"Into The Wild"

by changeling 12 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

Somebody here was asking for "tearjerkers" the other day. Be sure not to miss this one.

Very powerful movie.

changeling

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings Changeling,

Any commentary you might provide would be appreciated ... I'm unfamiliar with this title.

Thank you,

CoCo

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

It's on my must see list I think this weekend for sure! Thanks for the reminder.

• Gopher
  • MegaDude
    MegaDude

Big fan of the book.

Chris McCandless was an educated, well-liked young man from a well-to-do family who ended up starving to death on an abandoned bus in the Alaskan wilderness. How he got there and what happened is a fascinating story. Before he died, he wrote a goodbye note and photographed himself waving goodbye.

The book was written by Jon Krakauer who did a superb job of writing it called "Into the Wild." He also wrote the original article about Chris McCandless in Outside Magazine which was later expanded into the book. It's really good writing. http://outside.away.com/magazine/0193/9301fdea.html

If you want, I'll post Chris's last picture for a day or so. So far, I have never seen it on the net.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanx, Gopher -

A sad but fascinating story. I appreciate your putting up that link.

CoCo

• onesong
    onesong

Great book-- can't wait to see the movie!

Check out Krakauer's "Under The Banner of Heaven" another great book he's written, this one about the Mormon's.

It played a large part in opening my eyes to the Watchtower in seeing the many similarities.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Great movie and an even better book IMO. Penn really put his heart and soul into the project.

GBL

• Frank.L
    Frank.L

Yeah! This is the movie from the song I posted check it out....absolutely great music eh? Sean Penn did a great job i hear......

www.jehovahs-witness.com/27/145039/1.ashx

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

This actually happened not far from where I live. The trailhead is around 20 miles south of me I think? They filmed parts of the movie even farther south than that, I guess the guy who found a bus to mock up still has it sitting in his driveway. Those who ended up being involved in the movie as contractors and whatnot all had really great things to say about Sean Penn and his crew. He's still talked about as being very down-to-earth and respectful.

The attention with the movie has caused a lot more traffic to and from the actual bus. Community members are a little worried about how this story is percieved and romanticized and people trying the same thing. Alaskans hold a dim view of what happened in the first place. I've seen the directions to the bus described as- "Here's the map. Here's where you gotta go. This is where you park. This is where you walk. This is where you maybe drown. This is where you maybe get eaten by the bear and the mosquitoes get you. And that's where you die". Most sane people know that the Alaskan wilderness isn't a place to find yourself. But it sure does make a good story I guess.

I do plan on seeing it though. I've heard that the cinematography is good, and it's a rare thing when a movie about Alaska isn't filmed in British Columbia or New Zealand!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit