Friends, Watchtower Children, and Murder

by jst2laws 5 Replies latest jw friends

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Does Anyone Remember Dennis and Brenda Freeman?

It was in 1967 when I met Dennis. My job in the Bethel factory allowed me to move around and work with many different people. I met him on the fifth floor of the factory where I had been assigned and we soon became good friends. He was a thinking man, kind and capable. We spent many hours in deep discussion often on subjects that would today get any Witness in a lot of trouble. Although he was an x-Marine tank captain turned JW, from my experience there was little military about him. We and a few dozen others went through some terrible times together in 1971 and survived. There was a confrontation with WT hierarchy that went all the way to the top. Ray Franz recently said it may have precipitated the organizational changes in Bethel in the mid 70’s.

I drove to Dennis’s wedding to Brenda in Allentown Pennsylvania from which he went on to their special pioneer assignment in Iowa. Shortly he was assigned to southern Texas as a Circuit Overseer where he served till we both arrived back at bethel, now with our wives in 1974. We shared in the exhilaration of watching Bethel liberalize before our eyes with the WT backing off on several oppressive dogmas, relaxing Bethel rules, even dissolving the hated four year arrangement for Bethel entrants. We all eventually left Bethel to raise families. I saw Dennis only once more about 1981 while traveling through Allentown. We stayed a day, had dinner with the family, and got to know the boys, Bryan and David.

Now he and Brenda are dead. They were killed by their own sons in March of 1985. There seemed to be some problem with depression, and then involvement with a hate group, and finally murder of their own family. When I read the story in the news paper I could not believe this could happen. Then the Bethel rumor mill dismissed the parents as low lives who had left the “organization”. I was grieving the loss of friends, perplexed with how this could happen, and angry with the reaction at Bethel.

Why write about this now? I guess I would like closure. On that last visit with Dennis he expressed extreme difference with his body of elders. Later the news reports described how he and Brenda had made every effort to get the oldest son professional help. Remembering the “society’s” attitude toward psychiatrists this may also have been a source of difficulty with the hierarchy. At the time of his death he was no longer a servant. From Circuit Overseer to nothing. He was not an indifferent parent. But possibly not swift enough at removing himself from WT thinking to save his sons.

Now that I have butt heads with the system and have removed myself from it, I would like to think Dennis was way ahead of my schedule, but too late to help his sons.

Is there anyone familiar with this story. I was too loyal back then to inquire and only know what was broadcast on the national news. Those in Pennsylvania who may have known the Freemans, could you tell me what really happened to my friends.

Jst2laws

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi Just Two Laws,
    First the bad news: I can't help you re Dennis; so sorry. I do vaguely recollect a news item about a double murder which may well have been this incident. I also regret being unable to remember hom at Bethel as I was there from 1965 to 1969, but all my time was spent in the home. The atmosphere there, of relative intellectual freedom was muchas you describe, and I for one bitterly mourn its passing.
    There's just no ``comfort zone'' left, alas.
    Do we know each other? Drop me an email.

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

I remember that story very well, I lived in PA at the time. So sad.

I don't remember your friends personally though.

I hope you get the closure you need.

Peace,

closer

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello Room215

Quote: "There's just no ``comfort zone'' left, alas.
    Do we know each other? Drop me an email."

I would like to e-mail you but you address is locked.

Jst2laws

• was a new boy
    was a new boy
    From Circuit Overseer to nothing. He was not an indifferent parent. But possibly not swift enough at removing himself from WT thinking to save his sons.
    2 brothers continue to make plea for leniency decades after murders of their parents, younger brother

Sandra Lettich says it took eight years for her to be able to forgive her nephews Bryan and David Freeman for the murder of her sister, brother-in-law, and younger nephew in Salisbury Township, Lehigh County in 1995.

She says in 2003 Bryan asked the family to help him return to the Jehovah's Witness faith.

Lettich says the family started visiting Bryan, helping him with Bible study.

Local Trending News

She says during one of many visits, Bryan told her he was sorry for what he did, and he wished he could change it.

Lettich says soon afterward she started writing to David. She says he also expressed deep remorse and a desire for his family's forgiveness.

Lettich testified that over the years she has seen a remarkable change in both men. She says when they were teenagers she didn't want her kids to hang out with them. But now as adults, if they were ever released, they could come live with her.

Lettich's sister Linda Solivan also testified about the Freemans' personal growth and return to faith, saying they deserve redemption.

During cross examination, First Assistant District Attorney Erik Dowdle questioned the Freemans' return to faith, remarking that no one knows scripture better than the devil.'

2 brothers continue to make plea for leniency decades after murders of their parents, younger brother | Lehigh Valley Regional News | wfmz.com

• was a new boy
      was a new boy
      Psychiatrist casts doubt that killer is reformed
      Evaluation made of 1 of 2 brothers who killed parents
      MC_IC_1042510350_1042544826_001-0216_TMC-L-FreemanBrothers13.jpg
      A 2006 photo shows Bryan Freeman being led to a hearing at the Lehigh County Courthouse. Bryan was the focus of Thursday’s testimony in a resentencing hearing. Chuck Zovko/The Morning Call

'By Daniel Patrick SheehanThe Morning Call

A psychiatrist on Thursday spent nearly five hours on the witness stand in Lehigh County Court recounting his 2018 evaluation of Bryan Freeman — an assessment that led him to believe the man who helped slaughter his parents and little brother 29 years ago isn’t ready to be freed.

Dr. John O’Brien has served as an expert witness for the prosecution in this week’s resentencing hearing for Freeman and his brother David, who were sentenced to life in prison without parole after the Feb. 26, 1995, massacre in their Salisbury Township home.

Along with their cousin, Nelson “Ben” Birdwell III, the brothers stabbed and beat to death their mother and father, Brenda and Dennis, and 11-year-old brother Erik. They fled to Michigan, where they were captured three days later at the home of man they knew through the neo-Nazi skinhead movement they had embraced.

The brothers were juveniles at the time of the crime — Bryan was 17 and David 16 — so they became eligible for resentencing in the wake of federal and state court rulings holding it unconstitutional to impose a life-without-parole sentence on minors.

Birdwell was 18 at the time, so his life-without-parole sentence stands.

Judge Douglas Reichley is presiding at the hearing. The decision whether to reduce the sentences or leave them in place is solely his to make, based on his sense of whether the brothers have been reformed, as their lawyers claim, or still harbor a potential for the kind of violence they unleashed in their home.

O’Brien testified Monday about his evaluation of David Freeman, and some of the concerns he raised then he also applied to Bryan. He said both brothers have tended to minimize their culpability for the killings by omitting facts or shifting blame.

Bryan, he said, “talks the remorse talk, but when you question him specifically, he continues to distance himself.” He claimed not to remember making well-documented threats against his family and said the massacre could have been prevented had he and his brother been allowed to move out of the house and had avoided Birdwell.

He also claimed a morbid scrapbook called the “Manson notebook” — dozens of newspaper clippings about family murders, including cases of children murdering their parents — belonged to David, though it was found in Bryan’s room.

While acknowledging Bryan has clearly made progress, “I don’t find credibility to his representation that he is fully rehabilitated,” O’Brien said.

In March Bryan, who is incarcerated at the state prison in Coaldale, was subject to a disciplinary action after authorities discovered he was padding the accounts of a prison charity he helped to run.

He told officials he could “fix it and make it right,” O’Brien said, suggesting he wanted to keep the incident off the record so it wouldn’t affect his resentencing bid.

“It’s indicative of a tendency to minimize and avoid responsibility,” O’Brien said. “That’s a concern regarding parole and release from custody.”

Bryan’s lawyer, Karl Schwartz, noted that the disciplinary action was the first taken against his client in 22 years. In virtually all aspects of prison life, Bryan has been exemplary, Schwartz said.

Character witness Eric Stracco, the commutation and clemency supervisor for the Department of Corrections, spent years at Coaldale as director of its library program and as a corrections counselor.

In the first role, he employed Bryan for about two years. In the second, he counseled him for at least three years.

“He was an exceptional worker,” Stracco said. “He seemed to have an innate work ethic that was present without being told what to do.”

He also had a gentle demeanor as he worked with other inmates, helping them navigate the library system.

“I never saw him lose his temper,” Stracco said. “I can’t recollect him ever using profanity. In state prison, profanity is how everyone talks.”

Schwartz asked Stracco if he would have any concerns about Bryan regaining his freedom.

“I would not. I believe he has changed,” Stracco said. “He exemplified evidence of change from the time he entered prison until now, and that exemplification warrants consideration for his eventual release under supervision.”

Against these assurances that Bryan is a changed man, First Assistant District Attorney Eric Dowdle and assistant prosecutor Gregory Englert sought to remind the court of the sheer savagery of the crimes.

They called former state police criminal investigator Joseph Vazquez to the stand — he was one of the primary investigators of the case — and had him graphically describe a series of crime scene photos depicting the victims.

On Monday the brothers chose to stay in their holding cells when a video of the crime scene was played in the courtroom. During Vazquez’s gruesome recitation, however, they remained at the defense tables, lowering their heads.

Bryan wept and, with his chin on his folded hands, appeared to be praying.

Vazquez recounted how investigators constructed a timeline of the killings through interviews with Bryan and David, who were prompted to talk after Birdwell spoke to media in Michigan and blamed everything on the brothers.

Vazquez said he believed David to be far more honest about the events than Bryan.

“I’m torn,” he said. “Maybe give David a break, but not Bryan.”

The hearing continues Friday.

Morning Call reporter Daniel Patrick Sheehan can be reached at 610-820-6598 or [email protected].'

https://enewspaper.mcall.com/infinity/article_share.aspx?guid=18218200-87fc-47ec-a13b-2bedb96f7fa6

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit