"Who Killed the Electric Car?"

by whyamihere 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

It was after w bush became pres, that american car companies started ramping up on big gas guzzlers. People stupidly went along w it, even though they all knew it was wasteful. It was a sort of defiant republican flip of the finger towards the rest of the world and towards reality. Bush and his lemmings. It seems bush doesn't mind leading the world off of a cliff, and of course, he doesn't mind jumping, himself. Macho, suicidal, apocalyptic idiot. S

• one
    one

hydrogen inventor murdered

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3333992194168790800

do not like to watch videos long videos, please anyone post the gist.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Satanus, the big SUV's were most popular throughout the mid to late 90's, before W was in office. I remember '93 specifically when green Ford Explorers were all the rage, and then the Expedition and Excursion and all the luxury maker's versions quickly followed. I don't see how you're blaming this on Bush.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Consumers did. Electrics were characterized as granny cars because they were safe and quiet. In other words, the gas guzzlers were sexy, electrics were not.

http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aacarselectrica.htm

• Satanus
    Satanus

jgnat

Who did the characterisation?

John Doe

Here is one. In the 2004 election race against kerry, kerry proposed raising the mpg requirement to 40 mpg. Bush etal came out against that. Bush etal used the fear tactic; the new standard would cause job loss. The auto union, however, sided w kerry. In the end, it was concluded that the higher standard would actually create more jobs by making american autos more competitive internationally, thus more sales, and more jobs. http://www.mlui.org/growthmanagement/fullarticle.asp?fileid=16710

As well, bush proposed legislation that would send money towards highway/roads spending, instead of on transit.

Possibly, more documentation coming.

S

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

At this point it really doesnt matter "who" killed the electric car. As crude oil edges the $100 barrel, alternative fuel become more attractive. It should be noted that $100 crude also make new exploration and development of ways to get oil out of old plays and wells more attractive to investors.

Electric cars, solar panels , geo-thermal, 'bio-mass'...all old ideas that only make surges forward when oil gets too expensive. economy-of- scale is everything in new tech solutions. Demand for products levels the market costs and folks buy in. Hydrogen generators and fuel cells are gonna be the next rage....

~Hill

• Satanus
    Satanus

"The Bush administration joined automakers Thursday in urging a federal appeals court to maintain a roadblock on California's pioneering clean-air rules that require increased sales of electric and low-polluting vehicles." Calif tried to increase sales of low-pollution cars and Bush's administration took them to court to get them to stop.. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/a/2003/02/14/MN84524.DTL

S

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I love all of the responses! In fact, I didn't think this thread would go as far as it did.

Anyway, I would like to ask for permission from those that posted, if I could use your responses to this subject in a paper I am writing. Yes, it is for my husband, but he doesn't have the time to go into detail as this point. It's his 5th year in college and he'll be done(finally) next month. However, he started a new job and the Development project he is working on is taking up all of his time and he is struggling. Plus, getting the 1am phone calls to get back to work are pissing him off....lol. Sucker!!!!!

Besides, he is pulling 3.9 GPA.

Anyway, its not the first time I have helped him, I just don't touch the computer science classes...!

Those that don't care please pm me, or state on here you don't care.

Thanks!!!

Brookie - aka I'm not as dumb as I look class

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

.... did ya ever notice that GW2 is from Texas. His sucess in the oil biz was not so good...but he owes favors to everyone whos anyone in the oil and gas exploration business.

~hill

• Satanus
    Satanus

I don't mind, if he uses my stuff.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit