What is the "Good News" Magazine being advertized???

by slmdf 16 Replies latest jw friends

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

RR hit the nail on the head.

When it comes to their similarity in teachings I think it would be best to say that they are similar in the sense that they reject many of the same teachings found in Orthodoxy.

When it comes to the specific "revelations" that make the group unique, they are quite different. Both have a theology that basically revolves around their leaders. For the Witnesses its the "faithful slave" and for the Armstrongites its Armstrong.

The fundamentals on how these groups elevate their leaders are quite different. For the JWs its Chronology and for the Armstrongites it is British Israelism.

• RR
    RR

Good point Drew. The similiarities are their rejection, not that they believe the same things.

Armstrong was a member of the Churh of God, SeventhDay, before he started the Radio Church of God that became the Worldwide Church of God. I remember watching him on TV late at night as a kid.

However, one would wish the GB were like Armstrong. They did a lot of good.

One similiarity though be the chaos after his death, it mirrors whgat happened after the death of C.T. Russell.

RR

• Gregor
    Gregor

I got some "Good News". I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

• steve2
    steve2

They are all fairy tales. Similar story, same ending, same delusions.

Ain't that the truth !

I'd also add that you'd also need a fair dose of narcissism to start up any of the numberless offshoots that have sprung up in the wake of the WWCG split - or to start up any kind of (Christian-based) religion! Christianity and a narcissistic outlook (i.e., only we have the correct interpretation) go together like peas in a pod.

• t33ap80c
    t33ap80c

Hi RR,

You said, "Armstrong taught that Jehovah and Jesus were co-eternal."

Unfortunately I no longer have Armstrong's "The World Tomorrow" magazine but it seems to me that a couple of his articles went something like this:

"Jehovah is not the Father of Jesus"

Somewhere he made the statement: "It is commonly believed the Jehovah is the Father of Jesus Christ. This is not true."

"Who was the LORD of the Old Testament"

As I recall he taught that Jesus was in fact the LORD (i.e. Jehovah) of the Old testament. I wrote several letters dealing with Psalm 110:1 which seems to indicate that Jehovah and Jesus are not the same person. Again, unfortunately I am unable to find my notebook with all his stuff in it.

I remember how he explained that "Elohim" is "a uni-plural noun" meaning that therefore God was a family of more than one person.

I've been receiving the magazine "Triumph" which is put out by the church of Philadelphia (or something like that).

Don Cameron

• RR
    RR

Yes, Armstrong taught the God Family theory. But the family was originally Jehovah and Jesus. he coorelates genesis "Let us" to mean Jehovah and Jesus. In the 1973 booklet "is God a Trinity" published by Ambassdoe College, there is a subheading on "The Duality of God" which aims to prove Jehovah and Jesus co-existing.

The various offshoots of armstrong have made some changes to this. so if you want to know what Armstrong really taught you have to go the original source. Armstrong.

RR

• steve2
    steve2

Armstrong's earnest and lengthy belly-aching over who comprises God reminds me of the boringly infantile nature of so many expositions on the Trinity versus other views of "God's" composition.

Life is way too short to fuss and fight over all these crazy-making doctrines. One of the best things to happen to Armstrong's movement was his death which has effectively splintered his organization into a zillion little offshoots of The Revealed Truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit