Dog Owners -- Help!

by Inkie 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Inkie
    Inkie

We have a four and a half month old Chihuahua--the cutest little male dog. In the short while that we have had him, my wife and I have fallen very much in love with him. I haven't had a dog since I was a young lad of about 9 or 10 (I'm way older now) so I've long since forgotten how male dogs behave. My question for Help is this.

My little Chihuahua has suddenly started to "hump" various objects, most recently my one-year old granddaughter. It's kind of cute, but not really. How do you stop this kind of behavior? Please help! Please!

--Inkie

• marmot
    marmot

Look up "the dog whisperer", he's got tons of information in his books and TV shows about reinforcing correct behavior in dogs.

Your little stud needs to learn that he's not the alpha male, and only the alpha male is supposed to "mate" (not suggesting anything improper between you and your kids, but that's the way the dog sees it).

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I'd like to know if there's something you can do too. I haven't heard of anything that really works, I've heard of using a spray bottle of water but it's never worked for me. I had both my male dogs "fixed" and after they still tried to hump everything. I thought it was something that went away when they got neutered. Apparently I was wrong.

• Sirona
    Sirona

I heard this was about dominance.

If you are the dominant one with the dog.....and make sure you are! then you should be able to control the dog when it tries to do this.

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/tips/pack_mentality01.php

Sirona

• bite me
    bite me

My male dog did that for a while. Later he out grew it.

I think because of this girl dogs are better, they don't have that type of urge. lol

• restrangled
    restrangled

Marmot is correct! He has not learned that every human in the house is alpha! One of my Dobermans is in full tact.. He has never humped anyone or anything!

If he is trying to mount her, he will also not stop at biting her under certain circumstances. Do not let that dog near her if you can help it....that is a dangerous situation. If she were to take a toy, or do something that bothered him she would be at great risk.

I will repeat what I wrote to Sinora (sorry for those of you who read that thread).....the minute he goes for your grand daughter take your hand and grab the side of his neck, dig in your thumb and fingers until he backs down. Make a sound with that gesture, like ssssttttt or anything thats suits you. Do not hurt him but make sure he feels it. If he ignores you or growls you must put him prone on the floor and do the same until he gives in....(he may scream and fight but hold down until you feel him release his breath and relax. Then you walk away, not him. Your hand is the mouth your fingers are the teeth. One or two episodes like this and you just need to make the sound.

Chiuauas have a mean bite and your grand daughter is a prime target at this point.

The dog Whisperer comes on every day on the National Geographic Channel at 2:00 pm EST. Also on Friday nights at 8:00pm.

He has had many episodes on small dogs, and they tend to be worse than others.

Lets us know how you do.

r.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

Because it is a sign of dominance, you need to show him that the HUMANS are the boss. A few simple ways are to make him wait to go through the door untill the humans have gone through. Also, you eat your food, then feed him. And the biggest mistake people make is letting the dog sleep with you....so make him sleep in a kennel or a dog bed if you can. You may have to put him on a leash to train him on these points...but, you should see a change very quickly. Good luck!

(Also, fix him if you haven't already)

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

All the dogs I've had have done this. Both Male and Female. They are spayed and neutered; it doesn't make a difference. This little dogs are the worst.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    take your hand and grab the side of his neck, dig in your thumb and fingers until he backs down. Make a sound with that gesture, like ssssttttt or anything thats suits you. Do not hurt him but make sure he feels it. If he ignores you or growls you must put him prone on the floor and do the same until he gives in....(he may scream and fight but hold down until you feel him release his breath and relax. Then you walk away, not him. Your hand is the mouth your fingers are the teeth. One or two episodes like this and you just need to make the sound.

Funny thing: I know people who think of training children the same way. While I am not expert on training dogs (but I do feel "successful" with regard to raising children), I have had the privilege of owning a couple in my life and found that the same five (5) easy steps works with them as it does with children:

1. Authority (make sure they understand from day one, who's boss - you start by lookin' 'em in the eye when you talk to them)

2. Repetition (you seriously don't expect them to get every new rule right off the bat, do you? Did you? Do you?)

3. Consistency (let your yes mean yes... and your no mean no - this time AND next time)

3. Affection (there's a saying that "even a dog knows the difference between being tripped over... and kicked)

5. Reward (hey, even a pat on the head goes a LONG way, although a treat... or a trip to the mall... goes a bit longer)

You say no, you mean no. Not, well sorta no. You say stop, you mean stop. Not, well stop please this time. You say what you mean and mean what you say. And you do and say things repeatedly and consistently. And you let them know you love them, because they certainly love you, unconditionally, dogs and children do. Okay, most of them (there are exceptions to every rule).

Eventually, though, the dog... and the child... get the point: "This is how we do it in this house and here, no means don't do it." Neither (dogs or children) are stupid, unless, of course, they are allowed to be stupid (by not being taught not to be), or are taught to be stupid (by our example or examples we allow them to emulate). And if you allow it or teach it, you probably deserve it.

You don't need to physically grab a dog anymore than you need to physically grab a child... UNLESS... they are in some kind of immediate danger OR you have taught them bad behavior and/or allowed bad behavior to go on to the point where your words and rules mean nothing.

I have a little dog (Louis - I mentioned him before) who listens to me, for the most part. He's still quite young (4.5 months) so he doesn't always obey immediately, but he knows exactly where I'm coming from once I use a certain "tone." My husband (a darling of a cream puff - the sweetest man in the world!), on the other hand, let's him get away with stuff: partly because he's a sweet guy and doesn't like to show aggression, and partly because he doesn't really want to bother with the training part, which I totally understand is his perogative.

So, what'm I 'gonna'do? Same as I did with the children: mine always obeyed ME.

Peace!

SA, on her own and advocating for the peaceful treatment... and training... of animals.

• BrentR
    BrentR

My mother in law had a goose with the same problem. I would not go over there unless she put "Huey the shoe raping" goose inside the barn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit