OK back to fluff for a change...has anyone had success making icecream?

by restrangled 42 Replies latest jw friends

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

My dad made it a couple times when I was growing up, I've never tried but Ive always wanted to.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I haven't read all the replies yet, but I know what machine you are talking about. We gave one to my bro and sis in law a few years ago as a gift, and as far as I know it works good for her. I'll have to ask her again.

We have a Donvier machine, freeze the canister and crank for 15-20 minutes. It does come out like soft ice cream, but if I want it harder I just put it in the freezer for a while. I've never had any problems with ice crystals - except if you freeze it for a couple of days. It definately needs to be eaten as soon as possible (not that that is hard to do with home made ice cream!).

One thing I've always done is make sure the ingredients I use are very cold as well. That seems to help with the consisitancy.

BB

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I used to have the same problem with cheap ice cream makers. I used to let the ice cream freeze hard after making it and then thaw it out just slightly before serving. It was OK.

When I came to make cantaloupe sherbet (basically cantaloupe puree and simple syrup), I decided to hack the frozen mass to bits and then run it through the food processor. That was a big help, if I remember right.

gently feral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit