Anyone watched the film 'Sicko'?

by katiekitten 54 Replies latest jw friends

• 5go
    5go
    Michael Moore decides what he wants his movie to say and then just like the Knocking movie producers, he conveniently ignores anything that contradicts his movie script.

If your are going to level an accusation like that please provide the evidence.

• 5go
    5go
    Veterinary medicine is nearly as complex and the training as intensive yet the prices are far more reasonable because pet owners shop around for services and then pay directly for the care and this keeps prices down. Insurance is the same, car and home owners insurance is more reasonable than health insurance because your employer does not buy it for you and when it pays a claim it pays it to you once you have assymbled a set of reasonable estimates from competing independant venders. If you do the repair work yourself or elect not to repair less than vital damage you are even allowed to keep the money you did not spend.

Don't get me started on private insurance in general. They wouldn't exist if it wasn't because people are force to buy them one way or another. They have scammed people via failure to pay claims thru stupid little clauses forcing goverments to create aggencies designed to stop it.

I say nationalize the whole industry not just healthcare, it needs it bad.

• Liberty
    Liberty

You make a great point Emy! The Berlin Wall was built to keep people from GETTING AWAY from a "free" health care system.

A friend who works in Red China also saw first hand the equality and "free" health care recieved by the farm workers there. Rural clinics which treat the ignorant farmers (who still make up the majority of Chin's surplus population) are routinly prescribed placebo medicines in very ornate gilded bottles because they equate the effectivness of the medicine with the quality of the container while out of country visitors and elite educated professionals recieve modern Western style treatments. These peasants are also encouraged to smoke government cigarettes in order to have them die early and save the state pension money.

Another clue that a government system may not have your best interest at heart is whether you are allowed to opt out of the system. You cannot chose to not pay Social Security even if you agreed to refuse the benifits and many government health schemes are the same, some even outlawing the use of private medical care.

• brinjen
    brinjen
    I agree 100% that health care in the U.S. costs too much. The argument is over why. It is clear to me that government meddling is responsible for over priced medical goods and services. If McDonalds could get away with charging $100.00 for a hamburger they would but they compete in a less regulated field and so cannot get away with it.

First of all, you're argument makes no sense nor does your example. McDonalds would charge $100 for a hamburger? Don't think so! They would lose too much business if that were the case.

Second, our governments have over the last decade or so de-regulated many industries including the oil industry. Has this resulted in cheaper petrol? Quite the opposite actually, we're paying here close to $1.50 per litre. Meanwhile oil companies such as Caltex are recording record profits.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/03/17/1874293.htm

Private companies are in business for one reason, to make a profit.

• brinjen
    brinjen
    Another clue that a government system may not have your best interest at heart is whether you are allowed to opt out of the system. You cannot chose to not pay Social Security even if you agreed to refuse the benifits and many government health schemes are the same, some even outlawing the use of private medical care.

Not true here, you can go private if you want and not contribute to the medicare system through your taxes at all.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

With all the money, our taxes etc., spent on war why can't some of it be used to pay for better health care. This way being denied by the big insurance companies would go by the wayside .Everyone wins . The insurance companies get paid, doctors get paid, and those who need good health care will get it. The government has billions to spend on war and death, why not on health and life?

No politics, we are all on the same page, we all need good health care. Take away the health benefits that the politicians and their families get from our tax dollars and see how fast they sit up and take notice.

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Just watched that pathetic piece of crap last night. How dare the fact that French doctors can live in a million dollar house, own two expensive cars and make only around $200,000 per year...AND offer their top-notch, socialized medicine to everyone!

(ok tongue out of cheek now)

My girlfriend is a senior forensic investigator (fancy name for data analyst) dealing with and busting Providers (doctors) for Medi-care fraud. She doesn't even bother with the ones who are scamming the system for a million bucks or less because there are so many in the multi-million category. A great many of them are coming into this country from other areas because it is so easy to get rich quick. Our system is broke and there are too many crooks (politicians especially) involved to fix it. It needs a whole new revamp.

In 1980 I went to Canada to have a back procedure done (wasn't available in the states). I paid (out of my pocket) $2,500. The Canadian sitting next to me, having the same procedure told me it cost him $15 bucks. I had cancer a few years ago and EVEN with my pathetic Blue Shield Insurance, for which I was shelling out $500 a month for, the bills still pushed me near bankruptcy.

Anyone who says our system is great needs to grow a brain...or they're one of the scammers getting rich at the expense of the middle class.

-BONEZZ

PS. I'm not a huge fan of Michael Moore but we make it very easy for him to lampoon us with his documentaries by sticking our heads in the sand. Don't blame the messenger.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Just watched that pathetic piece of crap last night. How dare the fact that French doctors can live in a million dollar house, own two expensive cars and make only around $200,000 per year...AND offer their top-notch, socialized medicine to everyone!

Get yer facts straight ya damn Neo-Rightwing-O'ReillyRush MM basher! It was a British NHS dr that made the 200k, not a silly Frenchman!

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Oops! Musta been that subsidized French wine I was drinkin while I wuz watchin that Moore freak that got me confused.

-BONEZZ

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

My girlfriend is a senior forensic investigator (fancy name for data analyst) dealing with and busting Providers (doctors) for Medi-care fraud.

That sounds like it would be a fun job!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit