Career change??

by serendipity 22 Replies latest jw friends

• serendipity
    serendipity

What are your experiences with career changes? How did you decide on your new career? Did it work out as you planned? What advice would you give someone contemplating this?

I'm feeling really out of sorts in all areas of my life: at home, I have the pending empty nest, I'm annoyed with most of my family and friends, I absolutely HATE my job and the corporate environment I work in is toxic. After all these years of being a single parent and corporate drone, focusing on responsibilities, I don't have a clear picture of what I LIKE to do. I don't know if this is a mid-life crisis and my experience is par for the course, but I feel very compelled to make a change (so much so that I volunteered to be laid off.) I'm trying to figure out what I want to do the next 15-20 years I have to work. I may soon get the opportunity to leave my employer with a nice fat severance check and I don't want to squander the opportunity.

Thanks for any help...

• serendipity
  • Gopher
    Gopher

Sounds like you and Ms. Purplesofa are in the same boat.

I'm stuck in cubicle-land right now. The funnest part is that I get to take some time and post on JWD!!

I did a career change last year, at the suggestion of a recruiter who saw a better skill fit for me as an analyst instead of a programmer. Armed with that advice I was able to land a BSA position within 2 weeks. I took a little less pay to do it, but it has broadened my career outlook (so far).

• solidergirl
    solidergirl

What help me was taking a career survey it helped a lot. Now I'm on my way of becoming a CSI my dream job. Cause A.) I like researching and investagating diffrent thing B.) I want to help people C.) I'll be out in the field

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Yes, sounds the same for me.

I just can't do it anymore. My life as a Mom, wife, housekeeper, and all the duties that came with it are over. The jobs I needed to keep all that going, being a single mom are not necessary anymore and were literally making me physically sick.

I have stayed home for a month now and done nothing......but REST!!!!! I can fineally feel a new surge of energy and life I only dreamed of. I am doing what I can to get something started with my drawings. Talking to people, networking, getting ideas. My circle of people are changing and these are the people I always wanted to hang with, but was tied down with so many responsiblities.

Today I went to corporate office(job I just left) for some business I needed to take care of. It was great to see old co-workers, hug, kiss and catch-up. Went to lunch with co-worker and we talked. Her life is so caught up in drama BS. She is a supervisor and makes alot of money and I felt really sorry for her.

I have simplified my life to almost nothing (thank-you WT for teaching me that) I see people take what I thought were these huge risks and crazy ideas, ~~~ not the conservative way I lived~~~ and thought it was too risky.

But you know, they all have homes, cars, clothes and they don't look to be starving.....and whats more they are HAPPY!!!!!!

My sis, two years younger than me, finishing up some college courses, and she is going to teach nutrition and fitness.........Jumped out of her old career, starting a new one......... and she is 46!!!!!

I think being patient and not anxious.........give yourself some time to detox from your old job and old way of thinking............then the new stuff can be born.

good luck

purps

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius
    I don't know if this is a mid-life crisis and my experience is par for the course, but I feel very compelled to make a change (so much so that I volunteered to be laid off.) I'm trying to figure out what I want to do the next 15-20 years I have to work. I may soon get the opportunity to leave my employer with a nice fat severance check and I don't want to squander the opportunity.

for gods sake........ dont do what my father did..................

took a voluntary lay off............... paid off all his bills.............. and regular pioneered for the next 3 or 4 years...........

what a total ******** waste of time.

• oompa
    oompa

Dipity, I am about your posted age and have a similar problem. Unfortunately, I dont have much help for you. I have always thought it would be so great to make money doing something I loved. What do you have a passion for? I own a good sized business with about 25 employees and it has provided a comfortable life for over twenty years, but I hate my field and always have. I feel like it is a looming midlife crisis....what do I want to do for the next 15 years or so? More of the same or a big change...but have no clue as to what to do.....unsettleing isnt it?....oompa

• brinjen
    brinjen

I'm in between jobs at the moment - literally. I left my job Wednesday last week, start Monday with a company I've already worked for. Bit less money, lot less stress that's why I did it.

It's been nice having some time off, this is the longest I've gone without working in over three years, been able to kick back, relax, catch up with some jobs I'd been meaning to get around to, feeling quite refreshed and relaxed.

I'm basically going to stick it out with this job for a couple of years while do some on-line study (definitely an art course) and see where they take me.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I'm on career number 3.

Self employed...and it rocks.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I've changed work several times - I am usually self-employed, try to work at something that I like, or something that is less than full time and pays for what I like. However, I now own a business with 8 employees - I still like the work, but this year has been stressful because of my life in general. I like my business; I just want to stay home for a while, get some rest, organize my house, stuff like that. I hope you figure out something that pays the bills, is less than full time, allows you to enjoy your life more and spend more time with people who matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit