Computer advice needed please

by Mr Ben 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

I can't find an answer on the net, any computer buffs out there who can help?

When I bring dvd films from the shop they are always from different zones, but I am only allowed 3 more changes to the zone setting and then it will be fixed permanently on the last zone setting. I can't find a way to disable this or increase the number of times I can allow the zone setting to change.

Thanks in advance,

Mr Ben

• feenx
    feenx

What OS are you using? Win, MAC, Linux?

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

There is a program floating out there on the net called DVD Shrink. It will take a DVD, shrink it to an ISO image that will fit on a single layer DVD, and removes all CSS protection and Region Encoding.

I would use this program to make a dupe, then watch the dupes on your PC. That way you don't have to to worry about that region setting ever again, and you can play the dupe on any standard dvd player.

• feenx
    feenx

DVD shrink is an awesome program, I use it all the time. I agree this is the way to go. You may also need DVDFab, which will rip your current DVD and remove the encryption, then you can compress it with DVD Shrink and take off all region preferences.

Check out videohelp.com

• Maddie
    Maddie

Go to Google, enter your DVD model and the word "hack" where you may find advice for disabling your region locking.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

It can be done in several ways.

DVDShrink IS VERY GOOD.

You will more than likely need to reflash the firmware of the DVD drive to RPC free. This is a bit risky as some of the region free firmware does not offer all the facilities that your current drive does.

I have reflashed several drives, but one would not burn DVDs afterwards.

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Thanks everyone. I use Win XP home.

I already use DVD Shrink. The problem is that the DVD shop has DVD's from different zones and when I put a dvd in the computer I have to change the zone setting, and I only have 3 changes left before it freezes the zone setting.

I looked for the type of dvd drive I have but all I could find was this:

Drive D:
    Description CD-ROM Drive
    Media Loaded No
    Media Type CD-ROM
    Name HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N
    Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
    Status OK
    Transfer Rate Not Available
    SCSI Target ID 0
    PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_DVD+RW_GCA-4040N_______________C108____\5&24E5DB9F&0&0.0.0
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 8/28/2002 11:00 PM)

Any ideas?

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Try this program to identify your drive:

http://www.remoteselector.com/driveinfo.htm

Then do a search for some region free firmware for it. Or you can post the info on here and I'll have a look for the firmware if you like.

That will allow you to play all region DVDs, but MAY affect the recorder function.

• KW13
    KW13

Download VLC Player - VLC Player allows you to play most media types including most regions of DVD. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

• Angharad
    Angharad

You can get either a patched firmware for your DVD player that removes the restriction

OR

Software that makes the DVD appear to be region-free (can't remember the name off hand but I've used one in the past that worked well)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit