up a few ideas for people to mull over?

The bible is wrought with difficult passages. If it were simple, it would require no faith on our part. I offer no apologies for God's Word. Nor will I ever try to 'explain away' any part of it. The bible's purpose is to teach. Since we are the dumb sheep who, by examples in both Testaments, are too impatient and stubborn to know what is good for us, God has made the learning a task we must strive to meet. I believe that we look for surface contradictions in order to avoid learning the deeper truths, truths which we do not want to face. We are supposed to take it on faith that we need tolearn the examples, no matter how impossible they seem, so as to prepare us in life for whatever God has planned for us.
    An example that comes to mind;
    I just told my 10 year old daughter that she must learn her multiplication tables. She wanted an adequate explanation of when she would need this information that she could not get to a calculator. I explained that she just had to trust to my years of experience that someday she will need to do multiplication in her head.
    I believe God has asked us to take it on faith that no matter what the lesson is, we need to accept the statments as fact, trust to his wisdom, and go on from there.
    Yes, I am offering an opinion. However, I must specify here that I feel some thing are not worth getting to upset about. If you believe one way or the other, it will not affect the outcome of God's plan for us.

Joseph says;

The key to understanding what Luke wanted us to understand is found in the following passage:

“And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins, the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined.” (Luke 5:37)

Old skins cannot expand to accommodate the gases released from still-fermenting new fine, while new ones are still elastic enough to accommodate the release of gas. Luke was expecting his readers would see that Judas was holding on to the old law, the old way of thinking, and was unable to accommodate the new teachings of Jesus; thus, the Judas with the old ideas burst open just as does an old wineskin filled with new wine. Luke clearly never meant for his readers to take his description of Judas literally.

I do not clearly see anything here except a parallel word bursting. I fail to understand why you feel you can chop a section from the bible and paste it over another and call it a key to understanding. If I were to look for parallel words in bible passages that have nothing to do with each other, I could find hundreds.
    I would like to point out that you, who apparently has no faith where the bible is concerned, would be the least likely person to show me what the writers of the bible clearly meant for their readers.

Joseph says:

Apologists who are trapped within the framework of a belief that the Bible is literally true will never accept this simple explanation, however. For them, it’s better to propose any possible explanation, no matter how far fetched, than to agree that a story about one of the principals in the Bible is not really true. They think they are in the daylight, and the rest of us are in darkness.

Since this is a general statement included in a personal response, I must assume that you have lumped me into this category. Personally, I try not to allow my personal prejudices to be thrown into peoples faces while I debate with them. However, I submit that personal opinion is all that it takes to label explanations far fetched. The truth of the bible will be revealed, Joseph, but not, I think, by you.

Lin

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Lin states,"I would like to point out that you, who apparently has no faith where the bible is concerned, would be the least likely person to show me what the writers of the bible clearly meant for their readers."

Lin uses the word faith as if it were a desirable thing to have, and I'm sure that's what Lin intended; however, I see it as a hindrance, rather than a help, in finding the truth.

"Faith" is defined by the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, (c) 2000, Houghton Mifflin Company, as "belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence."

There are so many different beliefs not resting on logical proof or material evidence, and the adherents to each faith swear that theirs is the one true faith, but at most only one of them can be correct. This tells us that the methodology used by the faithful just doesn't work; if it did, a great many of the existing religions would be simultaneously true, which is impossible. Thus, we see we cannot in general trust the conclusions of the ones who believe just because they want to believe. The one more to be trusted in matters of religion--on any matter, really--is the one who has nothing to gain, nothing to lose, and who can interpret the evidence dispassionately and without bias.

Joseph F. Alward

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

In a pair of earlier posts I explained why I thought that the Acts story of Judas bursting open was merely a parable, a story never intended to be taken seriously. I have one thing to add to my argument that Luke wanted his readers to compare the Judas with the old ideas to the old wineskin that burst when new wine was poured inside it.

The only place in the New Testament where the words "burst" are used are in the three parallel verses dealing with wineskins, and the *one* place in the rest of the New Testament where the word is used to describe what happened to Judas. Here are the references:

Matthew 9:17 Neither do men pour new wine into old wineskins. If they do, the skins will burst, the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved."

Mark 2:22 And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the wineskins will be ruined. No, he pours new wine into new wineskins."

Luke 5:37 And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins, the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined.

Acts 1:18 Acts 1 Acts 1:17-19 (With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out.

This is not a coincidence, I believe; Luke is telling us in Acts that just as old wineskins burst when new wine is poured into them, so did the one with old ideas and beliefs (Judas) "burst" when new teachings (from Jesus) tried to enter him. Doesn't this make much more sense than believing that Judas first hanged himself from a tree, and then, without a single gospel writer telling us so, Judas somehow fell off a cliff onto rocks and burst open? Of course it does, so why do apologists resist the obvious? The Bible won't be any less worthy, will it, if it turns out that the Acts story is a parable?

Joseph F. Alward

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Judas didn't die. It was a clever ruse. He went on to live until the ripe old age of 89 in Ethiopia where he became a very popular snake handler. Judas the snake handler he was called and they came from miles away to see. Fantastic.

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Larsguy wrote,

"The way he did that was he tied a rope around a tree near the edge of a high cliff and then then around his neck and jumped over the cliff hopine he'd die. But apparently the jerk-back was so violent when the rope snapped that he was catapulted against the edges of the cliff and som jagged rocks apparently cause his guts to burst out.

"Now is that so hard to understand?

"Now please realize you are reading things to scripture that is not there, "

Alward responds:

Larsguy is accusing me of doing what he's just done. Nowhere does the Bible say that Judas tied a rope around his neck, as he claimed, or that Judas tied the rope around a tree, that a tree was at the edge of a cliff, nothing about a rope snapping, catapulting, or jagged rocks. All of these things are in Larsguy's imagination. He's "reading things into scripture" which are just not there.

Joseph F. Alward

• Moxy
    Moxy

if the bible is a riddle only to be understood by the faithful, why are you even trying to explain scripture to an unbeliever? if you could convince an unbeliever that your explanation made sense, you would prove that the bible can be understood by an unbeliever and is therefore not the word of god. wouldnt it be better just to chuckle politely to yourself about how unbelievers get hung up on perceived logical inconsistencies and be on your merry way?

mox

• Larsguy
    Larsguy

Hi Mox,
    It's not that simple, but what makes you think I'm giving away any sacred secrets to unbelievers. I'm preaching to Christ's anointed ones who have access to this board.

On the other hand, there are things in the Bible that condemn false apostates and part of the message Christian anointed ones give is sentencing and condemnation notice to the wicked.

So posting the information has many purposes though critical advanced truth will be accepted by the true followers and rejected by those who can't understand it.

So I'm really not trying to convert anyone. I'm not really evangelizing in the driver's lane really. Most of my posts here simply expose false teachings and put people on notice that God is about to bring about drastic changes in the world. But advanced understanding is put out for the other anointed ones, not to those who can't relate to it.

Good point though..

Have a nice day.

LG

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Larsguy speaks of being anointed and of communicating with other "anointed" ones. What do JW's think "anointed" means, and how does one determine if one is anointed, or not?

Joseph F. Alward

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit