computer help

by bigdreaux 18 Replies latest jw friends

• brinjen
    brinjen

I use AVG for viruses as well, I definitely recommend it.

Ad-Aware is also brilliant for removing spyware.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Every PC that is connected with the internet should have a firewall, antiviral and antispyware protection.

AVG is one of the better free antiviral programs but I prefer avast. For combating spyware there is ad-aware and spybot search. For firewall I use Comodo.

I also use Opera or Firefox as browsers with the internal pop up blocker enabled.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I don't know, but I MISS BIGD!!!!!!!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Bigdreaux - if you're in IE7 you should turn on your pop-up blocker if you haven't already and set it to block all popups, you can list sites where you want to allow popups from and it will allow only those - if you still have some others showing up you've probably got something really mean on your computer.

I bought the full AVG internet security - anti spyware, anti-virus, anti-spam and firewall. It's a bit fiddly to set up if you're not fully computer savvy but once set up it's brilliant. They're well on top for definition updates too - sometimes 3 or 4 in one day, unlike Norton. If you have Norton installed, you must uninstall it before installing AVG because they are incompatible!

I also have Spybot S&D installed but that's just an extra really.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I used the free AVG antivirus too and it worked great! My mother was having the same problems as you were having. I loaded AVG antivirus and ran it and it picked up 4 trojan horses and her computer ran like new. We uninstalled her Norton antivirus and she uses AVG.

However, I got a bug or virus that AVG would not pick up and it was messing with internet expolorer browser and nothing I tried would get it off so I went ahead and bought Kaspersky's anti-virus and it picked up what free AVG would not. The free antivirus is good but I dont trust it to pick up everything and so far Im happy with Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.

LRG

• snowbird
    snowbird

I don't know either. I also miss Bigdreaux, Greendawn, and JCanon!

Sylvia

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    can anyone tell me what the best program to remove these annoying virisus off my computer is?

Linux

Seriously, my cousins were always having problems with their computer being infected and IE opening up every five minutes. I cleaned out there system about once every month or two. They eventually ended up paying someone to install AVG to protect their computer. After that, they couldn't make any changes to their computer. They came to me again for help. I wiped Windows and installed Ubuntu for them. They've been happy and virus-free ever since.

If all you do is surf the net, use email and a word processor, Linux is a great idea.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Use Ad-Aware, and Spybot. They'll both miss things that the other will get. For anti-virus I currently use Norton, but I don't care much for it since their latest offering is a resource hog.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I currently use Norton, but I don't care much for it since their latest offering is a resource hog.

It's been a resource hog for years. I was using the DOS version of F-prot for years, but they're finally giving up supporting it. Too bad, that was a great free AV program. I ran it whenever I felt like it. I hate crap that sits and runs in the background. I need those resources for other stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit