Bad News -- FDA Warnings for Anemia Drugs

by Rabbit 11 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Sadly, if JW's rely too much on the hope that certain drugs that boost production of red blood cells, this new danger leaves them with even less viable options.

Rabbit

November 08, 2007 WebMD: Better Information. Better Health. </form>

Anemia Drugs Change Black Box Warning

FDA Approves Revision to Warning Label for Procrit, Aranesp, and Epogen Anemia Drugs By Miranda Hitti
    WebMD Medical News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Nov. 8, 2007 -- The FDA today approved revisions to a "black box" warning and other safety-related label changes for the anemia drugs Procrit, Aranesp, and Epogen.

Those drugs are erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs). They boost production of red blood cells.

The revisions expand labeling changes made in March 2007, which emphasize using the lowest possible dose of the drugs to avoid the need for a blood transfusion.

Highlights in the revised warning include:

• Risks for certain cancer patients
    • Risks for patients with chronic kidney failure
    • A statement that ESAs haven't been shown to improve symptoms of anemia, fatigue, and quality of life in cancer patients.

"FDA strongly recommends that prescribers talk to their patients about the risks that ESAs might cause cancers to grow more quickly or shorten survival before they prescribe these drugs or continue ESA therapy. These risks should be weighed against the potential for red cell blood transfusion and their associated risks," the FDA's Richard Pazdur, MD, said in a news conference.

Pazdur directs the FDA's Office of Oncology Drug Products.

Procrit, Aranesp, and Epogen

ESAs are approved for treating certain cases of anemia, including in some cancer patients and people with chronic kidney failure.

Epogen and Procrit are also approved for use in certain anemia patients who are scheduled to undergo major surgery to reduce blood transfusions during or shortly after surgery and for the treatment of anemia caused by zidovudine (AZT) therapy in people with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

ESAs and Cancer

For cancer patients, the new boxed warnings emphasize that ESAs caused tumor growth and shortened survival in patients with advanced breast, head and neck, lymphoid, and non-small-cell lung cancer when they received a dose that attempted to achieve a hemoglobin level of 12 grams per deciliter (g/dL) or greater.

The boxed warnings also emphasize that no clinical data are available to determine whether there is a similar risk of shortened survival or increased tumor growth for cancer patients who receive an ESA dose that attempts to achieve a hemoglobin level of less than 12 g/dL. This is the hemoglobin level commonly achieved in clinical practice.

Health care providers determine whether a patient is anemic and decide on ESA dosing by measuring how much of the protein known as hemoglobin is present in a patientâ??s red blood cells.

An earlier boxed warning, approved in March, described the results of six studies demonstrating that survival was shorter and tumors progressed faster when ESAs were used to achieve hemoglobin levels of 12 g/dL or greater in cancer patients.

Todayâ??s new boxed warning also clarifies that ESAs should only be used in patients with cancer when treating anemia specifically caused by chemotherapy and not for other causes of anemia.

Moreover, the revised warning states that ESAs should be discontinued once the patient's chemotherapy course has been completed.

ESAs and Chronic Kidney Failure

For patients with chronic kidney failure, the new boxed warning states that ESAs should be used to maintain a hemoglobin level between 10 g/dL and 12 g/dL.

Maintaining higher hemoglobin levels in patients with chronic kidney failure increases the risk of death and serious cardiovascular reactions such as stroke, heart attack, or heart failure, according to the FDA.

In addition to the boxed warning, the new labeling provides specific instructions for dosage adjustments and hemoglobin monitoring for chronic kidney failure patients who don't respond to ESA treatment with an adequate increase in their hemoglobin levels.

The new labeling also emphasizes that there are no data from controlled trials demonstrating that ESAs improve symptoms of anemia, quality of life, fatigue, or patient well-being for patients with cancer or for patients with HIV undergoing AZT therapy.

Procrit, Aranesp, and Epogen are made by Amgen. Procrit is sold by Ortho Biotech, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson.

View Article Sources Sources

SOURCES: News release, FDA. Â WebMD Medical News: "New FDA Warnings for Anemia Drugs."

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

Wow .. That is scary.... I was on dialysis for over twelve years. I was taking Epogen for quite a few years because I wouldn't allow them to give me a transfusion. I wish I would have known this then. Thank you for this information.

I had a transplant almost 14 years agoe and my doctor has been talking about starting me on Epogen again. I will bring this to his attention. Thank you

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

WOW!!

I've got kidney failure and I'm supposed to start Procrit shots again next week!!

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

Hi babygirl75

I hope you are doing well. I had taken Epogen for, probably six years. Now I have calcification of my aotic valve. I don't know if there is any connection or not

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Well, the Watchtower wanted the Canadian sextuplets to get this drug. I think the doctors said that it wasn't tested enough on newborns. Now, we know it's not 100% safe for adults. This will make it harder for the Jehovah's Witnesses to argue that an alternative treatment exists for children.

As with any drug or procedure, the doctor & patient will have to make an informed choice after considering the risks and benefits of alternative treatments.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I know that all allopathic medicine carries risks. And they are starting to find out that most, if not all, drugs are more dangerous than they are worth when used to manage a chronic condition. The Vioxx issue and the diabetes pill are two examples of this.

However, when used in emergencies, those drugs can save lives. However, these drugs are often used as alternatives to blood transfusions among the Witlesses. The Watchtower Society is effectively forcing use of those drugs in lieu of blood. Now, it appears that taking blood is actually safer than using these drugs with the new warnings on them. The tiny chance of getting AIDS or a compatibility issue, or an issue with a medicine that the donor was taking, is smaller than the risk of these drugs. And since most blood transfusions are used in emergency situations, there really is no natural alternative.

We need to see establishments stay out of medicine's business. The choice between allopathic, natural, or combined approaches in managing conditions needs to be left up to the properly educated public (and properly educated does not mean having drug companies supply the information that is going to be self-serving). However, when it comes to emergencies and especially when children under 18 are involved, there is no time for natural care to kick in. Taking the damn blood would solve this dilemma, since it would solve the anemia caused by excess blood loss. I do not like the Watchtower Society to dictate what I can and cannot do with my body any more than I like the FDA to do so.

I wish Ted Jaracz would find himself in this situation. Maybe he needs some Procrit or some other dangerous alternative to blood. I hope he finds himself needing an operation that results in excess blood loss, and then finds himself needing blood himself. That would teach him to soften up a bit. And, if he takes the blood while still denying it to the members of the religion, a nice huge embarrassment would be in order for him.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

FDA article

The revisions expand labeling changes made in March 2007, which emphasize using the lowest possible dose of the drugs to avoid the need for a blood transfusion.

Highlights in the revised warning include:

• Risks for certain cancer patients
    • Risks for patients with chronic kidney failure
    • A statement that ESAs haven't been shown to improve symptoms of anemia, fatigue, and quality of life in cancer patients.

I can see why this news is so shocking to many of you who do/have taken these drugs. I have a JW daughter with severe anemia that the Doctors have been unable to figure out a cause. Since she shuns me, I'm not privy to any Rx's she may be taking. It's scary...that the use of the drug could actually cause a blood transfusion to be needed !

That sets up a scenario that could kill her.

The WT sacrificed my mom, now the want a daughter, too.

WTWizard

However, these drugs are often used as alternatives to blood transfusions among the Witlesses. The Watchtower Society is effectively forcing use of those drugs in lieu of blood. Now, it appears that taking blood is actually safer than using these drugs with the new warnings on them. The tiny chance of getting AIDS or a compatibility issue, or an issue with a medicine that the donor was taking, is smaller than the risk of these drugs. And since most blood transfusions are used in emergency situations, there really is no natural alternative.

I'm glad you pointed that out. The WT has given them a 'sure-fire alternative' in these drugs to soothe their fears. That lets them just get further into that mental trap...and when the emergency happens...the trap shuts and their WT trained conscience kills them.

Maybe this "bad news" will scare a few more JW's into realizing what their real life options really are. We can hope.

Rabbit

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

bttt

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

This news story is getting top billing on Google.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/09/business/09amgen.html?ref=health

Stronger Warnings on 3 Drugs for Anemia

</form>

Article Tools Sponsored Byalt

By ANDREW POLLACK Published: November 9, 2007

Amgen and Johnson & Johnson strengthened the label warnings for their widely used anemia drugs yesterday, placing further emphasis on the risk that the medicines could cause heart attacks, a worsening of cancer and death.

Skip to next paragraph

Related

Times Health Guide: Anemia

The changes, made in consultation with the Food and Drug Administration, come after a year in which accumulating data have suggested that the drugs — Amgen’s Epogen and Aranesp, and Johnson & Johnson’s Procrit — can be dangerous if overused.

The new warnings also state for the first time that the drugs’ risks for cancer patients cannot be excluded even at doses previously considered safe and routinely used.

The warnings could contribute to a decline in use of the drugs that is already well under way. But analysts said in general that the new labeling was not as restrictive as it could have been.

James F. Reddoch, an analyst at Friedman, Billings, Ramsey, called the label changes “not bad,” and said in a note to clients that it was now less likely that insurance companies would further restrict reimbursement for the drugs.

Amgen’s shares fell 17 cents yesterday to $56.03, while Johnson & Johnson’s rose 68 cents to $64.59.

The drugs are used by about one million Americans a year, mostly people with anemia caused by cancer chemotherapy or kidney failure. Combined sales worldwide were nearly $10 billion last year.

The main factor expected to depress sales of the drugs in the coming year is a new reimbursement policy by Medicare. Amgen said yesterday that it would formally ask the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, or C.M.S., to overturn that policy.

Medicare’s new policy applies to patients with anemia caused by chemotherapy. Medicare cuts off reimbursement for the drugs once a patient’s hemoglobin — the component of red blood cells that carries oxygen — rises above 10 grams for each deciliter of blood.

Amgen said the new labels on the drugs support its cause. For cancer patients, the label calls for using the lowest possible dose that allows a patient to avoid blood transfusions, with hemoglobin levels not to exceed 12 grams for each deciliter.

The label gives physicians discretion between 10 and 12,” Kevin W. Sharer, Amgen’s chief executive, told securities analysts yesterday. “That’s the main point. And the C.M.S. decision does not.”

But F.D.A. officials said that the Medicare decision was consistent with the new label.

“This is not a target,” Dr. Richard Pazdur, the director of the agency’s cancer drug office, said about the hemoglobin level of 12. “This is an upper boundary for safety concerns.”

Medicare has said that it cannot overturn its decision without new evidence. Amgen said it would present some new evidence, including information showing that more cancer patients are now needing blood transfusions. But some analysts were skeptical that the company would succeed in overturning Medicare’s decision.

The new labels came after the F.D.A. held two advisory committee meetings to consider the safety of the drugs. The agency had first slapped a so-called black box warning, the toughest kind, on the drugs in March as an interim measure.

For patients with kidney failure, the label calls for hemoglobin levels to be maintained at between 10 and 12. That is perhaps a bit less restrictive than the label in March.

But new wording in the label calls for doctors to exercise restraint or possibly discontinue use for patients who do not reach the desired hemoglobin levels after 12 weeks of treatment.

Until now, dialysis centers have tended to give such patients astronomical doses in an effort to raise their hemoglobin levels.

Joel Sendek said in a note to clients that the new label would reduce sales by “eliminating the exorbitant doses given to those patients who have historically been a major source of revenue for Amgen” and for dialysis centers.

More Articles in Business »

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Thanks, Skeeter, for posting that new article. I wish I had put something about blood transfusions in my title which may have piqued more curiousity.

This change is something we really need to get into the hands of JW's that may face a cronic or emergency medical condition. They have been taught these drugs are a 'no worries' Plan B.

Rabbit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit