What's Your View of Spiritism Now???

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Of course, as Witnesses, everything was possibly "demonized". If you got anything second hand, you could be in demon trouble. If you saw a horror movie or read anything by Stephen King, you were inviting the demons to you. If you played Ouija boards or similar games, you were in direct contact with the demons. Seeing a fortune teller was demonism. Practicing yoga was demonic. Believing that dead loved ones could communicate with you meant you were really talking to a demon. And the list goes on.......

Do you now believe in anything that could be viewed as "demonic"?

• ninja
    ninja

I thought spiritism was the study of scotch whisky.......I have been very involved in this field of study for the longest time.......and by the way....I believe in denims too

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I guess there is no need for me to really answer that question, hey min?

• Scully
    Scully

It's taken me a long time to desensitize myself from my JW paranoia of the unknown.

One of my kids loves scary movies. The gorier the better. We went to the el-cheapo video rental place and got all the Stephen King movies we could for $1 each and had a movie marathon. It was the first time I watched movies like Poltergeist, Carrie, Fire Starter, Christine, Pet Semetery, etc. I'd seen Misery a couple of times before so we started with that one and worked our way through the pile. I think we also found an old copy of Rosemary's Baby (based on the book by Ira Levin, author of The Stepford Wives) and watched that too.

Then she got me to watch Saw and The Messengers with her. The old classic creepfest of Stephen King movies seemed like watching Sesame Street or Mr Rogers' Neighborhood by comparison. I had to laugh though that those old movies were considered so demonic by JWs back in their heyday.

I am getting better though... We watched 1408 on the weekend and 28 Weeks Later as well.

• minimus
    minimus

When I see persons who assist the police with missing persons thru paranormal means, I believe this is productive and real!~ Why would the "demons" have to be responsible for helping people out??

• Scully
    Scully

Minimus,

Do you remember that show from the late 80s/early 90s Unsolved Mysteries?? That used to be a favorite of mine, especially when they were exploring THE UNEXPLAINED.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Buttlight:

I guess there is no need for me to really answer that question, hey min?

Nor me!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Well as a pagan I do hold entirely different views to those held whilst a witness; I believe in reincarnation, I use various forms of divination, and believe that our ancestors and physically dead loved ones exist on other level, I believe and use healing energy, and I also use various forms of meditation.

The question people really should ask is why Christianity or JWs sought to demonise these activities and or beliefs in the first place - was it to prevent believers from finding out that there was more out there than what meets the eye? Fundamental to Christian beliefs is the need for a redeemer or mediator. By allowing their followers to have a direct communication with spirit is almost in my view, tantamount to removing the need for a redeemer and therefore the need for the church.

I am not for one minute suggesting that Christianity is all bad - far from it, it is a valid belief system as is any but where I do take exception is where it shows intolerance for other paths and engenders dogmatism.

Just my tupenny worth.

G

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

I am a pagan now, but not all pagans do workings, and if they do, they don't necessarily mess with all the different areas.

I am not into "spiritism," really. I may change my mind, but I leave them alone right now.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Ouija Board. A few years ago one of my family members and I tried the Ouija Board after a few drinks. We asked it two questions and the pointer moved and answered us in a positive way. We asked each other if we were moving the pointer and we answered no. We could feel the force of the pointer moving our hands. We stopped immeadiately as we got scared, we haven't used it since. We don't know what to make of the experience.We were not drunk. I know that the ouija Board has been debunked by Penn and Teller and others, so, I don't have an answer to this experience.Do you know of any?

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit