Welcome to Sacrebleu.....

by fifi40 26 Replies latest jw friends

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

As a welcome gift, Sacrebleu, here is the Ronde des Jurons (circle dance of swearwords) by Georges Brassens, the modern day french troubadour (died about 25 years ago). You will find in it swearwords ending in Bleu, which was the edulcorated form of Dieu. Quebeckers still use some of them, plus the ones of their owns. Enjoy it.

Voici la ron-
    de des jurons
    Qui chantaient clair, qui dansaient rond
    Quand les Gaulois
    De bon aloi
    Du franc-parler suivaient la loi
    Jurant par-là
    Jurant par-ci
    Jurant à langue raccourcie
    Comme des grains de chapelet
    Les joyeux jurons défilaient

Tous les morbleus, tous les ventrebleusLes sacrebleus et les cornegidouillesAinsi, parbleu, que les jarnibleusEt les palsambleusTous les cristis, les ventres saint-grisLes par ma barbe et les noms d'une pipe
    Ainsi, pardi, que les sapristis
    Et les sacristisSans oublier les jarnicotonsLes scrogneugneus et les bigr's et les bougr's
    Les saperlottes, les cré nom de nom
    Les pestes, et pouah,diantre, fichtre et foutreTous les Bon Dieu
    Tous les vertudieuxTonnerr' de Brest et saperlipopetteAinsi, pardieu, que les jarnidieuxEt les pasquedieux
    Quelle pitié
    Les charretiers
    Ont un langage châtié
    Les harengères
    Et les mégères
    Ne parlent plus à la légère
    Le vieux catéchisme poissard
    N'a guèr' plus cours chez les hussards
    Ils ont vécu, de profundis
    Les joyeux jurons de jadis

Tous les morbleus, tous les ventrebleus
    Les sacrebleus et les cornegidouilles
    Ainsi, parbleu, que les jarnibleus
    Et les palsambleus
    Tous les cristis, les ventres saint-gris
    Les par ma barbe et les noms d'une pipe
    Ainsi, pardi, que les sapristis
    Et les sacristis
    Sans oublier les jarnicotons
    Les scrogneugneus et les bigr's et les bougr's
    Les saperlottes, les cré nom de nom
    Les pestes, et pouah, diantre, fichtre et foutre
    Tous les Bon Dieu
    Tous les vertudieux
    Tonnerr' de Brest et saperlipopette
    Ainsi, pardieu, que les jarnidieux
    Et les pasquedieux

• oompa
    oompa

Welcome Sacred, and I like your avatar.....not sure about the holy smoke though.....wikipedia says:

Sacrebleu is an old French profanity, meant as a cry of surprise or anger. It would be equivalent to gosh, by Jove or stone the crows.

[edit] Origin

The phrase originated from the swearwords "sacré bleu", a Marian oath, referring to the color (i.e., "sacred blue") associated with Mary, mother of Jesus. [1]

Other sources [attribution needed] propose it coming from old blasphemous curses relating to God, used from the late Middle-Age (some are attested as early as the 12th century) to the 14th at the latest, with many variants: morbleu or mordieu, corbleu, palsambleu, jarnidieu, tudieu, respectively standing for mort [de] Dieu (God's death), corps [de] Dieu (God's body), par le sang [de] Dieu (by God's blood, the two latters possibly referring to the Eucharistic bread and wine), je renie Dieu (I deny God), tue Dieu (kill God)... Those curses may be compared to the archaic English [God']sdeath, sblood, struth or zounds (God's wounds). They were considered so offensive that Dieu was sublimated into the similar sounding neutral syllable bleu. The verb sacrer has several meanings, including to crown, to anoint, to name someone [champion, best actor, etc], and in the past, rarely in France but more common in French Canada, of swear, curse. Therefore, sacrebleu could be in modern French je sacre par Dieu and in English I curse by God.

Some [attribution needed] think that the value of the word bleu is used to designate the blue of the vein. As opposed to an artery, carrying red blood, a vein flows back to the heart, carrying blue, deoxygenated blood. Deoxygenated blood represents the empty or evil: "sacre bleu" is thus any omen of bad news or shocking ill fortune.........................but I will start using it now........oompa

• jgnat
    jgnat

Welcome, Sacrebleu. I've been dying to ask. Are you a Veggietales fan? http://bigidea.com/index.aspx

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Welcome Sacrebleu...glad you are with us.

Welcomeglitter.gif picture by Lesliev1031

Leslie

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

HOLY SMOKE!!!, I had no idea I was so ignorant. lol

All my life I have heard it said in comedies and/or cartoons. NO I am not french and don't pretend to be. I looked it up on the internet and got all kinds of responses.

"No portrayal of a stage Frenchman in an English farce could be complete without a character in a beret and striped jumper, shrugging his shoulders and muttering 'Sacre bleu!'. Literally, holy blue which refers to the colour associated with the Virgin Mary.

http://www.phrases,org.uk/meanings/french-phrases.html

That is where I know it from. And all my life I thought it meant Holy Smoke! since smoke is usually kind of blue. I don't know where I got it, but I looked it up years ago and that's the def. I got. So now what do I do???????????????

Now I am in a quandry.......... Do I have a cow like a newb JW when learning of the origins of Christmas and Holloween!!! and gasp, change my whole life and change my "name" here on the board? Or do I bury my head in the sand and continue in my ignorance????? What a tragedy!!!!!!! What a dilemma!!!

Now I am outed for the ignorant goof I really am!!!!!! And must decide. Oh, life is so cruel..... lol

Seriously, I don't want to be disrespectful to God. I'll have to think on this.

The reason I didn't separate the two words and add an exclamation point is that I did not want to have to shift and hit the 1 key everytime I typed it in. Am I lazy or just tired or what?

Got any suggestions for a new moniker? (sp)

And I know this is a techie ?, but how do I do a spell check here. I do not have Firefox by the way.

sacrebleu

• snowbird
    snowbird

Welcome, Sacrebleu.

Oompa, thanks for the info. During the Middle Ages, the English used swear words such as God's blood, God's nightgown, God's bones, etc. Now I know the origins of such sacrilege.

Sylvia

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

And YES! jgnat,

I AM a Veggie Tales fan. I love cartoons. I appreciate the work it takes to make claymation, CGI cartoons and even good old fashioned hand-drawn cartoons.

But my favorite movie right now is Evan Almighty, followed closely by Madagascar.

My all time favorite movie is Moonstruck. The scene where Nick Cage's character goes into this long speech about how "love ruins everything" is my favorite speech in any movie. I even did a paper on in for one of my Communications classes.

sacrebleu

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

LeslieV,

Your welcome is beautiful. I would ask how you do that, but again, that is a techie question and I might get my wrist slapped for not asking it in the proper place. So I will eventually ask that. Speaking of asking questions and/or starting a new thread ( I almost wrote string - is that also correct??)...............

I noticed that I can only start two a day. Is that just for newbs?

sacrebleu

• oompa
    oompa
    Blueblood!: Now I am in a quandry.......... Do I have a cow like a newb JW when learning of the origins of Christmas and Holloween!!! and gasp, change my whole life and change my "name" here on the board? Or do I bury my head in the sand and continue in my ignorance????? What a tragedy!!!!!!! What a dilemma!!!

Now I am outed for the ignorant goof I really am!!!!!! And must decide. Oh, life is so cruel..... lol

So sorry! I did not see such ramifications. I would not change a thing. You sure took it well and are a great fit here...oompa

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I don't want to be disrespectful to God

Which one?

What does the Virgin Mary have to do with God?

What does God have to do with us?

It's cool.

Keep it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit