Does the Watch Tower get you through the night?

by Hiddenwindow 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Hiddenwindow
    Hiddenwindow

I have to insist on this.

A friend of mine, who is currently an elder (so am I, but will soon fade), once confessed to me that the most important thing for him is that his children grow drug-free, violence-free, and so forth (that type of thinking is, of course, the result of the WT indoctrination process, which divides the world in two: JW here and Satan's people there). In other words, for many witnesses the issue is not if this is the true religion or not; it is a matter of how do I get through the night?

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

I believe what you're saying is true about many JWs, they haven't logically concluded ANYTHING and so made the decision to be a JW.

I think that the WTS dogma is designed to appeal to certain emotions and fears that most people naturally have, fear for one's children-their health and future, our spouses, our own lives. It's just sales! A need is pointed out then the solution is then sold.

You make a good point about your friend. How easy it is to close your eyes and click your heels together and say 'there's no place like the new system there's no place like the new system' when you worry about these most dear things.

They call it 'throwing one's burden on you-know-who'. I call it refocusing worry in a positive direction.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

I completely agree, I can't tell you the amount of times I heard, "well, if it isn't the truth, what's the point?". Witnesses are so convinced nothing worth value can be had in this life, its something to endure hence the hope that they will be relieved of their burden soon.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Hey, it's a good recruiting tactic and a good sedative all wrapped in one. Worked on me. I was indoctrinated when I was pregnant with my 1st child and scared of how to raise a child. They promised I would never have to raise the child in "this wicked world." Strange, that child now has his own children?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit