Letter from (and to) a disillusioned young Witness

by Hiddenwindow 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hiddenwindow
    Hiddenwindow

I am sending this letter to another website, but would like to have you guys comment on it first. All suggestions and comments are welcome.

Letter from (and to) a disillusioned young Witness

Dear friend:

You and I have arrived at the painful conclusion that our parents didn’t know better; that they did (now we know it) what they considered was the best thing; and, in a way, we should not blame them for that. When we opened our eyes to life, we were already here. This is our de facto reality, but that reality is light-years away from that of our progenitors. They thought it was the Truth, but we now know it is not, and that religion and truth may well be two mutually exclusive terms. Now, what do we do with that conviction? Should we keep quiet, go along with the flow in which we found ourselves before becoming reasoning adults? Should we live under the umbrella of what, by all moral standards, we perceive to be a lie? How many times have we waged an unbearable diatribe against Catholics when we see those quasi-irrational inscriptions on their doors stating that their parents belonged to that religion and, therefore, they will die Catholics as their ancestors did? And we attack such reasoning under the perfectly valid grounds that the search for truth (which may not be necessarily The Truth) must transcend tradition; that it is not a matter of what others did, and that each individual is responsible for his own fate.

How can we, in good conscience, continue to be faithful to an organization that has proven to be unfaithful to the ethical or moral standards it imposes on others? How can we keep supporting the draconian practice of rejecting blood transfusion, and hence contemplate how our loved ones, including innocent and uncomplaining children, die for a policy about which the very Governing Body that implements it is not completely sure? Frankly, that would be too much to ask. This is the 21 st century, for Christ’s sake! To use an illustration (yes, we admit the Theocratic School was not a complete waste of time) let’s say that although it is true that we do not despise those who in ancient times ignored the existence of microorganisms and attributed certain illnesses to now laughable causes, it is also the case that today we know better and, therefore, we proceed to take the essential sanitary precautions. Similarly, now that we have realized the Watch Tower and its clandestine Governing Body are, from all logical perspectives, a spiritual dictatorship, and taking into consideration that a deep reform is absolutely impossible, we have no option but to correct the error or lack of good judgment on the part of our parents when they decided to enter the sect.

We clearly understand that the journey (or the escape, we must say) will not be easy. Everything has been prepared to dissuade us from or even punish us for taking our destiny into our own hands. However, it is inevitable to face life with courage and an essential measure of self-respect. The following verses, by the Cuban poet Heberto Padilla, clearly illustrate how we feel in this arduous moment.

Poetics

Tell the truth.
    Tell, at least, your truth.
    And then
    Let anything happen:
    Let them rip your beloved page,
    Let them knock down your door with stones,
    Let the people
    Crowd before your body
    As if you were
    A prodigy or a dead man.

Although, to be honest, not every aspect of our lives as Witnesses is regrettable, because, in general, there is a set of moral principles that may be of certain value, the desperate and emphatic effort to keep us separate from the world has, no doubt, deprived us from the marvelous things that such world does offer: the illuminating influence of the natural sciences; the opportunity to develop personal talents in the arts, sports, the world of ideas or intellectual exploration, a healthful relationship with a variety of decent human beings that until now we have regarded as mere worldly people. Again, the journey will be challenging, but it is about time that we face life as normal individuals, not as the sectarian religious-centric megalomaniac (and ironically fearful) fellows we have been taught to be.

With much sincerity,

H.W.

• Gopher
    Gopher

HW,

I'm one whose parents raised me in the JW's and now shun me. So with deep feeling I say that letter is very well done, and very heartfelt.

You asked for suggestions, I have a couple. Where you said "we have no option but to correct the error of our parents", I might suggest "we must choose a different course from our parents who have entered and still remain in the sect". I say that because we cannot correct our parents, we can only make better choices ourselves.

And one more... where you write "everything has been prepared to dissuade us", I'd suggest pointing more directly at the culprit here by saying, "The Watchtower leadership has done everything in their power to dissuade us...".

Again, good work.

• dawg
    dawg

Who are you writing that to?

• tula
    tula

Does your friend have any qualms about the blood issue? If not, then you really need to find another point. Someone here said awhile back...forget the dogma and state facts that are undisputable (the failed prophecies, the pedophile issues, the financial extravagances, etc). You need to find the subject you know for sure will appeal to her sense of intellect and emotion.

Maybe the blood issue is your thing. But if it's no dispute to her, you will not reach her, and it will only hurt yourself.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Very nice letter, really moving. My father recently spoke to me for the first time in a year. In a similar vein to your letter, I told him that i forgive him for raising me as a JW. He could not believe it, the look of shock in his face, as if he had no idea he had anything to be sorry for. I had to explain that it is terrible to be raised in fear, and knowing that your parents love is conditional; that if you are true to yourself your parents will shun you.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

Some really good points.. but dare I say it very 'wordy' and I love words! Lots of flowery language and long words, depending on your friends level of education, it may put him off.

Obviously you know him much better than us and it will probably hit just the right spot.

Poppy

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

It is a joke! I remember worrying myself to despair thinking that if I cannot provide a good standard of living and opportunities for my children to make their own free choices that I was worse than a man without faith! And that if I could not get them all to come along in this faith I would have to ignore them. I could not do it and the logical reasoning about illogical scenarios used to screw my brain to every wall in my house and being married to someone who followed like a dog on a lead and shunned me for not doing sent me spiritually awol time and again. I tried to be the perfect example of a paradoxical role model and when I looked in the mirror never ever knew if I was going upstairs or down until I fell downstairs and knew my place! What a life fuck but I cant fully blame JW coz I'd had a ride on the mark 1 model driven by mother at home in my teens! My ex wife was the mark 2 model. JWs the mark 3 and my present life mark 4. I keep looking around for some understanding person to come and prefix it with thunderbirds then we can GO GO GO!

• justhuman
    justhuman

Very nice one

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Well done.

Jeff

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I too like the letter. One thing I tried to explain to my Mom who was not raised a witness; when she found out her religion was wrong NOTHING could dissuade her from following the path to finding herself. So how could she expect me to give in for one second when I have found out everything I was taught was wrong? I think that's something that has to be stressed. I am still stuck on getting the JW to think of you in human terms. This is much easier for parents but it seems to work with non relatives too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit