Suggestions needed?

by jc1985 11 Replies latest jw friends

• jc1985
    jc1985

Well ive been raised in the truth for 20 years, and serve as an MS, but have overtime realized that its not actually the "truth".

Any thoughts on how to best let it be known that im not interested in being a witness, and once thats accomplished how to assimilate myself into

the "world", since ive been shut off from it for my whole life and programmed to believe every non witness is only interested in hurting others.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

Get out there and experiece it. Don't pre-judge people, don't trust people till you know them well. Keep true to yourself. And welcome!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest reading a lot here and seeing how others have adapted to post-JW life.

And also, feel good that you made this discovery while at such a young age. I was raised JW, and it took me till age 39 to get separated from it.

I quickly discovered that I had been lied to by the WTS about people outside their organization. Most are humble folks just trying to get along, and usually happy to listen or lend a willing hand,. Not everybody, but a lot more than you'd think reading WTS propaganda.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Welcome to JWD -

Like gopher said, be glad you got out while you are young, make friends but most of all get out there and experience life. It's not the big bad world that the WT claims it to be.

nj

• BrentR
    BrentR

Find a hobby that will allow you to get together with others that have the same interests. You will quickly make friends, real ones that don't care what religion you are involved with or not. Having non-JW friends is absolutely vital. If you have non-JW family now is great time to re-connect with them.

It's not an easy task but a very worthwhile endevour for your mental health. Welcome to JWD!

• Smiles_Smiles
    Smiles_Smiles

Welcome to the forum. You have decided to take a big step in your life. Congrats!!

As far as leaving ... many people choose different ways to do it. It really depends on what is most important to you. Family/Friends/Freedom/Approval/ etc.. THAT you probably have to decide for yourself and the decision will kind of point you to what is the best way for YOU to leave.

As far as the 'world' is concerned ... people are people. Use your intuition (not that stuff that's left over from your religious slavery ~ I'm talking deeper). Dont judge yourself as well as others. Be accepting of who you really are down deep once you drop all of the JW facods. That is the starting place of living life. That is the starting place of seeing what you are really like and who you will gel with in this world. Go out with co-workers, fellow students, etc. You will find people you want to hang with and people you dont. Be careful of attaching too much to any certain one or 'ideal' at least until you find your footing. You may go through people/friends and 'ideals' for a good while until you settle on who you really are w/o the religion.

Most of all ENJOY YOUR JOURNEY ... part of it has just begun. LIFE IS GOOD WHEN YOU SEE YOU TRULY ARE FREE!

Smiles,

• Happy Harvester
    Happy Harvester
    Any thoughts on how to best let it be known that im not interested in being a witness

It depends on your personal/family circumstances. For some, a quick clean break is best, while others take the slow fade and gradually introduce new ideas to loved ones.

A number of people here have tried both and a number of us have made mistakes in how we approached it all, but we did not have the support that's here; so, take advantage of it. There are a number of ex-elders and elders on the way out here.

Good luck and congrats!

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

Abandon all hope ye who enter here!

Welcome to the world brother seeker, may you prosper and be fortunate on you journey for understanding.

To know oneself is a blessing and gift from God , deny it at your peril.

blueviceroy

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

As a youngster I think it's probably a lot easier for you then most of the older ones on here. One way is to do the fade. Just slowly miss more and more and hope people just get used to you missing and forget all about you. Personally I think if you live on your own, just make your stand. This is easier said then done though.

• flipper
    flipper

JC 1985- I was raised in the witnesses too. I got out 4 years ago, at age 44 . Although I agree with others who say that there are nice people outside of the witnesses who are kind, decent and caring , and I have some friends who are, whether you are a witness or not you still have to be careful who you trust. Because of having been raised a witness, like myself , you may be somewhat naive and unaware of how to identify unscrupulous people in the world who could take advantage of the fact that you only know of your JW world. There are good and bad people, inside and outside the witnesses, so be alert , careful, in finding good friends who genuinely care about you, and not what they can get out of you. It is easy to get used , if you are unaware of dealing with street wise people.

But, most posters on this site are caring and we welcome you sincerely with open arms and heart, and look forward to reading more posts from you. Just enjoy yourself here, read more and learn more of what has helped the rest of us leave and inform yourself and educate yourself about the fallacies of the witnesses. A good read is " Crisis of Concsience ", by Ray Franz . It will help you solidify and confirm the decision you make by reading what really goes on in the governing body of the witness organization. Welcome friend, may you gain some peace in your life ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit