Reason for splitting up watchtower editions

by Ozner 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Ozner
    Ozner

Tonight I did wake up and I knew it! The reason for splitting up the Watchtower editions in a public and a study version. The reason is the same as for splitting up the Watchtower Society in CCJW, Kingdom Support, Inc, Religious Order of JW (and local convention planning organisations, read the Anderson-files about having no agents everywhere), just juridical! What do I mean: it will not take long before the first juridical cases against JWD and other forums go out only for providing the study edition of the Watchtower, because the copyright. It is not for the public anymore, so the lawyers and juridical advisors at Paterson will act soon. Just wait.

Ozner

• dawg
    dawg

I don't think they'll have a case, you can't sue an enitity that makes no money on a product. If I use any copyrighted material yet don't make a profit using it I don't have to pay. It's like playing a Beatles song at a party, do we have to pay to do that? No, and since the WT is a non-profit they don't charge for the publications, we don't have to even buy them, so using them can't be attakced as long as no monay is being made... I truyly don't think the WT is that smart; I think they know they're losing pubs and soon they'll have to go bankrupt, I hope. THat's the reason for keeping the pubs isolated, that's all.

• oompa
    oompa

As long as the material is dispensed for free, I don't know if they have a case. Where would the monetary damage to WT come from due to reproducing the material?.....oompa

• metatron
    metatron

The primary reason for splitting up the Watchtower editions?

$$$$

That's it in a nutshell. They get to reduce the number of mags printed and not alert stupid Publishers

to the fact that they aren't getting enough donations to Jehovah's Organization.

metatron

• yknot
    yknot

This leads me to my "dumb" question of the month. If the study edition carries enough articles to last until March, will there be a Feb study edition?

Thanks

Yknot

• yknot
  • AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Thanks for your thoughts Ozner. Since both editions are published by the same legal entity, there is no legal basis to sue someone outside the borg for how they use it. (esp since a stranger can still get a copy at the weekly WT study... for now) JW's are distributing the different editions to different groups, but there is no litigation strategy to pursue the way things stand.

Perhaps your idea would have more legal merit if the two editions were printed under two seperate corporations, but they aren't.

• justhuman
    justhuman

money sorting

• oompa
    oompa

ATJEFF...Good point...I will pay more attention to JW wt changes when they start doing closed door, photo-id, scan card entry meetings!...oompa

• AGuest
    AGuest
    you can't sue an enitity that makes no money on a product.

Actually, I don't think this is entirely true, dear Dawg. May you have peace!

If I use any copyrighted material yet don't make a profit using it I don't have to pay.

Again, I don't think this is entirely true, either. Think Napster: not the company itself, but those who download music, for personal use (vs. profit) without paying. If you're only planning to download it for your own use, what's the problem?

It's like playing a Beatles song at a party, do we have to pay to do that? No

No, because this would be considered an "authorized" use.

and since the WT is a non-profit they don't charge for the publications, we don't have to even buy them, so using them can't be attakced as long as no monay is being made...

Again, I don't think this is entirely true, as a copyright doesn't necessarily protect only against those who wish to make a profit. It's primary protection is against "unauthorized" use. So, if you USE copyrighted material for an UNAUTHORIZED use... you may have committed infringement and be subject to a lawsuit.

I truly don't think the WT is that smart; I think they know they're losing pubs and soon they'll have to go bankrupt, I hope. THat's the reason for keeping the pubs isolated, that's all.

In truth, the reason was prophesied at Revelation 13:17. It has had earlier fulfillments, too, through such things as the Catholic church not allowing laity to possess a Bible, or condemning as "witches" and burning at the stake those who read one... I bid you all peace. A slave of Christ, SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit