My Take On Anonimity.

by Englishman 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

This is just a few thoughts that I have regarding the subject of anonimity. Yes, I am making this post after being in the chat room with several others including Kent and Prisca. It seemed to me that Kent posted Prisca's pic mainly out of sheer mischievousness and was quite taken aback at her very real distress at having her identity exposed. Unfortunately her distress quickly became anger in extremis with the result that Kent adopted a macho "Don't tell me what to do" attitude so that the whole thing degenerated into cyber mayhem. Neither came out of it smelling of roses. So what? I personally don't think any the less of either of them.

But what struck me was that surely it is time that some established posters started to be less secretive about their identities. The trouble with anonimity is that it definitely will, IMHO, start to affect a person when it is carried on for too long. It is, after all a withhold.

Withholds eventually stop our maturation, because we are not being honest as to who we really are. You can't grow much emotionally if you always have to pretend to be something that you are not. I contend that we do ourselves no good if we leave one slavish organisation only to enslave ourselves with secrecy.

I know that many will say that they will be abandoned by their families if the truth comes out. I agree that that is a terrible thing. I also accept that someone, one day, will relate to my own Mother things of mine that I have written on this very site - after all, everyone knows exactly who I am - and that the consequences could be extremely dire to our relationship. But I would rather that than not be free to be me, not to have my freedom of thought and action. Isn't freedom of belief even a part of the American Constitution?

One thing is for sure, I will never reveal anyones identity to anyone else. I do know though, that my freedom to be the real me, is some thing that I would never ever give up again.

Mike Hooper, Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

family is important but I refuse to allow myself to be hijacked by emotional blackmail. In fact, I've never cared less about what Witnesses think of me. Your labels and condemnations are empty without my approval.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I think that anonymity is a must for some. It is not, in my opinion, necessarily deceit or misrepresentation in the case of people who have family and friends still in the organization. Those of us who were in it (and many still ‘technically’so) know full well the result of our posts being brought to the attention of the local elders. We know the results of our relationships with family and friends. There is also the added dimension of many of us active (though meticulously careful) in helping some to take off the green glasses and see the Emerald City for what it is. Any influence we might have on those inside would be gone in a moment if we were df’d.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Angharad
    Angharad

Great Post Enghlishman

Good to see you back Frenchy, missed you!

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Englishman, you make me think. But I am not that far. I have friends (really?) and family in the organisation.

I was in a terrible state when I could not stand the pressure (most of which I created myself) anymore. Now I am inactive for a while, have some distance and see more clearly every day.

But I am not that far - but much farer than a year ago.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Thanks, Ang, missed you too.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

My name is Jason. I live in a suburb of Buffalo, NY. That is my real picture. And I can drink Naeblis under any table.

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

One day pally..one day... hey btw, you goign to watch the big Flutie/JOhnson showdown??

• Simon
    Simon

I'm not overly concerned about any anonimity that I may have left (ha!) but can understand how someone visiting for the first time would be incredibly worried about their identity becoming known given the nature of the JW beliefs and practices of the WTS.

It is a deadly serious business as peoples real lives and relationships with families and friends are possibly at risk and it is not something that should be treated lightly.

If anyone is worried about this then I would suggest they email me or someone that they trust who's email is open perhaps for some advice or reassurance.

Just an idea.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Nice post Eman.

It got me thinking, and I think you are right.

When I first started posting on xJW boards (at Tishie’s), I initially used my Yahoo! Handle, gylesw.

But I was going through a period of rapid change. Coming into contact with xJW’s through the Internet caused a great leap forward in my development as a human since leaving the cult. I was expressing very vocally the realisations I had regarding the existence of god, evolution, creation, the Society itself.

As I have an x-wife raising my two daughters and stepson as JW’s, and all the dozen or so members of my immediate family are JW’s, I was mindful of the problems this might cause if my posts were viewed by anyone I knew. My dad being a fairly well-known Elder in London increased my ‘risk of exposure’. I had maintained fairly good relations with my family after I had walked away and didn’t want to sour them.

Thus I started posting under this handle.

Now recently I had an interchange of emails with my dad. He sent me some altered jpgs to do with Sept 11th. Bush in a turban, an Islamic version of the New York skyline, the Statue of Liberty with a veil, that sort of stuff. I said I didn’t think they were really funny. I said the attacks had very little to do with any common concept of Islam, just as killing abortion clinic workers had very little to do with any common concept of Christianity, but both sets thought they were right, even though they demonstrably weren’t, and that ethnicity had bugger all to do with it.

He came back with the Great Tribulation speech, segued into the Prodigal Son lecture, along with the cherished misconception that I still really believed, and I just didn’t want to go there.

So I said that I didn’t believe for a variety of reasons, but that I didn’t feel comfortable having this discussion, as he was free to express himself about his opinions, but I didn’t feel I was free to express mine.

I said that although I didn’t think they loved me any less for walking away, I didn’t want to put them in a situation where they had a conflict of loyalty between me and the Organisation. Me expressing views contrary to the Society’s, or even disagreeing with them would cause them a conflict or at the least embarrassment as dissent was not allowed by the Organisation.

I am not ashamed of what I am or what I believe, but I am willing to take measures to maintain good relations with my family who are influenced by a high-control group, even if that means saying I won’t discuss it with them because it’s against their principles to listen to dissent. If you had a friend who went mad when you said ‘red’, you’d not say red, would you? You’d be the responsible one, ‘cause they weren’t.

If they want to know, then all they have to be is willing to discuss the details of what I believe without freaking over the fact I don’t agree.

And if they ‘come looking for me’, or stumble across me here, well then they are already dissenting themselves by roaming such a ‘den-of apostates’, and are already showing an interest in the details of dissent rather than fear at the very thought.

Now, I am very attached to this handle. It’s a bad pun (‘a bad one’ in a London accent), mystical bollocks (angel of the abyss), and a cool character from Julian May’s ‘Goldon Torc‘ series. I am also a bit ‘old school’ as I started on the Internet when you still had BBS systems running over Telnet, and everyone had fantastical handles in those days.

But I’m gonna put my real name in my profile, Gyles Julian Hawkins Williams (there can be only one), and if I sign off a post, I’ll use my real name.

I can do this because of where I am now. I don’t think anyone should do it unless they feel it’s right for them, as they may not be there yet, but that’s not a criticism of them, just a matter of time and personal development.

I notice you imply the same Mike, by saying ‘established posters’. Very good point, and thank you again.

My girlfriend was never a Jdub, and she, when we were discussing this, made one additional good point for anonymity. She felt that it was very liberating for her to be sexless and faceless on the Internet, for what she said to be taken on the value of what was said, and that also, if someone wants to be anonymous then they’ve a perfect right to do so, even if they go to the same site for ten years.

I do agree, but for me, I’m Abaddon now ‘cause I like the handle, not ‘cause I want to be anonymous anymore. You know my name.

Keep on rocking in the free world...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit