Bourne is Back!..........Who..?

by Bourne 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Bourne
    Bourne

Hello all,

I am a tip-toeing lurker who FINALLY got the nerve to join & post here about 3 months ago. To review: I'm in a "scripturally" ( at least by JW standards, anyways) separation, hence the apprehension about posting or revealing too much. But, I'm realizing that I'm being a bit TOO paranoid. I'll still be careful though.

Unfortunately, not much progress in being made. We've been separated (her idea) about a year. Upon my request, for the last month, we've begun going to a psychologist who also handles couples therapy. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing, though.

Without getting into all the problems, I've been frustrated by many things regarding myself and where the JW religion is concerned. As I stated in my first post, I have read CoC and read a great deal here, so I am well aware with all the scandals, hypocrisies, etc. (Regarding the WT and specifically the GB's man-made interpretations.)

My main beef now seems to be the psychological mind-set of "putting the truth first", which I seem to be getting from my wife alot lately. They (the GB) have the rank and file SO TIGHTLY wound that they (the rank and file) can't see the marital "forest" for the (GB) trees.

If I was an activist opposer of her going to meetings, service, etc. , I could see the reason to be defensive. Yet, what my wife confuses is the ACT of those activites with ACTUAL WORSHIP.

In the JW world there is SO much emphasis on the meetings and appearances, being there for every single one, etc that they become the perfect excuse not to be there for their spouse, whether it be time, attention, etc. (Sorry about so many "etcs") The actual application of anything learned eludes them.

Of course, I realize that our marital problems are more the reason for these rebuffs, but she uses the "truth" all she can. And it's making me question why I am still trying to at all. And assuming miracle of miracles occurs, the question arises: Do I really want to be in a marriage where I am always going to play second fiddle to the JW truth?

• changeling
    changeling

Your last question is the key. What do you want?

changeling

• Bourne
    Bourne

Very true, changeling. That's something I'm struggling with each and every day. I'm not old but I'm not "real" young either. I want love and happiness. I want to do the right thing. But I can't wait forever.....

• Bourne
    Bourne

Sorry about the typo..I MEANT to type "unscriptural separation".

Bourne

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Welcome. Who said this...? The truth shall set you free... . I think you are right about playing second fiddle. Do you have kids? How about assets? If the answer is no x2 then the answer is obvious.

There seems to be a common thread here in that marraiges seem to fail whenever someone sees reality, and the other wallows in the WTS. To a great extent, I think the younger you are the easier it is to start over again. Good luck to you.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I could tell you how your marriage should mean something more than how much
    time she spends away from you, but I cannot.

WTS makes a person devote their life. You may not be able to stay with someone
    who you have already lost to the religion.

You are already separated. Is there any progress? Do you separately or together go
    to counseling, especially outside of JW elders? If the answer is NO, you may already
    know that there is no progress toward repairing a rift. If you both feel there is something
    there now that you are separated, that is the only hope of salvaging the marriage.

I don't see a reason to stay in misery if you've already separated and nothing has
    improved. If that's the case, the religion will continue to be your excuse and hers
    regardless of whatever other problems exist.

• Bourne
    Bourne

Onthewayout:

I see your point. To answer your questions: Yes, we are both going to counciling. I should mention that there is "a bit" of progress. So, until this last ditch effort plays itself out (which will be the next 3-6 months) , I'll keep on keepin' on, as the saying goes.

As far as additional factors; kids, shared bills and mortgages? None of the above. For which I am eternally grateful. SO, you see, for all intents and purposes, I have only......"only" , (that's a BIG "only") the JW religion and my views to consider. However, the downside is that my entire family is "in". So I am left with the probable situation of an eventual divorce and now trying to reconcile my total view of this religion, while getting past my still-present phobia of marrying/shacking up with a "worldly" woman. Unless I want to live celibate....................., yeah,right.

Sucks, huh. But I suppose things could be worse.

Bourne

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Welcome back. Do what you have to do, whatever that may be. Only time will tell what will happen with your marriage but I wish you the best and hope things get sorted out for you.

• proplog2
    proplog2

If Bourne is your real name are you related to the Bourne's that came from Ohio originally. Some are in Arizona and Wisconsin.

• Bourne
    Bourne

proplog2: I'm am sorry to say that "bourne" in not my real name......and unfortunately, I'm not a CIA secret agent....sigh......the things I could do....+ ....

Bourne

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit