Best places in Canada to visit

by chelsea 17 Replies latest jw friends

• chelsea
    chelsea

Does anyone have any suggestions???

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Canadian Rockies (Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper)

Vancourver area & Victoria island

• Poztate
    Poztate

A good place to start

• zeroday
    zeroday

I was hauling a load of lettuce from Arizona to Halifax NS some years back. After crossing into Canada thru Houlton Maine I was astounded by the beauty of Eastern Canada and as I approached Halifax breathtaking. I will never forget that trip...

• Scully
    Scully

Halifax and the surrounding areas are gorgeous. I'm a big fan of Peggy's Cove. If you decide to visit Halifax, a trip to a little seafood and chips restaurant called John's Lunchis a must. The clams and chips are to die for; we make a point to go there every time we visit.

It really depends on the kinds of sights that you enjoy. If you like cities, Montreal is quite nice, especially the area called Old Montreal or Vieux Montréal. Ottawa, the nation's capital, is also very nice however a bit laid back in terms of night life. Toronto is a busy sprawling metropolis. Not my favorite city, but it is a huge tourist attraction. Niagara Falls is one of the wonders of the world - absolutely beautiful, if you can tolerate the infestation of the tourism industry.

The Rockies are breathtaking. You can take a train trip through the mountains - if you have good weather it's totally worth it. Banff and Jasper National Parks in Alberta are favorite tourist areas. Vancouver and Victoria, BC are lovely cities too.

There's amazing sight-seeing all across the country. I've never been disappointed in my travels across Canada.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

There's a lot to see and do in Toronto.

I liked Ottawa too - there's a lot to see, but the night life is across the river in Hull.

W

edited to add: Niagra Falls is nice, just don't eat in the restaurants near the falls. The prices are very high for small portions of shitty food. Go to the restaurants on Lundy's Lane.

• Angharad
    Angharad

The drive between Banff and Jasper is amazing, with all the site seeing spot along the way

But the best one for me has to be The Hall of the Gods at Maligne Lake a bit further on from Jasper - its absolutely breathtaking. You have to take the boat trip to the far end of the lake to see it.

http://www.thecounselingcenteratriverchase.com/images/SPIRIT_ISLAND_Maligne_Lake_British_Columbia.JPG

• Simon
    Simon

We've been through the Rockies many many times now and you just don't get tired of the magnificent views. There are lots of places to turn off and view whether you want to just wind the window down or get out and go for a hike. The last time we went (a couple of months agao when my brother visited) we were still seeing things we hadn't seen before (the views from the longer hikes that we couldn't do when the kids were smaller).

The boat trip on Lake Maligne is terrific and you get to see Spirit Island, the iconic view of the Rockies - it is really hard to take a bad picture of everything.

Oh, and in case you think the pictures have been altered or touched up ... they haven't, the water really is that color!

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: They are pics from our trips ... not stock photos.

• marmot
    marmot

The rockies are awe-inspiring (though I've never been), British Columbia has beautiful rainforests, Montreal has great culture, food and nightlife, the Maritimes have beautiful scenery and great seafood, there's great camping in Northern Ontario and awesome fishing and aurora borealis (Northern lights) in the Northwest Territories.

I'd just avoid the Prairies, I spent two years out there and only the locals seem to like it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit