Do you think God is a Liar?

by BONEZZ 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

I've struggled with trying to believe in a God since I left the fold. I've been indoctrinated by Dubizm for most of my life and more and more it all seems pretty incredulous. The latest Lady Liberty post about Adam caused a lightbulb to go off...and I know you'll let me know if I'm wrong in my assessment.

All my life I've heard, "God cannot tell a lie" and "The Bible is TRUE." Well it is my understanding that God created Adam first and then because of Adam's "loneliness" HE created Eve.

Well, what is a Man? As opposed to a Woman? It's his sex organs. If Adam was created a Man that means he had sex organs. What the hell was he supposed to do with them unless God had meant to create Woman all along? Does that make sense? It's still early in California?

Or God foresaw what was going to happen...but according to Dubizm, God turns off the foresight, right?

-BONEZZ

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

You can drive yourself crazy trying to make sense of it. Personally, I have come to the conclusion that god doesn't lie because god doesn't exist. Oh, I've waffled on that, to be sure... but the longer I'm away from the cult, and the more research I do, the more I am certain of it.

J

• Robdar
    Robdar

No, I do not think God is a liar. I think that religious organizations and people who try to contain him/her in a book are liars.

Throw away what you have been taught, open your mind, and then get to know God. You might be surprised at what you see and find.

• Gopher
    Gopher

No, because if there is a God he had nothing to do with the collection of books that people call the "Holy Bible". That book is just one ancient civilization's attempt to explain the unexplainable. As such it is filled with holes such as the one you point out.

Many men have lied and committed war in the name of a God they imagine or claim to be serving.

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Jeannie & Robdar,

Thanks and I am considering all options at this time. It's just frustrating when you are born into something. You always think your parents are right so it's doubly rough when you discover they were wrong about everything and you're starting over trying to grab onto something in mid-life. I think I'm gonna with the "eating, drinking and doing Merry" approach...at least for now.

-BONEZZ

• Sirona
    Sirona

When I left the JWs I searched lots of religions. I read a lot.

God doesn't have to be the Yahweh described in the bible. There are lots of concepts of God.

My personal views are that God permeates everything and is within and also outside the universe. However, human beings, as we interact with God, see certain "faces" or "facets" of god. So some would see an angel, some would see Allah, some Buddha, some Jesus, some Diana, Isis, Zeus, Hathor, Aphrodite.... etc.

Religious texts exist and give us insights. That is all they can provide us with, insights. We cannot take any religious text as 100% literal or 100% accurate.

Have you researched other faiths- non christian aswell?

Sirona

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Gopher,

Exactly. The Dubs trust a book that was basically entrusted to their arch-enemies...The Catholics. By the way I have some of your family living in my lawn...can you tell me how to get rid of them? Thanks

-BONEZZ

• Gopher
    Gopher

#MC4. Mole and Gopher Repeller
    Mow Over Mole and Gopher Repeller, Control of Mole, Gopher, Ground Squirrel, Any Burrowing Rodents
    $21.99

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Sirona...I think you've probably nailed it. I think it's an individual thing. (I haven't investigated much else yet. The Dubs do a great job of trashing just about everyone) Some people (maybe me too) need a structured belief...others like my atheist girlfriend has very high ethical standards and doesn't believe in a "higher" power. A lot of it is probably how we were raised. The imprint left in our young minds. I believe people born into Dubs or other cults have more of a struggle.

Gopher...thanks. I might just try that...beats the hell outa poison and smoke bombs.

-BONEZZ

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I don't believe God is a liar at all. You have to understand that the Genesis account which many believe was written down for the Jewish nation by Moses, was actually orally told for hundreds of years before Moses was even born. Some even believe the story was borrowed from other nations around before the Isealites and retold by Moses.

I believe the purpose of the Genesis account being told is to simply explain how man came into being. But some of it such as that God created woman because it was not good for man to be alone, I believe is the opinion either of the original teller of the story or Moses who put the creation story in written form. Of course it was God's intention for man to procreate the earth so woman was needed whether or not Adam asked for her to be created.

You will rack your brain trying to understand the bible if you take everything literal. Now I personally believe the bible has merit and parts of it were inspired by God (the prophetic parts that is), but I don't believe it is all to be read with a literal intepretation. The Genesis account is a good example to use to see why literalism does not work.

It says in Genesis that man was made from the dust of the earth. What exactly does this mean? Do you think God literally picked up a pile of dirt and fashioned man like a potter with clay, using his giant hands? Or, could it mean God used the elements found in the dirt to make man? Interestingly, scientists agree that you will find in the human body the same elements found in dirt of the earth. Another thing to consider is that even if God created man it does not mean that evolution did not have a part in it. Again Genisis simply states "man was made from the dust". It does not go into detail as to HOW God actually made man. If it did, we will probably not be able to understand it even today (man that is) let alone men in ancient times.

who can understand God's thoughts? No one can. And remember the Bible is a book although inspired of God, was written by men. Some whom were very simple. They were trying to express thoughts about God and life all the while struggling to understand God and the world around them themselves. And included in this book we know are histories, prophecies, poetry, illustrations, and many other types of writings that are NOT to be taken as literal.

Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit