Reasoning Point When Dealing With Witness Relatives...

by deaconbluez 4 Replies latest jw friends

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

One of the common copouts used by Witnesses when they are confronted with the real truth about the Watchtower is this:

"Oh you've just been talking to apostates and disfellowshipped ones, or you've been reading their literature. They can't be trusted."

When that comes up, ask them, "Do you believe that Jim Jones, the leader of Peoples Temple (mass suicide cult) was inspired of God?"

They will be quick to say, "Of course not."

At this point, you can explain to them that EVERYTHING we know about the inner-workings of Peoples Temple and the evil that went on, comes from ex-members. The real truth about Jim Jones didn't get published or circulated until the media started talking with ex-members of the cult. If not for that outreach, or for them speaking out, they would have probably carried on for much longer. (It was the pressure from media and the authorities that eventually drove Jones to move the cult to South America.)

So to say that NOTHING an ex-JW says is to be trusted would be the same as calling these ex-members of Peoples Temple liars as well, and leaving the possiblity open for Jim Jones to be an inspired prophet of God, as he claimed to be.

Hope this made sense.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Excellent point, Deacon, I will file that one away for reference.

• ush419
    ush419

deacon that is a good point, however, most dubs won't use the brain power necessary to coorelate those with jones and those with the society. When asked a question that points out that the WTBTS may in fact be wrong on a point their minds seem to turn off. I have used WTBTS literature to prove a point to people and they have questioned the ligitimacy of the info I have used and when shown to be from the WTBTS they start with well they are imperfect men. They just can't seem to put two and two together.

• oompa
    oompa

Just mentioning Jim Jones could cause some witnesses to freak and cross themselves....oompa

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

jim jones.......... wasnt he of the annointed........... lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit