Someone Just Asked Me to Marry Him!

by Magick 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Magick
    Magick

and must hug you on the dance floor -tijkmo
    now that's the way it's done!

• Magick
    Magick

i met a brother at an assembly ... although i was like 14 or 15, he asked for my address.

he sent me a LONG letter and a marriage proposal written on those brown watchtower & awake wrappers.

even though i was a "spiritual minded" sister ... THAT made me GAG!

it told me either a: he was so dirt poor he couldn't buy paper or b: he was trying to act "theocratic"

it still gives me the willies!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    He has a different mother than I do and she ended up cheating on my dad with about half the town, including his younger brother. I guess I should have mentioned he's my half-brother.

aha then that makes sense

• changeling
    changeling

How creepy and sad!

changeling

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Yikes! I vote scam.

These other proposal stories are so pathetic. It sounds like they haven't figured out that girls in our society are looking for more than a business arrangement!

But I kind of feel sorry for B-D's brother...with that kind of reputation, his best bet will be to post on a date site like "Partners in the Truth" or some other such avenue.

• Mary
    Mary
    B_Deserter said: I have an older brother who has probably asked hundreds of women all over the circuit to marry him. He is one horny sonofab**** and has been obsessed with marriage and sex since his mid to late 20's.

Oh god, that sounds like a (former) Witness I know and foolishly went out with once. I was at his sister's place as she and her hubby had just had a baby, and Brother Horny shows up. He wanted to go see Terminator 2 and asked me if I wanted to go with him. Since I wanted to see the movie and couldn't think of an excuse, I said "okay". He was over the frigging moon and picked me up in his Stealth car, trying to impress me. (I don't give a damn about cars---as long as they get you from A to B, that's all I care about). Anyway, it was a 15 minute drive to the theatre and in that time frame he had told me his life story, all his problems and I couldn't help but think of Norman Bates while listening to him and quickly realized this had been a huge mistake on my part. After the movie and on the way home, he strongly insinuated that he was interested in marriage and what was I doing on Saturday?

He wouldn't leave me alone, wouldn't take 'no' for an answer and bugged the holy hell out of me for months afterwards. Then he went and whined to the elders that I had "led him on" and that I shouldn't have "gone out with [him] if I wasn't thinking of marriage." His reputation in the Circuits is that if you do more than say "hi" to him, he'll propose. At one point he emailed me to tell me he had gotten a girl pregnant. Knowning what a jerk/liar/horny bastard he was, I simply congratulated him on becoming a father which infuriated him. Seems she had a miscarriage 3 weeks later-----ya right......

Alot of wackos out there........

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Your brother sort of reminds me of this severely Autistic person I met back when I was in the psych ward. He went up to all the members of the female staff asking them per verbatim "I have a proposal for you, a proposal for a commitment, a commitment to a relationship." The severely Autistic person was trying hard to get into a relationship but ended up freaking out everybody else because he had no social skills and he was oblivious to everything. I felt so sad for hi.

Pretty much I had to emotionally hold that guy's hand and make sure he didn't freak out the entire ward. I kept him under my wing when he was in the ward because I remember freaking people out like that being slightly Autistic and lacking social skills too. Maybe you should get your brother checked out. He might be a bit Autistic.

Either that or he's just a regular dub who has Awakeperger's Syndrome. That's my term for social skills that are hampered due to being inside the Borg and who can think nothing else but the Borg and who cannot deal with people who are outside the Borg.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

My brother has rather severe ADHD but I think there's definitely more to it than that. The hampering of social skills is a fairly recent development. He wasn't always like that. I feel bad for him too, but at the same time frustrated because of all the times we've sat him down and told him that he is his own worst enemy in the dating world. It's not just in dating but life in general. He exhibits extremely poor judgement, being more likely to spend his last $5 on a movie rental while his cupboards remain barren. I think the problem there though is because he is very good at making people feel sorry for him and will bail him out. He has no problem begging people (even people poorer than he is) for food or money. He presents himself as just a poor guy down on his luck but the fact is that giving him food or money is just making you an enabler. He's seriously degenerating too.

Back when he was 18 and first moved out of the house, he kept his apartment sparkling clean. He had decent social skills and was even able to get and keep a steady girlfriend. Now he's at the point where he creeps out every single female in a 20 foot radius, I'm not joking. Seriously, I'm not. A sister that hadn't met him wanted to introduce him to some unattractive-and-desperately-single sisters in her old hall. Then, he came up to see us. I asked the sister afterwards if she still wanted to introduce him and she quickly shook her head and said "no way." It's really hard for me and by my post it looks like I'm being mean to him but I think it's just years of frustration trying to get through to him and me coming to the realization that he simply doesn't want to change. Me and my brothers will give him great advice and teach him some things, and he'll listen, but the next day he gets stubborn and reverts. I'm convinced that he is mentally unable to learn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit