If you could make the rules for the society...

by wanderlustguy 6 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Last night I was thinking about how the whole ex-dub community is so diverse. There are the pepper spraying, door slamming, picketing, in your face types, and then there are the "I'm over it and moving on" types. And of course there are a lot in between.

Sometimes I wonder what could/should be done and if it's even possible. As a group and in general ex dubs are so afraid of any kind of organization or having to take directions from anyone, which makes it extremely difficult to ever get a real, organized, grass roots movement going that can organize the information and resources to do anything that is effective with regard to the Organization that we are still in some ways bound by.

Just imagine the resources the ex-jw community has at it's disposal, how easy it would be to pool those and start a real, effectve, funded education campaign with regard to the Organization. It would have to be done in stages starting with those who are out either by choice or disfellowshipped being the first group targeted by any kind of campaign. Eventually it could be expanded as more and more of the public is educated, and perhaps even more of those within the organization become aware of inconsistencies and things that need to change. Of course the challenge is to reach those who are taught to toss anything apostate right away, so the program would have to be subtle, gentle, and without judgement of the group.

With any undertaking, you have to start at the end. So the first thing that has to be done, rather than figure out what to do first, is to figure out what the goal is. Wiping the Society off the map will never ever happen. Personally I would be content if acceptance were to replace shunning, so that families could enjoy life together while they can. In addition, changing both the stated and actual policies on college would be great for people, as well as living like the end is any time now.

So then we get to work backwards, how to get enough pressure to change so that there is no choice on their part. I think that leads back to educating so many that it can no longer be ignored, or rather make it so that the consequences of NOT changing costs more than keeping status quo and paying off litigants.

Picketing does absolutely no good in my opinion, unless anyone can give me a single verified account of someone coming out from picketing, even then what about the others. Silent Lambs and some other sites are so bitter you can hardly stand to read the hate even if you are completely out of the org. How do you get the people shooting off little bb guns at the organization to hold their fire for a bit and actually get some things moving in a planned and concerted effort?

Or is it even possible? Are we all so burned that we can never again listen to anyone, even someone who has the experience to organize something like this? How would we know who they are?

WLG

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

No, it is not possible to change the organization. The organization exists to prolong the existance of the organization, and so many resources go there that it cannot be impacted in a meaningful way. The only choices I see are to ignore it, destroy it, or provide an alternative.

• changeling
    changeling

If I could make the rules for the Society, it would be disbanned.

changeling

• wings
    wings
    Or is it even possible? Are we all so burned that we can never again listen to anyone, even someone who has the experience to organize something like this? How would we know who they are?

I know I'm burned out....diversity is what I see at sites like this, not organization.

Grass roots politics...we each have our own issues, our own people. We come here to remember why, and get encouragement. Sounds like you might need some encouragement.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I would never join an organization that would have me as a member. I think Will Rogers said that. Having been a witness I can tell you I really shy away from joining any group that requires any commitment.

Point 2 I've come to the conclusion that life has no meaning or purpose. You seem to have found a purpose.

Point 3. Now your challenge is to hold that thought. See how far you can take it. I'll cheer you on.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy
    Sounds like you might need some encouragement.

Ummmmm that would be no. I got enough of that to last a lifetime.

I was just interested to see what folks thought, and how close I was to reality.

My purpose has nothing to do with the society or the organization anymore, not even a little bit. I definitely would be far from having anything to do with any organization. I think that part of me is long gone, and it's not a bad thing.

As close as it comes is helping others find a way if they ask for my opinion, but that's not about the organization, its about people that just happen to be or have been a part of it.

WLG

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think only the rules against initiating use of force, coercion, and/or fraud is necessary. People that are fully rational will follow these rules. Of course, we all know that many people have been so damaged by the Watchtower Society that they will not function rationally.

In these cases, we have to put the brunt of the blame on those running the organization. They were the ones that initiated fraud to get people in, and coercion (and sometimes even force) to keep people in. This often results in people snapping and doing things that are totally out of line with rationality. We saw a relatively mild example of that here (and more serious cases where householders have sicced dogs on the Witlesses, or even shot them legally or not).

Were I put in charge of the Watchtower Society, I would immediately implement proscriptions of volitionally and initiatorily using force, coercion, or fraud against other members and the public. This means no more hounding people to stay in or to do ever more. It means no more hounding people to give up their fun and do more theocraptic activities. In turn, it would mean that the congregations would have to provide a good reason for people to want to come in and come back. And that would take away the stresses that lead to hounding calls, harassing ex-members and non-members, and the abuses that happen within the organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit