I'm so confused!

by Snoozy 16 Replies latest social family

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I'm so confused..my daughter has two teenage children, they are a girl just turned 16 and a boy 17..

When I was at her house watching TV with them..they made the kids cover their eyes when sex scenes came on. Now she just told me they both seperately went with friends to see the last "Saw" movie...

Since when is sawing someone up OK to watch but not sex?.

Snoozy..a confused Grandma...who isn't aloud to voice HER opinion...

• flipper
    flipper

SNOOZY- Some people love violence and hate sex! I've never understood it, can't be explained ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• chelsea
    chelsea

If i had teenage children i would prefer them to think sex is okay before sawing or being sawn. Why would anyone want to reinforce to their children that sex is wrong but violence is okay???

I would want them to know that sex is wrong IF violence enters into it... not that violence is wrong if sex enters into it...

• steve2
    steve2

You're confused? Well join the club, because I'm confused too!

I'm about to make a controversial statement, but I'd invite you just to think it through anyway:

How come it's okay for television to routinely show men attacking one another, including shooting, punching, stabbing, pushing, strangling, verbally harrassing, etc., but there's a "moral" outrage if television shows even a short scene of 2 men kissing each other?

People's views of what it is okay and not okay to watch on the screen are so subjective when it comes to deciding what is acceptable behaviour. I think it is interesting that we live in a society that shrugs its shoulders when two men physically beat the life out of each other visibly on TV, yet there's a strong moral panic when two men are shown displaying "tenderness" towards each other.

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

How many here feel comfortable setting with their teenage (or younger) children and watching a rather explicit sex scene.

Saying that you would rather have your children watch sex over violence may sound fine, but in reality it's not quite that simple.

Most normal children realize that it is absolutely wrong to commit an act of violence against another person. Watching a violent movie is seen as nothing more than entertainment, no sane person would actually consider such acts. On the other hand, we can almost guarantee that every normal teenager is going to eventually have sex. Allowing them to watch it in our presence could be confused as giving our approval to try it themselves.

I could not comfortably set and watch sex scenes with my children when they were younger. I usually changed the channel, fast-forwarded, etc. I doubt that I would be comfortable with it now that they are in their twenties. I have however set and watched many a horror movie with them without giving it a second thought.

pseudo

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

steve2,

When more homosexual couples start having and raising children at the same volume as heterosexuals, maybe this trend will change.

Just kidding.

Well maybe a little serious though.

pseudo

• horrible life
    horrible life

ditto Pseudo.

I thought I was going to be alone with my opinion. You explained it wonderfully.

I don't mind my daughter, age 16, seeing scary or gore movies. I would like someone to take her to see Saw right now in the theater, because it is rated R. She wants to see it. I just don't want to see it myself. She has known from a very young age, that it is fake blood, but still loves scary movies.

Sex??? I change channels on the Lifetime movies, when they are having sex, and she is watching.

• 5go
    5go

SAW the movie I won't even see that one.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Those Saw movies are brutal. How can anyone think extreme violence is entertainment? Isnt the world full of enough real violence without inventing vile cruelty to watch as a passtime?

I honestly cant understand the desire to find extreme cruelty entertaining. And the response is always the same - 'oh its funny, you can tell its not real'. Yes but you are still enjoying the portrayal of cruelty upon another human being. Whats that about?

I hate cruelty. Maybe I havent de-sensitised? Maybe not being numb to violence is a good thing?

• veradico
    veradico

A professor of mine mentioned the other day that he saw two parents bring their small child to a horror movie he was attending. To his mind (and I tend to agree), this was a mild form of psychological abuse, and it caused him to speculate about whether or not it would be just for our society to require the passing of a test for a license to have a child. I just saw Hostel 2 recently and was sickened. There was something egregious and perverse about some of the scenes in that movie. I like the new show named Dexter on Showtime, and I'm quite fond of vampire stories and movies. For whatever reason, the predatory aspect of human nature is fascinating to me, so perhaps it's hypocritical of me to judge. Still, I think there are limits to what people can watch as entertainment before their souls become as callous to human misery as those of any sociopaths who have ever walked this earth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit