I am finally reading Crisis of Conscience and Awakening...

by LongHairGal 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Hello,

I finally obtained these books from a friend. They won't make any difference about how I feel about the religion now because I already know what I know and have so for at least seven years.

I started reading the first chapter or so of C of C and was horrified about what went on in the beginning of the religion and how young people were told not to marry, etc. I decided to put it down and read Awakening first because I think it will be a faster read and I can relate more to her story. I will resume reading C of C later.

The feeling you come away with is that this whole religion is a TRAGEDY.

LHG

• why???
    why???

Yea I started to read CC at the library and had to put it down too because it was so much to handle and take in at once, and I began reading Awakening too and a few others at the library. When I began reading them it was very eye opening and I didn't know what to think of who I could tell. I still have yet to finish reading CC. Let us know what you think of both of those books. why???

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

the interesting thing to me is that after all he lived and saw, he was still basically a CONviNcED beLIEveR.

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

I too read part way through Crisis of Conscience and had to put it down years ago.

I finished it this year! But what is this book "Awakening"?

I read another book besides C of C when I was first coming out that was very helpful. My sister loaned it to me and then went back in and would never loan it to me again, or even tell me what it was.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be Awakening? Is Awakening that old?

sacrebleu

• LennyinBluemont
    LennyinBluemont

"Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness" by Diane Wilson. Very well written and researched. Should be available from Amazon.

"Visions of Glory" by Barbara Grizzuti. No longer in print. I got a used copy through Amazon. Wonderful writer.

For "Crisis of Conscience" there is no substitute. It should be required reading for any X-JW. You owe it to yourself.

• blondie
    blondie

Visions of Glory is online at freeminds.

http://www.exjws.net/vg.htm

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

I've read the Visions of Glory. And maybe the other one. But they are too new to be the one I am talking about. This was about 20 years ago.

sacrebleu

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    I've read the Visions of Glory. And maybe the other one. But they are too new to be the one I am talking about. This was about 20 years ago.

Might be the other book by Ray Franz (writer of Crisis of Conscience): In Search of Christian Freedom

?

-Aude.

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

Is Awakening as good or better than Out of the Cocoon?

Which one would you recomend to read first?

sacrebleu

• prophecor
    prophecor

Tragedy, thats a good one, yes. A subtle, silent personal horror story. A reflection of what we came from.

Nightmare on my street, everday of my life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit