College: Watchtower Counsel Is Poison And Wrong

by metatron 26 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

I'm not an inspired prophet - nevertheless, let me tell you what the future will be for ordinary, middle

class people in the United States:

Inflation is going to accelerate and making a living for families is only going to get more difficult.

The real standard of living in the US may fall. Owning a house and staying out of debt could be nearly

impossible.

Why? Because the U.S. has poor, ineffective leadership ( Bush is just a symptom, not the cause

and Congress has an approval rating even lower than his) and the country is wildly in debt.

The net result of this will be that the dollar plunges and oil and gasoline skyrocket, as well as

food prices - because so much farming is going to be used for ethanol and bio-fuels.

Check the prices of breakfast cereal in the supermarket. I was shocked to see Rice Krispies

selling for $4 a box! The US doesn't export nearly enough of anything and is setting itself up

for more inflation by pouring money into an expensive foreign war.

I can go on in greater detail but my point is that the Watchtower's advice about higher education

is pure poison and dead wrong. Because of listening to these 'false prophets', many Witnesses

will find themselves trapped and sinking into economic misery. Every young person NEEDS to

think seriously about building a good career - or suffer the consequences, for years to come and

be unable to escape.

The Watchtower's lying message about college fails to account for the fact that Circuit Overseers

are given cars, health insurance , auto insurance and other benefits - AND NOT SIMPLY TOLD

TO DEPEND "ON THE LORD" to provide!

The Society's warped advice is the very opposite of 'food at the proper time'.

metatron

• Gayle
    Gayle

This is one of my three top pet peeves (tho others) with the WTS. The WTS stunts their youth. This is unnatural. College reality today is as fundamentally required as high school was even a few decades ago to be able to get decent jobs. College today doesn't guarantee wealth but it allows more doors open for decent employment. The youth pay the biggest price in so many ways in WTS.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I can remember that they estimated the average person's cost of living at about $12,000 a year in the early 1990s (obviously, this was a Puketower estimate since they were ranting that, unless the heart condition was "right", you could give them the check for that amount and they would not succeed). Remember, back in 1991, gas was around $1.20 a gallon and rent averaged around $400 a month. Heating bills were also lower then. Food, medical care, and automobiles cost less then.

Today, costs are about double. Gas is close to $3 a gallon, and in places higher. That $12,000 car now costs about $25,000. Rents of $1,000 a month are becoming more common now. Milk, coffee, orange juice, and cereal have went up significantly in price within the past several years.

Just how far does $12,000 a year go these days? And if it's bad now, what happens when light bills approaching $500 a month become normal? I can remember a time when $20s was normal and $100 light bills were excessive. These days, $100 is cheap and $300 is more common. What happens if oil goes into another 1973-style crisis, combined with another Katrina-like disaster plus a terror attack? Oil could hit $900 a barrel suddenly. More realistically, we are looking at oil at $100 a barrel shortly. Gas could well hit $4 or more a gallon soon. That $4 box of cereal could become a $8 box of cereal if commodities are tied up for biofuels, which are a crappy answer to the oil problem.

Add to this mess the debt. The housing crisis was handed to us by Clinton, who borrowed heavily to give the appearance of a good economy in the late 1990s at the expense of us now and in the next several years. Prices are going nowhere but up, at a time when people are going to be facing housing crises. Another Great Depression is not out of the realm of plausibility within the next few years, unless the housing crisis is solved and the debts start coming down.

Where does that leave the Witlesses who do not go to college? College will not make a person rich. All it will do is allow sustenance under this inflated economy and/or depression. Work will simply not be there if people are not able to afford housing and have so much debt that they cannot spend. Those with college degrees will have a difficult time finding work, since most companies even now insist on 2-3 years of field-specific experience as a minimum. What happens to those that pioneer right out of high school?

Once these shortages, inflations, and credit crunches hit, there is going to be little room for carpet cleaners and window washers in the economy. Businesses will let the carpets get dirtier before cleaning them, or clean them themselves. Ditto the windows. That is going to be one of the first things that is going to be cut back on. And what happens to people that depend on that kind of work? They starve, or borrow heavily. And then the bills come due. Unlike the ones that went to college and still have a job or are able to create one, the Witlesses are stuck. No experience means no jobs. Remember, you can only wash dishes if people are willing to go out and eat; if prices go up enough, that will not be possible.

Definitely, Ted Jaracz was not thinking beyond the Booming 1990s. Even then, most of the Witlesses missed out on the big bucks because they were not supposed to learn to run a computer. If they missed out then, just imagine what is going to happen to them when the credit crunch, devalued dollar, oil prices hitting $100 and up a barrel, $4 gas, and $8 cereal become reality. All the while, Mister Jaracz has enough usurped money from donations to live his few remaining years in luxury before reaping his place in hell. I bet he will be happy when his people are suffering through the Great Depression of the 2010s because they did not prepare for work that is work.

Mr Jaracz, I sure hope you are willing to pay out the difference when all those people suffer the hardships compounded by no college. Remember, $12,000 is not going to cut it. It should be closer to $120,000 and up per year. You were the one that brought this down on the people within the Watchtower Society. And I hope your donations plummet to zero once people start facing real hardships on account of YOUR policies. D.E.A.D.

• hybridous
    hybridous

I agree with everything that's been said here. But it's hard to imagine anything other than an directly proportional relationship beween college eduation and corresponding earning power, and money available to donate to the WT.

Even the people that run the Tower have to know this. By championing the briefest (and least) possible eduaction for JWs, the WT is effectively shooting itself in the foot.

Unless of course, they have performed a cost-benefit analysis, and determined that it's better to have broke JWs who can't reason, rather than better-off JWs who might reason and leave.

• llbh
    llbh

Hi Metatron,

The situation in the UK is very similar

I am surprised you did not get more posts,as this is a theme that seems to permeate here, and it is one of my pet hates also. I became a witness1974 forsook education and yes became a window cleaner - i hate it. I forsook a place at university to do Chemistry. I look now at my contemporaries and think what might have been. Those of my generation that did obtain degrees were in the minority.

I like the rest think that wtbs is very reprehensible. I am doing all I can to influence my children to get a degree the oldest has just graduated with a first.

Now to make brothers and my children think I ask what is the difference between 40 times 10 and 10 times 40? Answer a heck of a lot it first is the number of hours u have to work and the second is the hourly rate!!

ps I do graduate later when I left the borg - like many others here

llbh

• llbh
    llbh

BTw WTWizard, my understanding that Clinton left Bush with a budget surplus and Bush has built a large deficit

llbh

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Forty-seven years ago I planned on attending the local University, and could have attended for four years without taking out a loan. However, I decided on a two-year college because of the Society's stance on higher education. I no sooner had the application in hand when the Assistant Congregation Servant (2nd in command) was at our door. That was a no-no. I was only 17 years old and sure could have used some additional education. So I got a low-paying secretarial job and a couple of years later started pioneering on a shoe string. Then I met the man of my dreams, Clyde, and got married. That should take care of all my financial woes. Right? Wrong. Clyde was a good provider but with three children, it seemed like we were always scrimping. I still felt the pressure to spend a lot of time in service, so it didn't seem feasible to get a job although I finally did go into a part-time sales position when my youngest started school.

It took a long time, but finally my sales increased well enough that I could finally pay the bills when Clyde got sick (years later) with cancer. He had to quit his job and hasn't been able to work much since as he tires easily. Thankfully, he made a few good investments that are helping to keep us out of the poor house.

We made sure that, one way or another, our children got a college education. Our youngest son has a Master's degree in computers. I just can't imagine him washing windows--he has such a great mind. He started college about the time that the Watchtower mellowed on the issue of a college education, but that wouldn't have mattered.

I'd be able to forgive the Society for interfering with my own education if it weren't for the way they are hammering the young people again today. It's just unbelievable. Those young people who are following their advice have no idea what they're in for, but their parents should know.

Bonnie

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Mine was not the average dub experience. My dad was " on the committee" (before elder arrangement) and he believed in education.He was determined that I would go to college and he took on the circuit servant and numerous others who tried to challenge his decision. He won...and made the them look like idiots. I went to college but only stayed a year because I met a guy at an assembly and he asked me to marry him. My dad was beside himself.

I would love to go back and slap myself silly because it was a huge mistake to leave. I had an almost perfect gpa... So much would have changed if I had listened to my dad.

Coffee

• Enjoying freedom
    Enjoying freedom

I get so angry when you get elders on the platform telling JW youngsters not to get an education, to get a job that pays a basic wage and pioneer, ie put jehovah first and all will be well.

What these elders don't mention is that they only came into the religion late in life, had already obtained an education/qualification, had a good job, bought a nice house in the country, great car etc, and werre living off a good pension from that employment.

And then those same elders have the audacity to stand on the platform at the assembly hall and preach to others about the importance of leading a simple life.

It makes my blood boil!

Conversely I know of two elders who are both window cleaners, in their 50's, and hate the job. They said that they feel constantly tired and don't know how long they keep going with the physical demands of the job, but they have no choice. They have to earn a living somehow and this is the only job they can now do. They have no qualifications, and what sort of pension can you have if you have been a windowcleaner for the majority of your life?? That is so sad.

• dawg
    dawg

Graduated from college aged 38... going to grad school at 45... why the hell did I let fools run my life? Anyway, too late to cry, just have to put the pedal to the metal and let it roll. But this thread is absolutly true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit